🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract On Hold
Page options
h_parashar
Community Member

Contract On Hold

I am new to Upwork. Just two hours after I got offered this contract it's being put on hold.
I wanted to knw whether client has paused the contract or it's because clients account is suspended. I can see suspended written in contract page. Not sure if that means suspended client or suspended contract.

Thanks and Regards

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Ronnie,

There are two reasons why your contract may be paused:

• Your client has decided to pause your Hourly Contract: If no work needs to be done at the moment, clients can temporarily and immediately pause a contract. This prevents hours from being logged on the contract, without the need to end it, until you are ready to proceed with the next part of the project. 
  • There is a problem with your client’s Upwork account: In this case, your contracts with them will be paused automatically and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.

You can check out this help article to learn some tips on what you can do if your contract is paused.

Update: 

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

509 REPLIES 509

You unable add any time a while contract suspended.

Stop all works asap until resolved.

You can agree time spent with client later. Via bonus or next week time.

re: "I do manual time for 8 hours a day, every day, and I have a very long project this week, so I decided to put in all my hours today from the hours that I have not been able to put in since Monday. I need assistance, please."

You did it wrong.

You aren't supposed to wait until later to log your hours.

You should log your hours immediately after every work session.

You messed up. Sorry.

alal444
Community Member

My contact was suspended last 3 days ago. I worked hourly with him and did everything by time tracking.

I finished the first week of work last Monday and the payment is in review. And this week the work is suspended before the end!

Will I receive these two payments?

You will receive payments spent before suspended. Possible is client unable to pay. Then your payment will be reviewed by Upwork team and paid if eligible with payment protection terms.

e1fac931
Community Member

I completed an hourly job this past Monday. The client gave me a 5-star review, but I don't see this reflected in my public profile. Is there a lag time? I haven't gotten paid yet. Is this why? When will the feedback show up on my public profile? 

I am a client and posted 5-star feedback as well and it is not posted.  

Hi Lynn,

Contracts only show on your profile after you've earned at least $1 on them. It can also take about 24-48 hours for your profile to update in general.

~Andrea
Upwork
hamzazaki
Community Member

Hello there 

I was working on a contract and it went on hold.

I was an hourly contract and I am new to Upwork as it was my first hourly contract.

I added manual hours and worked for 2 weeks.

But meanwhile the contract is on hold.

I added manual hours,as i dont know how to log time my client allowed manual hours so I added it.

There is work of total $437 and contract is on hold

It is all manually timed I submitted all my work and memos to client and he was happy with my work.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Will I get paid these $437?

If not what about the time that I spent on the project and it's also in progress job is in progress but i am not working on it. how can I claim my $437 ? If I end contract would my JSS will effect?

Stop works asap. If payment will fail then you wont be paid, manual time don't covered.

Hi Hamza,

Mykola's correct. In addition to that, If a contract is on hold, it means that there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your clients' accounts due to privacy concerns. 

I can see that you've communicated with the team handling your case and we highly suggest you continue doing that if you have questions or need further assistance. They will surely review and take action accordingly if necessary. You can access your ticket on this page and on your email.

~ Arjay
Upwork
techybheam
Community Member

Hello. Please I worked on a contract for my client which was for 4:10 hours in total. The problem here is I mistakenly logged it in another clients work and I just discovered my mistake this morning when I saw the contract I wrongly logged inside was placed on hold probably because the payment didn't go through.

Please help me remove the logged time and restore the contract because it was not meant to be logged there.

Thank you.

Hi Onibi,

I shared your situation with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~Andrea
Upwork
marriamtahir1319
Community Member

My contract of mine is paused, it has been two months or more. the client said he has some issues with his credit card but he is not responding and I think he not opening his upwork as well. 

Hi Mariam,

If there is an issue with your client’s Upwork account, your contract with them will be paused and you will not be able to continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, though we cannot share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns. I have checked the account and would like to assure you that your client is already in correspondence with our team about their support ticket.

We advise that you wait for the hold on the contract to be lifted before taking any action or doing any additional work on the contract. You also have the option to end the contract but it would be best that you let the client know to avoid confusion on their end.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thanks

tarikul0153
Community Member

Hello, 

I just got a job and that suspended, my previous job was same result and when its time to get paid upwork just refund the balance, now I'm warried about this time

Hi Mohammed Tarikul,

If there is an issue with your client’s Upwork account, your contract with them will be paused and you will not be able to continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, though we cannot share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.

We advise that you wait for the hold on the contract to be lifted before taking any action or doing any additional work on the contract. You also have the option to end the contract but it would be best that you let the client know to avoid confusion on their end.

~ Arjay
Upwork
jawadarif9000
Community Member

I haven't received notification of the contract being paused and I already submitted work to the client... Now please let me know what I have to do.

Don't do any more work on the contract until Upwork unpauses it and tells you it's OK to work again.

If this is an hourly contract, you'll be paid for work time prior to the pause that meets Upwork's requirement for payment coverage.

If this is a fixed price contract and the pause is due to a problem with the client's payment method, you will not be paid for the work you've already done unless the client fixes the problem. Even then, the client may need to pay you for prior work via bonus rather than escrow.

Good luck!

I have got my payment but my client is unable to log in and submit a review for my work...

tine_donato
Community Member

Hello Upwork,

Reposting this because I believe I was in a different forum.

I was currently invited by a client and here is the contract number: 31557053

I get that they already received an email from you and they already responded with your concerns. They sent us screenshots as proof that they have responded to you. But I wanted to check in if there's any feedback and would the deadline be changed once the work resumes. Is there a possibility to get my earnings if ever the work was ended abruptly? Can you check that the client did not intentionally paused my contract?

I have messaged the client and is still not responding; and so is Upwork. 

Do not give me the automated response and give me the possibilities as to why the client was suspended or the contract was paused. I need answers.

Please send me an update. 

Looking forward to your prompt response.

Thank you!

Upwork won't reply to you about a concern between them and the client. I suggesdt that

you wait for the contract to resume and see about the deadline with your client at that moment.

36efc12a
Community Member

I got email from Upwork on the Friday morning that my contract with the client is on hold ( it's an hourly based) . And on Upwork it's showing suspended. What should I do now?? 

Immediately cease doing any work for the client, and reach out to the client and ask for clarification of what is going on.

...and don't do any more work on this project until Upwork, not just the client, tells you the problem has been resolved.

I got email from Upwork that my contract is reactivated and I can continue my hourly work. Upwork saying I can resume working. 

f44da0e0
Community Member

Hello Sir/Ma'am,

My contract has been suspended yesterday and it is paused bu upwork. My tracker is not working and I am unable to work as my time not getting logged.

Can you please look into the issue ASAP, as I am not able to work since yesterday because of this issue.

f44da0e0_4-1664428538719.png

f44da0e0_5-1664428614241.png

Please resolve and revert ASAP.

Hi Prabal,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your contract. I checked and it looks like your Upwork contract has been paused due to an issue with the client's account. That said, it is by design that Freelancers will be unable to log time on their Hourly contracts until the issue is resolved on the client's account and the contract is automatically restored. Any work completed or submitted on a paused contract or before accepting a contract from the client will not be covered by Upwork Payment Protection.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hello Pradeep,

Thanks for the reply. I have checked with the client and they are saying that this issue has been resolved two days back and now the next action is pending from Upwork side (from last two days).

Could you please connect with my client?

And could you please check and confirm ASAP?

Awaiting your reply. Thanks

Regards,

Prabal

Hi Prabal,

Thank you for your message. The relevant team is already communicating with the client and requested more information. Your contract will be automatically restored as soon as the client complies with our requirements. Unfortunately, I am unable to discuss other user's accounts further with you for security purposes. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

If you want to get paid for all your work on this project, don't do any further work until Upwork, not just the client, confirms the client's account is again in good standing.

A fraudulent client is always going to say you should work and "it's all Upwork's fault" even when it's really up to the client to fix things with Upwork.

h_hermoso
Community Member

Hello,

My contract on my client was been paused by Upwork it's been 2 weeks we still have communication with my client and he said he already resolved the problem but contract still on paused

He must have issues with his card it will remain same just move on

Yes but his card already updated still on paused

97fe41d0
Community Member

Hi Upwork! Yesterday I saw a message that my contract has been paused by Upwork after I had already submitted the work.

I have been trying to reach the Client to no avail. My money is in Escrow, I'll need the client to release the milestone but I don't get what's currently going on .

Please I need the best solution because I can't afford to lose out on my payment. I thoroughly worked for it and I deserve to be paid for it irregardless.

Thank you

Client have payment issue. Don't do more works wntil resolved.

Submit milestone for payment, wait 14 days. It will be released. Or not if client scammer. You can not do anything here.

Hi Redeem,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Mykola is correct, if there is an issue with your client’s Upwork account, your contract with them will be paused and you will not be able to continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, though we cannot share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns. I have checked the account and would like to assure you that your client is already in correspondence with our team about their support ticket.

We advise that you wait for the hold on the contract to be lifted before taking any action or doing any additional work on the contract. You may also contact the client to ask them to resolve the issue with the account so they can release the payment.

~ AJ
Upwork
the3dguru
Community Member

I have a client in Australia, they have been reliable so far and the contract is progressing well. However, they've been caught up in the optus hack which has delayed them being able to pay Upwork this month. Upwork has paused the contract and then sent them a 'refund' of several hundred dollars from my account, I assume its looked through my time sheet and taken out any time with too low activity.

I understand why Upwork is protecting itself this way. But what happens when the clients is able to pay again? Does Upwork give me that money back? Do I claim it as manual time?

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your message. I can see that the team has reached out to you via email with more details and instructions on how to resolve the issue. Please don't hesitate to coordinate with the team through this page or email if you need further assistance so that they can assist you more efficiently.

~ Arjay
Upwork
the3dguru
Community Member

Thanks for the help Arjay, the problem is resolved now.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members