🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Does location change will effect my Upwork ac...
Page options
nawazish-hassan
Community Member

Does location change will effect my Upwork account?

Hi, so I am at Upwork from past more than 2 years and working from same location everyday from my house. 

I am planning to visit another country with my spouse for few days or 2-3 weeks. Having said that I will want to keep working for my clients as I am doing from past few months and I don't want my vacation to effect my work. 

So my concern is if I goto another country for couple of days with same working laptop, will it effect my Upwork account in anyway? Since I am a full time freelancer, so its a serious concern for me to know this in advance. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Nawazish,

Arjay here stepping in for Nikola. We don’t have specific information about this but as Nikola mentioned, In general, if you are traveling and are away from your country of residence temporarily, you don’t need to update your location. If it does raise any flags on our end, the team will reach out to you directly. We seek your patience and utmost understanding.

~ Arjay
Upwork

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
NikolaS

Hi Nawazish,

Thank you for reaching out to us. If you are travelling and are away from your country of residence temporarily, you don’t need to update your location. If it does raise any flags on our end, the team will reach out to you directly. 

If however, you are going to be away for an extended period, such as moving some place, then you should make updates to your account location.

To update your location once you move, simply go to Settings > Contact Info and update the Location section of the page. Please make sure you have an appropriate visa type or permit to work in a country you are situated in and pay taxes accordingly. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hello Nikola, thank you for your response. 

I have a futher query, so approximatley how many number of days will be considered as extended period? Since my travel is not finalized yet but I might travel for the maximum of 10 to 12 days. Will this be considered as exteneded period? Or is it normal and I will not have to change my location.

Hi Nawazish,

Unfortunately, we won’t be able to advise more specifically about this and recommend that you talk to a local advisor to learn more about what you’re able to do while traveling to your destination with the type of visa, permit or any other documents you may have.

~ Nikola
Upwork

I think you missed the question Nikola, I would make it more easier. 

Earlier you said this " If you are travelling and are away from your country of residence temporarily, you don’t need to update your location. If it does raise any flags on our end, the team will reach out to you directly. If however, you are going to be away for an extended period, such as moving some place, then you should make updates to your account location."

So my question is what time is considered as temporarily & what is considered as extended period?

That's all. I am certainly not asking for laws of work obviously that is not the concerned dept here but I need to know the law of Upwork for temporarily & extended period. 

Hi Nawazish,

Arjay here stepping in for Nikola. We don’t have specific information about this but as Nikola mentioned, In general, if you are traveling and are away from your country of residence temporarily, you don’t need to update your location. If it does raise any flags on our end, the team will reach out to you directly. We seek your patience and utmost understanding.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Thank you Arjay! 

fa276601
Community Member

Thanks for the information. upvotted. 

e0f9007b
Community Member

Hey, I'll be travelling to London for about 3 months on a visit. I'm advised to change my location, to avoid any red flags. However, I want to know if that would be a problem? Do I need to submit any documentation like my VISA?

For short terms it is not required. Unsure is 3 moths is short or long for Upwork.

But when needed then you need to confirm location but not rights to relocate. For example house bill with your name\address, not visa.

The thing is i will be staying at a friend's house. So how will i be able to confirm my location 

Community Member

The Information will help us a lot...!!!

fa276601
Community Member

Thanks for this post. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members