🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » JSS dropped
Page options
9bf545e3
Community Member

Job Success Score dropped

Hello,

I believe there's been a mistake made in the calculation of my job success score. It was previously at 78% and I just successfully completed two jobs were I was given good feedbacks and a five star rating. Yet, after my account was updated on the 29th, it dropped to 74%. I've been working hard to get my JSS back to 80% and I believe there's been a mistake. What do I do?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LuiggiR

Hi Rita,

Thank you for your message. Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

Your JSS can change because:

• You’ve received poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • A higher-value job is added to your JSS and it outweighs lower-value jobs
  • Past jobs are no longer considered because they fall outside the time frame

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

544 REPLIES 544
82dc04a2
Community Member

I was accepted to a job last September, but it only lasted around 3 days due to some standards problems on the work, however, I just have been onboarded, and I am still learning to grasp the workflow of the job, then suddenly they closed my contract leaving a bad rating. It greatly affected my JSS. Since then, I noticed a huge decrease in job invites and most of my job applications go unnoticed because of the low JSS. I have been paying for freelance plus but the Connectss are useless because of the low JSS. Is there a possibility to remove or contest a rating?

decentprogrammer
Community Member

I dont know why JSS is dropping (today dropped from 87% to 82%) even I am working currently on a project 30 hours per week and did not get any negative feedback in between of any other completed job. I was expecting my JSS to increase because I am already doing a project but instead it dropped. Last time I completed job was more than 3 months ago and got the feedback then and working on current job for the past 1.5 months. I dont know the reason of JSS drop.

Upwork please help in this regard, as can there be any mistake that can happen in calculation of the JSS from the upwork side ??

Regards,

Hi Hamza,

Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

• You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients

~ AJ
Upwork
e610deda
Community Member

Good afternoon . I would like to know why my Job Success Score has dropped from 93% to 89 ? I have been working well and have not received any bad feedback, I am working very hard and want to build my whole career on upwork. this is my only and permanent job and this Job Success Score is important to me. please help me to sort it out.  the thing is, a client forced me to close a $50 contract even though the contract was for $150. She threatened me that she would give me a bad review. I did 90 per cent of the work, but she blackmailed me and forced me to close the contract for 50 dollars. could it affect? I ask for a response from the moderators, and ask to resume at least to 90 per cent. because it is very important to me

Hi Mykola,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please keep in mind that your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

If you had Top Rated badge before your JSS changed, you can ask for feedback removal as long as you meet the criteria listed here.

~ AJ
Upwork

Bro same issue I faced and I am totally disappointed right now.. Also I submitted 704 perposals this year but didn't get clients. Only I get 10 clients. I was a toprated freelance but right now my JSS is 88%. Hard time for me.. such a bad system. I understand if I received bad ratings then it's changed normally But this year I didn't get one bad rating for my clients then why they dropped our JSS.. 😭😭

daddybull
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I was hired on an hourly contract, and my client asked me to connect on Telegram to discuss further before I start work. 

I did.

After connecting with him on Telegram to discuss my KPI before tracking my work hours, he told me to connect a wallet to his web3 product and verify my wallet with $50. 

Of which I declined because it's a scam. 

I reported my experience to the Upwork team, and after 25 days, I ended the contract which had 0 hours tracked and $0 income, and I stated why I was ending the contract (ID 35067990)

Shortly after ending the contract, Upwork reduced my JSS score from 95% to 92% which is wrong. 

Has anyone experienced such, and what's the way forward to solve this so I don't get demoted from Top Rated, I have two hourly contracts ongoing, and I'm super concerned about my level and JSS score. 

(Check attach images of chat proof)

Best regards 

Johnmiracle Ejikeme 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Johnmiracle,

Contracts where a client has been suspended for a Terms of Service violation do not count against your JSS. Your score can change for various reasons but we're afraid that we won't be able to comment on an individual score or how specific contracts affect it. In general, your JSS can change because:

- You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- You receive positive public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- A higher-value job is added to your score and outweighs lower-value jobs.
- Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.

You can find more information under the "Why did my JSS change?" section in this article.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
4393d1ba
Community Member

Hello Upwork, my JSS has unexpectedly decreased to 82%, even though I haven't closed any jobs recently. All my current projects are ongoing, and I haven't received any reviews yet. While I had a dispute before, your representative assured me that closing the dispute wouldn't impact my JSS. However, my score has now dropped by 18%. Could someone please explain why this significant drop occurred and provide guidance on how I can restore my JSS to 100%?

c5fa5811
Community Member

I am getting good reviews but my job success score is reducing please help

I just run into the same situation. After I completed the latest task and was given a positive feedback, my JSS went from 100% to 93%. I have no clue why. The client confirmed she gave a positive feedback. 

Why won't upwork fix this I'm very close to my clients so I also asked they said they gave perfect ratings and my jss is reducing 

khalidahmed1101
Community Member

Hi there, I had completed all jobs 100% and also got 5 star ratings, but my JSS dropped to 94% from 100% all of a sudden. please help me out in this regard, thanks upwork community.

a6d359f1
Community Member

My JSS just suddenly dropped from 100% to 93% despite having received all positive 5-star feedback and great reviews. 

It happened after someone I did a small gig for last month (I offered a crazy low price to do it just to build some history) left a review, 5 stars and an amazing review.

Can anyone shed any light on this? 

Is there anything I can do/routes I can pursue?

Maybe they didn't leave perfect private feedback, just perfect public feedback.

bboro
Community Member

Your profile is back to 100% Was this an Upwork glitch or some private rating that affected it?

aghajawad123
Community Member

my job success score was 98% after one feed back with 3.75 rating drpped upto 90% and my Top rated plus badge has been also removed.I am sure its due to error in calculating criteria. I am much more worried about that it may disappoint anyone being as frelancer.I hope that you will look into my matter and guide me in polite way.

Hi Haider,

I'm sorry to learn about the unexpected drop in your score. I took a closer look at your contracts for the previous months and it looks like you received a couple of poor reviews. This is by design and there's no issue with the calculation.

Please know that the Upwork system takes snapshots of your 3-, 6-, 12- and 24-month history in the marketplace and calculates a score for each. The best score out of these moving time windows is your JSS. 

That said, your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Now if i get one or more projects with good rating then will my badge come back or should i have to start from beginning like when i created fresh account? Is it looks like i drop at 0 and i have to pull me up and do same effort i did before? Or when my JSS come upto 90% will my badge back or NOT?

also please look at my JSS and in 1 day it comes at 88%. Screen Shot taken at 12-Nov-2023

And earning of my profile for last month is much more than $1000 see Screen shot attached

9f395534
Community Member

He'll Upwork community,

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the Job Success Score (JSS) on Upwork.

Do you believe that having a low JSS necessarily indicates that a freelancer's service is poor, or is it possible that the Upwork algorithm, rather than the quality of service, contributes to a lower score for some freelancers?

Please share your own experiences and opinions. I'm interested in understanding the various perspectives within our community.

Thank you for your insights!

Hafeez 

It just depends. Early on, no, because it takes time for the score to develop. If you're not active on the platform and your JSS is lower, I would say no as well. Just based on how it's calculated. You can have a perfect JSS, but haven't completed any jobs in a while, fall out of the algorithm window and your score takes a hit.

If you are active on the platform week in and week out, completing jobs and your JSS is low, then I would say yes, something is definitely off with your service.

Thank you for shedding light on the nuances of the Job Success Score (JSS). Your insights are valuable. I'm curious, in the scenario where a freelancer is very active on the platform but doesn't have contracts to work on, how would this impact their JSS?

Does inactivity on the job front contribute to a lower score even if overall platform activity remains high?

Appreciate your expertise on this matter.

I think this post here will help you out a lot. Give you a little more insight.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Product-Release-Notes/How-Job-Success-Score-is-Calculated/ba-p/90471...

f629cca5
Community Member

I have completed 5 jobs with 5-star glowing reviews on Upwork and one job in progress. additionally, one job contract ended without work because of some confusion but then all clear confusion, and then he also gave me 5 stars. I want to know why my job score rate is 74%.

Hi Shabnoor,

Job Success Scores reflect many factors, such as public and private feedback, long-term contracts, and repeat ones. In general, your JSS can change because:

- Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.

Check out this guide to learn more about the factors affecting your Job Success Score.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
c84b2de0
Community Member

Hello, I used to work 35-40 hours a week. I have not received any negative feedback from my customers. About two weeks ago, I noticed that my Job Success Score (JSS) dropped from 100% to 93% due to my reduced activity on the Upwork platform.

I believe that recent activity should not play a significant role in determining the JSS. Freelancers are not bound by the same work schedules as employees, and we may not always have a consistent flow of projects.

In my opinion, JSS should be primarily based on completed contracts rather than the time frame in which they occur. This is because freelancers may sometimes take longer on projects, and it's essential to recognize the quality and success of the work rather than penalizing freelancers for factors beyond their control.

e610deda
Community Member

I'd like to make a request for my Top Rated status back. Can you tell me what conditions I need to fulfil in order to get my Top Rated status back? I think there's been a mistake. I'm not quite sure why my rating plummeted from 93% to 89% and I lost that status.

Hello,

It happened because of the JSS. It requires a minimum of 90% 

Regards

Oh, I understand that. I don't understand why I've been downgraded so much.

Hi Mykola,

I'm sorry to hear about the change in your score. We're afraid we won't be able to comment on an individual score or how specific contracts affect it. In general, your JSS can change because:

- A higher-value job is added to your score, outweighing lower-value jobs.

You can find more information under the "Why did my JSS change?" section in this article.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
4c3b82f2
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I am reaching out here as a seasoned Upwork freelancer with a bit of a mystery on my hands. Over the past two years, I've maintained a 100% job success rate, completing 71 jobs successfully and earning over $40k. However, recently, I've noticed a concerning drop in my job success rate, and I'm puzzled as to why this might be happening.

Throughout my Upwork career, I've consistently received ratings of 5 stars, never falling below this mark. Despite this, my job success rate seems to be declining. I take great pride in delivering quality work and maintaining excellent relationships with my clients, so this unexpected development is both surprising and worrisome.

I would appreciate any insights or advice from fellow freelancers who may have experienced a similar situation or have suggestions on how to address this issue. It's crucial for me to maintain a high level of professionalism on the platform, and I want to ensure that my profile accurately reflects my skills and dedication.

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can provide.

mknaqvi
Community Member

My Jss dropped 100% to 91 % and I don't know the reason. I got one 4 star review but when I asked client and he changed it back to 5 star and gave me another job as well. That's the only thing I know of this at the moment. What could be the reason for this? and Jss changed today or yesterday and work was completed on 21 Nov.

Hi Muhammad,

I’m sorry to hear about the change in your score. Your JSS can change because:

~ Luiggi
Upwork
omeike_udochi
Community Member

My JSS was 92% but after two 5 star reviews, it dropped to 89%. Why is that?

c4ea90fa
Community Member

Hello, what could have made my JSS drop from 80% to 71% yet I do not have any negative contract or negative feedback? I have not violated any upwork policy. 

Same for me. It dropped to 63%. This is saddening. 

Hi Reuben and Georgeelynn,

Job Success scores are a better measure of a freelancer's reputation than star ratings, because they take into account more factors that indicate client satisfaction. These factors include both public and private feedback, the duration and frequency of contracts, rehires, and the quality of work delivered. The aim is to provide a comprehensive picture of a freelancer's performance that may not be captured by star ratings or profile information. You can learn more about JSS here.

- Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members