🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is it bad luck or this is how JSS is supposed...
Page options
abixbg
Community Member

Is it bad luck or this is how JSS is supposed to work?

So It feels really demotivating to lose perfect 100% JSS and go to 91% in just 2 weeks due to a difficult client and another with suspended account just after 2h of work together... 

Client A 

I had this consultation contract (hourly). We made pretty nice chat session and the guy said "ok its enough for now we will talk again later"... on the next day his account was suspended and i have never head from him for 2 weeks. At this point I ended the contract.

Q1: How this experience would affect JSS? I did my job client was happy (guessing here)... but is it my falut he did somethign against Upwork rules? I get 0 feedback, and it counts as "short term contract that din't end well" 

Client B

So It was first a test task for a fixed price which ended again with mutual satisfaction, Delivered and milestone paid with 0 issues. Unfortunately he didnt close the contract and made new on for hourly ongoing work. This one wasn't going that smoothly. And after just 2 weeks it was clear we do not work well together. I felt his frustration that tasks take too much time. (I want to note, that I tried to charge him less time with waiting for his clarification responses (10h timezone diff) instead of taking hours of looking trough the undocumented codebase for hours). At one point i did simple honest mistake sending him for a review a bundle of "done" tasks with simple issues that i could fixed in lirterally 10 min. He got angry "both this tasks are still not working as supposed to" and immediately ended the contract. I clearly understnd his frustration and frankly i was releived since i was going to suggest ending it myself after this tasks completion... 

Too bad! Now i got 2 contacts with (assumingly) bad private review and  0 public review:

Q2: Does 2 different contracts ended at the same time from same client affect JSS as a "doubel damage"? Without the mishap of contract 2 I wouldn't get rage review for the first one.

Q3: How is it possible to destroy JSS hard earned with 1500h $20K+ contracts during whole year with just 20h of working with difficult clients?

5 REPLIES 5
sofia2008
Community Member

Radoslav N wrote:

So It feels really demotivating to lose perfect 100% JSS and go to 91% in just 2 weeks due to a difficult client and another with suspended account just after 2h of work together... 

The JSS calculation does not only consider most recent activities. Freelancers always think that their new JSS only changes because of the stars of their last 2 weeks, but forget about private feedback and the 3, 6, 12, 24 months moving window where older contracts are no longer considered.

Here is the help article on JSS calculation.

Job Success Score – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

crart
Community Member

JSS should be removed entirely. It is unfair, prone to troll behavior (HIDDEN FEEDBACK what the *** is this even and WHY is this counted towards JSS? UW staff, explain please because it has little to do with honest scoring if clients are allowed to post 5 stars omgsoexcellent open feedback but then stab freelancer in the back with hidden 1 star) and hurting freelancers for most absurd reasons. 

moonraker
Community Member

Olga P wrote:

JSS should be removed entirely.

And how else are clients supposed to find the best freelancers for the job?

Olga P wrote:

(HIDDEN FEEDBACK what the *** is this even and WHY is this counted towards JSS?

Private feedback gives clients the opportunity to leave genuine feedback without fear of being hassled by the freelancers. This results in more realistic JSS scores.

Olga P wrote:

and hurting freelancers

You don't speak for all of us.

The system does no hurt me. It benefits me because it helps me stand out from less capable competition. And I'm confident many other capable freeelancers will tell you the same.

Granted, the system is not perfect, but I doubt that any such system could be perfect. And if the JSS system was removed then it would be necessary to have a different system in its place.

abixbg
Community Member

Do you know how long term contracts are affecting JSS? If i am working exclusively with same client for 12months wih 0 issues but the contract hasnt ended yet. I get no feedback for this job (private or public) so "side jobs" are extremly risky business. That is missed opportunity both for me and Upwork. My client currently have problems funding more tasks, but we can work togheter in few months. I dont want to take another big client at the moment, but at the same time taking random clients deemed to be huge mistake. 

sofia2008
Community Member

Radoslav N wrote:

Do you know how long term contracts are affecting JSS? 

Sorry I don't, and details of the calculation are not made public by Upwork to avoid manipulation of outcome.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members