🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My client asks me to write up the contract
Page options
stillj
Community Member

My client asks me to write up the contract

Hello Everyone,

Thanks so much for being here in the Forums!

I have been asked to be Support, Reviewer, and occasional Rewriter for a Doctorate student.

Great job and role, and have done this kind of mentoring in the past, as a professor.

Now a client has found me in Upwork and we are agreed on the project. . .but the client is very busy and slightly anxious with so much to do... and asks me to create the milestones because she does not know how to do it. I do not mind this... however,

My question -- I have written milestones for previous clients, but I am thinking it looks like the Client must first set up the contract in Upwork's tool? before milestones can be rewritten.

Am I correct?

Thank you!

Janet S

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "My client asks me to write up the contract"

That's good.

As a freelancer, I routinely write up my contracts.

re: "My question -- I have written milestones for previous clients, but I am thinking it looks like the Client must first set up the contract in Upwork's tool? before milestones can be rewritten. Am I correct?"

That is essentially correct.

But you can write descriptions of milestone tasks at any time - before or after a contract is in place. The client needs to create the initial contract. But you can write the milestone task descriptions for the client and send those as messages to the client.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
roberty1y
Community Member

I'm not sure about the contract writing, but you need to be careful in helping a student. Any kind of help with a thesis or dissertation would count as academic fraud.

Robert Y wrote:

I'm not sure about the contract writing, but you need to be careful in helping a student. Any kind of help with a thesis or dissertation would count as academic fraud.

This is wrong. Copy editing of high-level academic work is expected; some universities even ask their candidates to identify their editor as a matter of course.

There are many gray or dodgy areas when research and writing—as opposed to strictly delimited editing—come into play. Assuming good faith and an accurate presentaton, nothing about the OP's description of her work suggests naïveté or improper behavior. One would hope, as it appears, that as a former academic she is well versed in the niceties, and has no interest in fudging or cheapening the proper earning of a degree,

Thank you, Douglas Michael.

This is true. Editing and proofreading are common because strong writing skills do not always come with other higher skills and knowledge. Very diligently, (and also related to my teaching days), I always put the corrections back in the lap of the writer to verify that what is edited has not changed the intended meaning. And I am quite picky about this too! a bit of a squeaky wheel.

I am also into keeping their style of writing and voice in whatever is edited. After all, this is the student's baby.

Respectfully,

Janet S

stillj
Community Member

Thank you, Robert. I appreciate your concern.

Respectfully,

Janet S

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "My client asks me to write up the contract"

That's good.

As a freelancer, I routinely write up my contracts.

re: "My question -- I have written milestones for previous clients, but I am thinking it looks like the Client must first set up the contract in Upwork's tool? before milestones can be rewritten. Am I correct?"

That is essentially correct.

But you can write descriptions of milestone tasks at any time - before or after a contract is in place. The client needs to create the initial contract. But you can write the milestone task descriptions for the client and send those as messages to the client.

Thank you, Preston H.,

I appreciate your ability to be concise and, succinctly, to the point.

Respectfully,

Janet S

martina_plaschka
Community Member

You can't start a job on upwork. The client needs to send you an offer which you accept. Then you can add further milestones, which the client needs to accept and fund. 

Frankly, I don't like the sound of a nervous and frazzled student who can't be bothered to set up their own milestones. This is the kind of diligence needed when writing a thesis. But I may be wrong. Maybe this is the most delightful client ever. Who knows. 

Thank you, Martina.

I understand your point of view. Having been in her shoes, I relate to what she is going through. To undertake a Doctorate should give one pause and instill the recognition of 'getting one's act together.' The work will not lighten as she proceeds, but my aim is to instill in her that she can do this.

The beginning is always the hardest part.

Respectfully,

Janet S

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members