🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Freelance Course - Would you be interested?
Page options
virtualbrix
Community Member

Freelance Course - Would you be interested?

Hey Everyone,

I have been thinking about building a course, basically, I have helped 100+ people on here so far and my goal is 1,000 in 2023 but I have realized that a lot of the questions are the same and the theme follows a similiar direction:

1. Choosing Niche

2. Profile

3. Market Research (search upwork, keywords, etc)

4. Proposal

5. Client Communication

6. etc

I know their are a LOT of courses out there now and Upwork has a lot of material. What do you all think?

130 REPLIES 130

My idea is to build it in to a small community, and more 1-to-1 based. It has to be paid because I feel that users will only take things serious when they pay for it.

This surprises no one, of course, but I am a little surprised that you made it all the way from declaring that it would be no cost to this point in 36 hours. Usually there's at least a brief pretense of living up to the "free" promise before the rationale for changing to a paid model comes out. 

Well, the evidence against another free course for freelancers was overwhelming

Looks like it.

No doubt about that, back to work, happy new year!

As a community it is time we make it clear that experienced freelancers trying to build sales funnels out of the less experienced in upwork community forums is not welcomed.

Community Member

I think, if you do, you should at least consider building a similar Client course. I think that will benefit the marketplace more than another freelance course.

Why would a client want to take a course? Freelancers might take a course if they think it'll help them earn money (and even after asking for help, 1/3 don't turn up for the coaching, according to Samer), but clients don't have to learn anything in order to find freelancers. What would be the benefit to them?

Radia is a freelancer. I still can't picture a client wanting to take a course before they post a job. 

I don't understand why freelancers want to throw obstacles in front of clients.

Fair assumption, since many don't seem to bother to read even the most basic help materials.

I think an "'after the fact" course would be great. After hiring.  might work.

Upwork needs to streamline and focus on the rules as they are, to make them simpler. There is no need for an actual course - because no one will take it. If they read the rules, they know all they need to know. Any obstacle to the client will send them running. I can just see a client being told they need a course! Why do you want to chase the clients away? If you were going to post a job, especially if you don't know if you will even hire here, and you are told you need to take a class, would you really sign up?

Who said anything about a mandatory course?

What client is going to want to take a course just to post a job? Anything like that is a deterrent. If I was told it would help to take a course to post a job, I would find something simpler. Upwork needs to simplify the rules in plain, and legitimate language. 

yofazza
Community Member

True I don't have a client account. I suggested those simply because:

• There's a first time for everyone. We don't blame/mock a child who crosses the street without looking, but we find a way to prevent that from happening.
  • Humans solves problems. If current "courses" doesn't work, they should look into it, modify, or find another way.
  • I understand "moral obligation" is not important for Upwork or most of us, to do something to prevent noob freelancers from losing their money on crypto scams as their first experience. But there's more to think about, if that noob is a Client; we're not oversupplied with them, and money flows from them.

Good Links. Thank You!

oww, a course for clients will be useful for sure. a lot of clients need help. I get clients I work with who ask me a ton of questions before hiring talent, this would work.

I agree, would be a nice idea.

dff6390f
Community Member

It;s a great Idea and will serve as a guide to new comers.

There is an enormous amount of information on Upwork, from basic safety to ending contracts. If you want help, you need to read what Upwork has designed specifically for freelancers. You have not done anything to set yourself up as a freelancer. Start with the Terms of Service and read everything on the site. Upwork knows the rules and the way to proceed. You need that education before you get advice from anyone.

42d98eee
Community Member

Yes iam

tlsanders
Community Member

I think most of us figured this was where you were headed when this "wanting to help" thing kicked off. 

The truth is that there is a ton of high quality free content available to those looking to get started freelancing or to level up. I am also (as I assume is true for most successful freelancers) often asked whether I have a course available or offer coaching. I always point those freelancers to whatever free existing materials I think are most applicable and valuable for their particular situation and answer whatever questions I can personally. 

There's just no need for more options in an already crowded market where many freelancers are already making the mistake of paying for information that's readily available for free. 

30134c64
Community Member

Yes interested 

the-right-writer
Community Member

As others have said, this was an obvious and long-predicted move. It was quite clear where this was going from day one.

Many of us are approached by freelancers for help. I'm not an agency, so I have no interest in hiring for less money to make mine. I have helped by connecting people to all the links and adding a few comments. I think that if you want to help people, refer them to the enormous amount of approved information through Upwork. There is only one reason for this activity.

Additionally, I don't feel it's helpful to tell people with a picture of their cat, no skills, and no willingness to do anything, that if they do certain steps they will succeed. You know, the majority never get a job, spend connects, and go away mad. It's cruel to tell someone to put up a video when you know they will never, ever, get a job because they have no skills.

7ed9619d
Community Member

Interested 

Muhammad Ghaffar K wrote:

Interested 

A few quick tips.
Right here, at the head of the forum you have ACADEMY.
Start by reading the TOS (if you have any specific questions about them, please ask)
Then continue through the academy.
Then, in addition to obviously looking in HELP, which is what it is for, you can search here in the forum, because there are questions that have been answered a thousand times.

What you can't expect is to put a title, a photo and two sentences, and once accepted, wait for them to tell you how to work here without making any effort.

You must do your homework, as we have all done.

miriam-ocampo
Community Member

That is very noble of you or naive...

I think if the freelancers can't do that on their own, they don't have any business working here. For the rest, there are some pretty good courses in the academy. Anyway, good luck! If you are spiritual in some way, perhaps this will provide some sense of fulfillment. 

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

I thought you dropped in to share ideas out of your sheer goodness of heart?

Indeed, the future explains the past.

The real reason is now taking shape.

Much as I laud your courage, I absolutely will not recommend your course to any newbies.

I also will not point anybody anywhere near your sales funnel.

I'd simply point them to resources and threads here on the Community or on Reddit.

The crowd-sourced advice is better, and guess what... you don't pay diddly-squat for it.

Finally, look up the ToS; you may not (directly or indirectly)

peddle your course on the Community forum.

Abinadab, where did you read that he plans to make profit? On 2022-12-30 at 11:44am (UTC), Samer expressly wrote:

1. Cost = No. I will do it to help others, at least the first version. If I ever do charge, I will donate the earnings to charity.

ETA: date of Samer's post

Yeah. no profit here. I am blessed to make enough money on Upwork. The goal is to help Freelancers and NOT myself. I already donate 80%+ of my earnings to charity. I live a normal life. Enjoy

Golden reply. 

Community Member

Hi Samer! Definitely a very good idea and you should build it for sure as it will help a lot of people including me.

Why don't you take the free courses from upwork that are already available?

Have you taken those?

Have you?

Yes.

I asked because if you had taken those courses, you wouldn't have been doing opposition just for sake of doing opposition here.

You get these badges when you take the courses, I don't see any on your profile. 

You should contact support why that is. By the way, what will be harm to you if someone starts a free course to educate new commers ? If anything, it will help Upwork, you and countless others by not losing clients to Fiverr and other platforms due to things other than skills.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members