Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is Upwork fees 20% TOO high?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
21 of 31

Jim G wrote:

And for anyone who says "raise your rates to make up for it,' I lost 2 jobs in 10 days for doing that.
They were small jobs, <300, but I was looking at what I'm making rather than what they are paying.

The idea of raising your rates "to make up for it" makes no sense to me. If using Upwork cost me money, I wouldn't be using it. I use Upwork because it SAVES me time and money when compared with cultivating client relationships on my own. 

It's super interesting and unusual, though, that two clients in that short period of time got back to you to let you know specifically that you'd not only lost out on the job because your rates were too high, but that the differential was within that 20% margin.

Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
22 of 31

Brian C wrote:

Upwork fees are extremely unreasonable for what they do (or NOT do) to protect the freelancers.

It maybe more helpful to think of the fees you pay as advertising budget rather than payments for 'protection', certainly cheaper than most other methods of client aquisition! 

I think you will find you have far more protection here than if you aquired all your remote clients from traditional advertising techniques.

They provide 

escrow services,

hourly protection for those that follow the correct procedure for tracking time,

fixed price protection in combination with the escrow services.

They also verify client payment methods and offer assistance if you do end up in a dispute.

Are Upwork perfect? NO - BUT, i happen to think the fee's are quite reasonable when you consider the many advantages they offer over finding clients yourself.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Brian C Member Since: Oct 27, 2019
23 of 31

"It maybe more helpful to think of the fees you pay as advertising budget rather than payments for 'protection',"

That's what I was referring to. Negative publicity with unfair rating system.  Low JSS due to unresponsive client or unfair client by unknown client.  It actually hurts your "advertising"

Highlighted
Community Guru
24 of 31

I agree that the rating system may not be the best system, but it is OK. Sure there is a couple of elements that seem completly unjustified and even downright stupid. But, its not the be all and end all. 

If you are **Edited for Community Guidelines** about 20% fees then you must be getting work, and if you are getting work then the 'advertising fees' are clearly working, so i really dont understand why you have an issue. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
25 of 31

"If you are whining about 20% fees then you must be getting work, and if you are getting work then the 'advertising fees' are clearly working, so i really dont understand why you have an issue. "

Maybe I should be getting MORE work than I should be and Upwork "ADVERTISING" is working against me.

I'm simply stating my "OPINION" as that's what this thread was for.  I don't know why every "Community Guru" have to turn every opinion into arguement with assumptions.  Well... maybe that's why they're Guru's.  I didn't make an issue out of your opinion.  Just read and move on.

Highlighted
Community Guru
26 of 31

Perhaps it is because you have presented you opinion as 'fact' which it certainly is not. Remember this is a discussion forum, so you should expect people to reply if you post - its the very nature of a forum.

I'm also unsure on the 'assumptions' you think i have made? I offered some advice in my first reply to help you think of the fees in a different way (since you are inferring you are not happy with them).

I am unsure why you appear to feel 'entitled' to get jobs - you only pay the 20% fee on the jobs you get, so if the advertising isnt working you dont pay it! 

Sometimes it is helpful to look at yourself for the reason things are not working the way you want.

I for one dont get 'enough' work, but i am taking steps to try and improve both my 'job skills' and  client communication skills in order to improve that fact. I feel this is likely a better method than blaming other people/upwork ect. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
27 of 31

"Perhaps it is because you have presented you opinion as 'fact' which it certainly is not."

Let's see, the post asked "Is Upwork fees 20% TOO high?"  Clearly asking for opinions.

The answer above me by JohnD said "Upwork fees are extremely reasonable."

And I said "Upwork fees are extremely unreasonable"

So was JohnD stating fact or opinion?

Your statements are just **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
28 of 31

All, 

A few posts have been removed from this thread as they were in violation of the Community Guidelines.

Please, be mindful of the Guidelines, respectful toward other Community members and avoid personal attacks.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
29 of 31

Brian C wrote:

Maybe I should be getting MORE work than I should be and Upwork "ADVERTISING" is working against me.

I'm genuinely curious as to why someone who thinks their business is being negatively impacted would want to keep using Upwork?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
30 of 31

Brian C wrote:

Upwork's advertising is working against you? So, the millions of dollars Upwork spends drawing clients to the site is making it HARDER for you to connect with prospective clients rather than easier? If that is somehow true, then obviously you should go to the places where it is easier for you to connect with clients. The fact that you haven't done that suggests that in fact you think the clients are here, and that Upwork's advertising is working.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS