🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How long did it take you to start making mone...
Page options
garroutte_kelly
Community Member

How long did it take you to start making money on upwork?

Is this the most frequently asked question on this forum?  LOL 

TY

12 REPLIES 12
melaniekhenson
Community Member

I landed my first job here I think within 2-3 weeks, but this is going to be different for everybody. Freelancing has its ups and downs. I've seen people here say they landed one of two projects within days but then had nothing further for a couple of months, and other people who took months to close any deals but wound up with loads of work in the long run.

It was about 2 days and it turned out to be the worst client I have ever had.

kalaani
Community Member

Less than 10 minutes . Now i think i was very lucky at that time . My first bid was a sucessfull one and after registering and completed verifications , within 40 minutes all things happend .

opsogreen1
Community Member

Hey Kelly,

It totally depends on your quality proposal and level exprience 🙂

Thanks

Imran K wrote:

Hey Kelly,

It totally depends on your quality proposal and level exprience 🙂

Thanks

A few other things, too. Some people go for the very low-playing jobs at first and are able to get quick work that way. Some have better-looking profiles. Some are choosy about the clients they approach and it can take a bit longer that way. Some are in more in-demand job categories, others in flooded categories. And so on...

A few other things, too. Some people go for the very low-playing jobs at first and are able to get quick work that way. Some have better-looking profiles. Some are choosy about the clients they approach and it can take a bit longer that way. Some are in more in-demand job categories, others in flooded categories. And so on...

Agree with you.

msublette
Community Member

I was awarded the first job I bid on.  It was not a low-paying job and turned out to be a couple of thousands dollars worth of work and a return client.  I think I was very lucky.  I know from reading here it doesn't happen often.  I also know that it totally depends on your competition and the area you are in.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Kelly G wrote:

TY

It is not. The most frequently asked question is: Why has my JSS decreased without any reason?

Martina P wrote:

Kelly G wrote:

TY

It is not. The most frequently asked question is: Why has my JSS decreased without any reason?

Oh, and at the moment anything starting with "now we have to pay for connects...."

I can't remember exactly how long it took me to land my first job here, it was a matter of days and then I won a few more little ones.

At the time I wasn't taking it seriously at all, I literally stumbled into freelancing completely by accident.

I think that it took me nearly two months to get my first project. I was new to freelancing and I had no idea what I was doing, and at the time, there was no advice online nor provided by the websites that I was using (mostly Elance and Guru, along a bunch of others that I've forgotten about now). Luckily, in the early days, you were able to read your competitors' bids and rates, and also received notifications about who won which projects, so I was able to study what the successful people were doing and learn from that. 

florydev
Community Member

I landed my first job about a month after coming here.  I had a shotgun not laser gun approach to finding work and I didn't think that was a bad strategy at the time, and I had 60 connects every month.  I had been consulting on my own for not quite two years prior to that and had a really bad string of not winning work.  I came to Upwork in some amount of desperation as I was either going to need to find local contract work or a job.  It was literally down to the wire.

cartrellgeneral
Community Member

I believe I found a new client within the first week of signing up with Upwork so I started making money almost immediately. After that, it has been fairly consistent and that was three years ago. I think it just depends. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members