🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client account suspended and I had submit...
Page options
Hemant P Community Member

Contract On Hold

I am new to Upwork. Just two hours after I got offered this contract it's being put on hold.
I wanted to knw whether client has paused the contract or it's because clients account is suspended. I can see suspended written in contract page. Not sure if that means suspended client or suspended contract.

Thanks and Regards

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi Ronnie,

There are two reasons why your contract may be paused:

• Your client has decided to pause your Hourly Contract: If no work needs to be done at the moment, clients can temporarily and immediately pause a contract. This prevents hours from being logged on the contract, without the need to end it, until you are ready to proceed with the next part of the project. 
  • There is a problem with your client’s Upwork account: In this case, your contracts with them will be paused automatically and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.

You can check out this help article to learn some tips on what you can do if your contract is paused.

Update: 

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

~Andrea

View solution in original post

509 REPLIES 509
Will L Community Member

Rita C.,

It is common for dishonest clients to try to get freelancers to complete their projects as quickly as possible.

Don't do any more work until Upwork notifies you the contract is again available. This could happen later today - or never.

Ignore whatever the client claims about the situation. Only Upwork's communications directly with you matter.

The client needs to fix whatever problem Upwork has with his account. There is nothing you can do to help.

Preston H Community Member

re: "My upwork contract with client A has been suspended/ put on hold this morning without any clarification or explanation as to why. I'd like to know if it would be ok to create a Direct Contract in order to finalise the work with this client, as he is on a tight deadline."

Wow.

No.

As a client, I have hired over 180 freelancers on Upwork.

I can tell you straight up: Having a valid, usable credit card on file with Upwork so that Upwork can pay the freelancers I hire... It's not rocket science. If anybody has ever purchased something online? Such as from Amazon.com or anywhere else? You know it's NOT COMPLICATED.

If a contract is suspended or on hold... then as a freelancer, you should DO NOTHING.

Don't work on the project.

Don't try to help the client.

Don't notify the client.

Just wait.

The client is fully aware that the contract is on hold.

And THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO. A freelancer can't help resolve this.

Just be patient, work on other stuff. When the suspension is lifted, you can resume working on the project.

Yaseen A Community Member

Hello Upwork community, I dealt with a client to work hourly on Upwork. after some days, I worked like 25 hours and the other day the contract was suspended. Now I am worried if I will get paid for the hours I have worked or what will happen. also, the client is not responsive since this happened. I don't know what's the actual reason

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Yaseen,

When a contract is suspended, it means that there's an issue with your client's account and you should stop working on that project immediately. You will be notified once the contract is reactivated. Also note that for hourly contracts, hours that you billed prior to the contract being paused are still eligible for payment protection. You may want to check this help article to learn more.

~ Luiggi
Remilekun Gideon A Community Member

My contract has been paused by Upwork and my client's account is on verification and he is not online

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Babar S Community Member
Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Remilekun,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please note that If there is an issue with your client’s Upwork account, your contract with them will be paused and you will not be able to continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, though we cannot share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork
Mwanahamisi M Community Member

This client I started working has his account suspended. I had submitted the work and was about to log in the hours; manual time logging was allowed. But then, I couldn't log hours because his account got suspended. Is there any way Upwork can help me get paid as I messaged him about the payment but he did not reply. Could Upwork email him to finish up on my payment?

William T C Community Member

Mwanahamisi,

Please click the Support button on the bottom right of the screen. Have a great day!

Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Mwanahamisi,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please note that If there is an issue with your client’s Upwork account, your contract with them will be paused and you will not be able to continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, though we cannot share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.

Also note that for hourly contracts, hours that you billed prior to the contract being paused are still eligible for payment protection. You may want to check this help article to learn more.

~ AJ
Upwork
Muhammad Waqas K Community Member

My Upwork account is suspended becuase of my client's reason. He gave me contract and ran away. Upwork paused the contract and now my profile is suspended.

Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi Muhammad Waqas,

I've checked and can confirm that there's no restriction on your account. It looks like you've already communicated with the team about your concern via support ticket and they've given you an update with more information as well. Feel free to access your tickets on this page and coordinate with the team if you still need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Michelle Ann O Community Member

Hi Upwork, 

I have a fixed-contract that started last week and client just been adding milestones if there are new tasks to be done. Yesterday, client updated the contract and set a new milestone but received an email from Upwork saying contract is on hold. 

I'm wondering if it's on the client's side that is the problem or is it on my end? If it's on the client's end, can I notify the client about the problem so he can take necessary steps to have it resolved? 

This is the first time this happened so I'm trying to gain insights. Thank you!

Hi Michelle Anne,

I've checked and I can see a contract that's been paused by your client. Please note that clients can also pause contracts any time they want to put work on hold. They may need to do this for many reasons. This pause prevents you from logging time on the contract until the client is ready to start again. In most cases, they’ll message you to explain why they paused the contract and when they plan to restart it. If you don’t hear from the client, you can contact them to ask why they paused the contract and when they plan to restart.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hi Arjay, thank you for the prompt response. I think that isn't the contract I'm referring to. I have a paused hourly contract by the client which this one I fully understand since there's no tasks needed to be done. 

The contract I was referring to is the fixed price one (my only active fixed-contract) which was put on hold by Upwork. I hope that is much clearer. 

Thank you again.

Thank you for clarifying this Michelle Anne,

However, I took a closer look at your account and I can see two active Fixed-Price contracts. For future reference, If a contract is on hold, it means that there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your clients' accounts due to privacy concerns.

You should stop working on the contract and get in touch with your client to know when the contract could resume. You can check this help article to learn more. I hope this helps.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Thank you, Arjay. I will wait for the client's feedback about this as I already reached out to him. 

Appreciate the response!

Victoria Z Community Member

Hi 

I've been working on a contract for over 2 years and all of a sudden it's on hold and being investigated and I'm not sure why. Any ideas anyone? Thanks 🙏 

Hi Victoria,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I'm sorry to hear about the sudden hold on your contract. Please note that If a contract is on hold, it means that there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your clients' accounts due to privacy concerns.

You should stop working on the contract and get in touch with your client to know when the contract could resume. You can check this help article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Ariful I Community Member

I don't know why the investigation is over 6 months! I've got nothing update from Upwork. What should I do?

Mykola A Community Member

Wait. You cannot do anything. Or close contract and forgot.

Jennifer M Community Member

6 months? Move on. He def has.

Hi Ariful,

If a contract is on hold, it means that there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your clients' accounts due to privacy concerns.

In addition to other members' opinions/suggestions, you can get in touch with your client to know when the contract could resume. You can check this help article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Augustine N Community Member

I can't continue my work due to contract paused by upwork. Pls, what can I do about this so that my contract can commence ASAP. 

Avery O Community Manager

Hi Augustine, 

If there is an issue with your client’s Upwork account, your contract with them will be paused and you will not be able to continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, though we cannot share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns. I have checked the account and would like to assure you that your client is already in correspondence with our team about their support ticket.

We advise that you wait for the hold on the contract to be lifted before taking any action or doing any additional work on the contract. For more information, please check this article.

~ Avery
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members