🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Freelancer Experience
Page options
nick_scumaci
Community Member

Freelancer Experience

I'm curious if anyone else thinks this should be an issue that Upwork should look into revamping. The issue would be the Experience choice that Clients can choose when making a job post. It currently ranges from Entry-Level, Intermediate and Expert. Ideally, it's a great option to have for a client. However, I think more needs to be done in regards to its function. I had a client ask me recently why they received so many proposals from freelancers with little experience on a job in which they were looking for Expert freelancers. They felt it made their process more difficult than it needed to be. If that is the case, perhaps a minimum amount of years experience required could be attached to this option. If you don't meet the requirement, you can't submit a proposal. Maybe that's not the best solution. Its just a thought I had based on what you would see during an actual job search. But when you click on an Expert job post with a high budget and see proposals for $3, something needs to be changed. It doesn't do anyone any good to have this happen.

I'm also talking about clients who go about things the right way here and not the ones that post Expert level jobs at Entry-Level prices 🙂

2 REPLIES 2
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

I agree with you, but such a requirement wouldn't work because people would just lie about their experience (as they already do) and Upwork isn't going to spend the time and money needed to verify such claims.
aaronph
Community Member

As I notice, Clients can actually set some bars up while doing job posting such as minimal earning, minimal UP years of exp, location... 
Tho, these filters only give freelancers a heads up/ warning rather than completely hide the job from them, or preventing them from sending proposal. 

I'm not sure if doing so may unfairly eliminate a lot of new FLs' opportunities who may as well are experts at their own disciplines without having any varified UP history. 

I believe UW has been putting a lot of effort into helping both parties find their best matches, but at the same time, they are also trying to be mindful of retaining UW as a competitive market place; Thus, the burden of finding/ filtering the right candidate or the right person to work for might as well (or rather) be on FLs and Clients. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members