🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Low JSS
Page options
7a057797
Community Member

Low JSS

Hello, I was working on Upwork for about 2 months, having my clients satisfied with my work and giving me either 4.5, 4.7, or even 5 stars and awesome feedback, and all the work was done completely, when my JSS appeared it is 77%. How did this happen?

Additional notes:

- All contracts ended successfully when they offer me and I accept them, but not all of the interviews or invitations ended up being contracts or offers, Does this affect me?

- How can I overcome this problem as it destroyed my profile, reaching out to new clients became hard (I only have two long term clients, who came before this problem, how can I harness them to overcome the problem)

Thanks in advance 🙂

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
3a49d474
Community Member

...having my clients satisfied with my work and giving me either 4.5, 4.7, or even 5 stars and awesome feedback, and all the work was done completely, when my JSS appeared it is 77%. How did this happen?

Public feedback does not affect JSS. But the private feedback does. Your JSS is low because the clients(Probably the projects ended with 4.5 and 4.7 stars) haven't given you good private feedback.  

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068358-Job-Success-Score 

Additional notes:

- All contracts ended successfully when they offer me and I accept them, but not all of the interviews or invitations ended up being contracts or offers, Does this affect me?

No

View solution in original post

663 REPLIES 663
2297e2bc
Community Member

Esentially JSS is as bad as credit scores. They too are a horibly delayed and biased calculation. So in comparison, you need to work on your credit score for a year before you can by a car!   Unless you are a total brown noser, JSS and Feedback are terrible rating ideas!  I find talking between parties, and learning WHO they are and whay they ARE about works much better - and himan!  But then, you wont get any support from Uworks!

3c320cb5
Community Member

Hi Upwork Support Team,

I wanted to reach out to address a concern I've noticed with my Upwork account regarding the total number of projects displayed and the accuracy of my Job Success Percentage.

I've discovered that the total project count doesn't seem to accurately reflect the projects I've completed. It appears that some completed projects are missing from the count.

Additionally, I'm concerned that some of the completed project credits might not be factored into my Job Success Percentage calculation. This discrepancy is misleading and doesn't accurately reflect the quality of my work or my overall performance as a freelancer on Upwork.

I kindly ask that you investigate these discrepancies and take the necessary steps to ensure that my total project count is updated to include all completed projects. Furthermore, I would appreciate it if you could review the calculation of my Job Success Percentage to ensure that all completed project credits are properly considered.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Best regards,
Ash

052e1889
Community Member

Hello ,

I don't know why you have added a job success score on your profile if there is a lot of feedback . We are paying money for purchase connections then we are applying for jobs and then also not many projects are catching up shame on this . We are investing more than income , It's a very wrong thing . 
                                        Also, my job success score is not working properly. I have completed 3 jobs successfully and just one is left. I mean it is in progress . So why my job success score is 50% is a joke . Why do you guys torture artists only . is there have any chance to clients behaviour showcase there ? i realy **Edited for Community Guidelines** this kind of mentality . Upwork changing prices many times . now will have to pay 17 $ for 74 connections. Is it Gold ? See you already earning our 10$ from the project amount . Let me know what you guys need exactly .
Thank you .

Regard ,
Swapnil V Gatade

natashaabadash
Community Member

Upwork claims public feedback weighs more now than private. Clearly, that is incorrect. Judging by the amount of feedback here. 

The concept of private feedback is wrong, to begin with. I don't want private feedback if that won't tell anything about my business but can ruin it completely, nor does it say anything about clients - because that's just is. Why private? To let the client stub me in the back? No, open communication is the best policy. The person responsible for this unique to Upwork concept and JSS in general is... very special. 

92301f18
Community Member

Hello, 

A month ago my JSS was 90% and my total revenue was 2.4K. Within a month, I successfully completed a new project with 5 stars and earned 4K+, and my total earnings are now over 6K. But my JSS only increased by 1% since the last update, and my JSS is now 91%.

I know that the bigger the project, the higher the percentage of JSS. But I don't understand why my JSS only increased by 1% when I completed a project that almost doubled my previous total earnings. 

Can someone take a look at my account and help me? 

Thank you.

Well, this has happned to me MANY times also ... Upwork support cannot answer this question or tell you the reasons as I many times asked the support ... All they tell you are things about private feedback or something, but what if a person did not do any work during several months and his JSS score drops all of a sudden on a flat surface ... That is the strange JSS system they have ... they themselves do not know much about that. Upwork gets messed up more and more everyday ))) 

Community Member

Hello moderators,

could someone with more insight please confirm for me that the sudden drop in my JSS was due to private(?) feedback from the last client I worked for? I am not looking for tips on how to increase my JSS again or for general info on how the JSS is calculated, since I have already read the relevant Help pages. I just want to figure out if the reason for the sudden drop is the one I suspect. Thank you in advance!

Hi Beate,

I am sorry to hear about the drop in your JSS. We have gone into great detail on how your Job Success score is calculated here. Additional details beyond this are not provided to protect the integrity of the score. That said, I will be unable to confirm if the drop was due to the last completed job.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Thank you for your reply, Pradeep. I understand you not being able to go into detail. All I can say is that, if it had something to do with my last job, I find it highly unethical that their unprofessionalism is allowed to have such a negative impact on my Upwork career. But, since I will probably never find out, I give up. I am done here.

lizablau
Community Member

Did they remove the last date of each JSS update from the new stats design?  If not, where can I find  it?

Wondering the same thing

Adam,

They put the date back -- check to see if it's there on your end.

I'm not sure why they moved my question to this thread -- it still went unanswered by the mods!

ETA:  Moderators:  I posted this question in the Support forum, and instead of answering it, you moved it to this thread in the main forum called "Low JSS" which has NOTHING to do with what I'd asked.  It was only an accident that I found my original quesiton in this odd place, since you didn't even notify me that it'd been moved. 

What's the point of having a Support forum if specific questions get ignored and moved to unrelated threads????

To hide threads (mine, too).

Hi Lisa,

We certainly understand your concern about the new design of the "My Stats" page, and we genuinely appreciate every feedback we can get from members to improve this feature. 

To address your concern, the date for your JSS last update can be found below your actual JSS on your  My Stats page. You may visit this screenshot for your reference. Also, please be aware that we calculate JSS every two weeks based on your 3-, 6-, 12- and 24-month history in the marketplace and calculate a score for each timeframe. The best score out of these will be displayed on your profile.

We'll continue sharing your feedback/suggestions with the rest of the team for further review. Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Community.

~ Arjay
Upwork
lizablau
Community Member

Dear Arjay,

Did you even read my original question that was in the Support forum before moving it here?  

I've been on Upwork for many years and know how the JSS works.  I also know where the date for each update can be found.  The problem was those dates went missing for a few weeks. That's why I posted my question in the Support forum, but it went ignored.

I had no idea my question was moved to THIS thread -- which is totally unrelated to what I'd asked.

While my question was being ignored, it seems the tech department returned the date of each update below the JSS score.  So that's a good thing.

But thanks anyway.

And thank ChatGPT for me, too. 

Anybody home?

I can confirm that my JSS updated yesterday but still no location that shows the date of update. 

muhammad-asad-26
Community Member

Greetings Upwork Team,

Let me thank you for such a supportive platform.

Well, It's been a few months I am getting disturbed due to a few issues, your kind attention and help is required!

My badge was returned a few weeks back and then it was gone just due to a single bad reivew which was changed to a good review later. After 88% JSS, I have completed around four projects and JSS is unable to reach 90 to get badge back and my eliblge weeks are also going down.

Look, eligible weeks are unstoppable but JSS will update every two is effecting my account health a lot.

I request you to please fix the issue as this is totally ununderstandable that my JSS fall to 88% due to a bad review which was even fixed later but 4 jobs delivered with 5 start review are not getting added to my account health.

Hope you can understand and update my account issue, so that we can help each other grow!

Thank you,

27b57e4a
Community Member

I had a very good relation with my clients and everyone appreciated my work. I am new to Upwork and now I see that it is showing me the JSS which is very low. I dont get it why everyone seemed happy and gave a 5-star rating but if someone is really unsatisfied with my work I can do a 100% refund just dont want to spoil my profile. One more thing will a 100% refund work in anyway to deal with negative fb as publicly all is good?

What is your JSS?

If it is 90%+, don't worry about, but instead focus on keeping new clients happy.

rehan-haider
Community Member

My JSS was dropped a few months back due to private feedback where the client wanted to get more out of the contract than what was agreed. It got to 95% and then got some good feedback and was at 97%. Then after December, I got to 95% without any bad feedback or changes from my end.

Since then, I've been getting good feedback with comments and recently got a contract that helped me move to the Top Rated Plus category. In a single contract, was the biggest contract so far as I normally continue to switch contracts based on job description even with the same client.

The contract ended with a very positive 5.0 feedback and I was waiting for UpWork to pick up on this and put my JSS back to 100% or something better than 96% since this was a big contract that weighs more.

However, my JSS DIDN'T CHANGE AT ALL! I put in a support request and as always, got an empty sugar-coated response back that everything was good and accurate and I should just shut up.

- There wasn't any big contract that slipped out the feedback window.

- Other than the one I mentioned which was 6+ months ago, there isn't any other feedback public/private that I got that could have affected this.

This is super annoying!

b1e29b81
Community Member

Hello 
can someone help How can i increase job success Rate I alredy recive the good review from my client and still my job sucess rate is 93 

wrote:

Hello 
can someone help How can i increase job success Rate LaSRS Login I alredy recive the good review from my client and still my job sucess rate is 93 

A 93% Job Success Rate (JSS) on Upwork is already very good! However, if you'd like to push it even higher, here are some strategies you can consider:

Maintaining Client Satisfaction:

• Deliver High-Quality Work: This goes without saying, but consistently exceeding client expectations is crucial for maintaining a good JSS.
  • Excellent Communication: Stay in close contact with your clients throughout the project. Keep them updated on progress, address any concerns promptly, and be receptive to feedback.
  • Meeting Deadlines: Deliver projects on time or, ideally, even a bit ahead of schedule whenever possible. This demonstrates reliability and professionalism.

Enhancing Your Profile:

• Strong Portfolio: Showcase your best work on your Upwork profile. Use clear visuals, detailed descriptions, and highlight successful client outcomes.
  • Detailed Profile Description: Craft a compelling profile description that clearly outlines your skills, experience, and value proposition for clients.
  • Positive Client Reviews: Positive client feedback is a major trust factor for potential clients. Encourage satisfied clients to leave detailed reviews on your profile.

Project Selection and Bidding:

• Focus on Your Best Skills: Apply for projects that are a good fit for your expertise and experience. Don't stretch yourself too thin.
  • Competitive Rates: Set your rates competitively while ensuring they reflect your value. Consider offering packages or discounts for larger projects.
  • Clear Proposals: Write clear and concise proposals that showcase your understanding of the client's needs and how you can address them.

Upwork Resources:

The Upwork Community you linked is a great resource (https://community.upwork.com/). There you can find discussions, tips, and advice from other freelancers on how to improve their JSS and overall success on the platform. Upwork Academy also offers courses and resources specifically related to Job Success Scores: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/How-to-maintain-job-success-score/m-p/634707

Remember, a high JSS is a gradual process. By consistently providing excellent service, building trust with clients, and maintaining a strong profile, you can continue to increase your JSS over time.

199cebe8
Community Member

i have completed two tasks with 5 star but my Job Success rate does not increase why is that?

ff16074f
Community Member

What is the best way to increase JSS?

Hi Ammar,

You may be able to improve your Job Success Scores in several ways. This includes cultivating lasting client relationships, consistently delivering exceptional work, and actively seeking higher-value projects. Find more tips about improving your JSS in Upwork Academy.

~ Joanne
Upwork
ff16074f
Community Member

Thank you!

bilkn
Community Member

Hi, I recently closed a contract for $8900 and the client gave 5-star feedback before JSS calculation day.

Despite this, my JSS score of 86 did not change even by 1 point. Even according to the calculation of 3, 6, 12, and 24 months after a high-value contract, it does not seem possible for JSS to remain unchanged. I recently contacted the support team about the feedback not appearing and they fixed the bug, so there is a possibility for a JSS calculation bug too.

Please check the JSS calculation of my profile.

Thank you.

~ Bilkan

Hi Bilkan,

Considering that today is when JSS updates and is still in the process of updating across the platform, you could still see your score change. Kindly allow 24 hours to confirm your new score, and if it doesn't update, you can let us know so we can check this further for you. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
bilkn
Community Member

Hello Luiggi,

Thank you for your fast response. As I see my JSS is updated, however, only 1 point has been added, and it changed from 86 to 87. Is this calculation correct or it can be updated again in 24 hours?

If the JSS won't be updated again in 24 hours and we assume that the private feedback is 10 out of 10, would this be a correct calculation to increase only 1 point in the $8900 contract?

~ Bilkan

Thanks for letting us know, Bilkan. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to check on this further. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
a29ee168
Community Member

##- It's my pleasure Thank you so much for your email. -##
6401fe82
Community Member

I want someone create a ticket for this issue.

How is a $400 contract "Edit video in the Dan Koe style" with 5 stars on both private and public feedback worth less than a $100 contract "Podcasts to Reels Video Editor with Minimal Animations" with 5 stars only on public feedback and (probably a very low rating on private feedback)?

This $100 contract "Podcasts to Reels Video Editor with Minimal Animations", despite having 5 stars, decreased my JSS (Job Success Score) from 100% to 82% (representing 18% damage).On the other hand, a $421 contract "Edit video in the Dan Koe style" (four times larger) increased my JSS from 82% to 85% (representing 3% benefit).

Furthermore, it's crucial to note that the client for the $100 project "Podcasts to Reels Video Editor with Minimal Animations" was exceptionally demanding. He requested 9 revisions, and there would probably have been even more if his client hadn't insisted on keeping the current style.

He even said personally that we had done too many revisions, promising a $25 bonus at the end (Which of course he didn't paid)

Despite his claims that the videos were excellent, we spent 20 days working on those 5 videos. Additionally, he requested revisions at 10 and 11 p.m. to impress the client.

I didn't want to give him a low rating because he promised to give me 5 stars.

narasimharao_y
Community Member

Hi,  

My JSS score has remained stable at 95%. but yesterday  it is gone below 82% , can i  get the reason 

thank you

narasimha rao

Hi Narasimha,

I am sorry to hear about the drop in Job Success Scores. JSS reflects many factors, such as public and private feedback, long-term contracts, and repeat ones. You can monitor your Job Success Score on your My Stats page. Check out this guide to learn more about the factors affecting your Job Success Score.

- Pradeep
Upwork
rhennzy
Community Member

All of my public feedbacks are all five starts. I'm not sure why my JSS score drop to 89%.

fccfebe2
Community Member

Hi Rhennel, there is also the private feedback which affects your JSS.

6632cfe6
Community Member

My JSS score 80% i want know why its drop to 80% i dont have any negative feedback 

You dont know that. Private feedbacks is hidden from you. No way to know what is there.

thankyou for your response so is there any way to remove it or anything to rise the jss score 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members