🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job closed but no connects returned
Page options
d5bc0dbb
Community Member

Job closed but no connects returned

I would like to ask, because according to connects return policy when a freelancer makes a proposal to a job that is closed (without any hiring) or the ad is canceled, the invested connect is returned.
I share the link, since the ad was closed without hiring anyone.Shouldn't I be refunded the connects? If not, I would appreciate if someone could explain me in more detail the policy of return of connects.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sofia2008
Community Member

Gonzalo U wrote:

I would like to ask, because according to connects return policy when a freelancer makes a proposal to a job that is closed (without any hiring) or the ad is canceled, the invested connect is returned.

What part of the Policy are you refering to?

Connects are returned when clients «CANCEL» a project before hiring. «Cancel» is not «Close».

Connects are also returned if a project is removed by Upwork when in violation of ToS.

Understanding and Using Connects – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
sofia2008
Community Member

Gonzalo U wrote:

What part of the Policy are you refering to?

Connects are returned when clients «CANCEL» a project before hiring. «Cancel» is not «Close».

Connects are also returned if a project is removed by Upwork when in violation of ToS.

Understanding and Using Connects – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

d5bc0dbb
Community Member

Dear Sophie, thank you for your reponse and explanation.
Ok, maybe it was a misinterpretation of the expressión. I thought that the concept of cancel includes close without hiring. So when there is no any kind of hiring and the ad is closed there's no return of connects.

In addition, I would like to comment some cosideration about this aspect of the policy. Considering, the notorious increasing of fake ads/scams and jobs without hiring, specially in simple jobs (entry level) so new freelancers are the most affected. For sure sometimes it is quite hard to proof that the ads are against ToS.

Perhaps certain cases could be considered or qualified as cancelled (when they are officially closed), for example, the one I mentioned is about a client who has never made a payment, has never hired any freelancer and has 6 ads (that even due to the time elapsed are starting to close). This kind of practice only ends up damaging freelancers, as they invest their connects in ads that not represent a genuine opportunity to get a contract.

I'm not saying that it applies as a general rule, but there should be some kind of mechanism to appeal or request that a certain case is investigated, this ensures greater control over the ads and also applies a policy of compensation or reparation to the affected freelancers (general principle of law of torts, which includes the legal link between Upwork as a service provider and freelancer as a user of the platform).

(I share this comment here because I believe that the evolution of policies and terms of use is an essential strength for service providers. I don't know if there is another channel for this type of comments.)

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members