🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Need Annual Earnings Statement for Tax Purpos...
Page options
mr5roses
Community Member

Need Annual Earnings Statement for Tax Purposes

It would be a helpful to be able to print a previous tax year's certificate of earnings even if (like me) it didn't occur to you to do so until March. One click, one small file for each freelancer. Not difficult to implement.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mtngigi
Community Member

Michael R wrote:

It would be a helpful to be able to print a previous tax year's certificate of earnings even if (like me) it didn't occur to you to do so until March. One click, one small file for each freelancer. Not difficult to implement.

Why not just use "Earning by Client" for the previous year? The cvs download opens a very simple spreadsheet. Unless I'm not understanding your question.

Screen shot 2020-03-18 at 5.29.46 PM.png

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Michael,

You can download our Certificate of Earnings that will have the information for the past one, three, six, and 12 months based on the date selected. You can also go to Reports > Transaction History and adjust the timeline to view all of your transactions in the selected period and download the payment information there. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
mr5roses
Community Member

The Certificate of Earnings suggestion you make does not address the issue, because it will only work if you request it in January (and even then, only on the 1st? you tell me). And you are wrong or misleading about the Transaction History, because the csv shows all transactions, debit and credit, in a single column; and the invoice selection is limited to 31 days, and gives you individual invoices which have to be separated into credit and debit and added up individually to get the entire year total. Projecting from January 2019's 16 invoices, that's 192 invoices that have to be separated and the credits added up one by one. Am I wrong?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Michael, 

At this time, please know that we do not have this feature. For your records, you may access your annual billing history from your Reports >  Transaction History.

~ Avery
Upwork
mr5roses
Community Member

It would not be a difficult feature to add and I suspect many freelancers would welcome it.

But the problem is that I need ALL of 2020 ONLY and your model does not go back longer than one year!  

Dorothy J wrote:

But the problem is that I need ALL of 2020 ONLY and your model does not go back longer than one year!  

Of course it does.

Use your Transaction History and adjust the dates and ranges as needed

mtngigi
Community Member

Michael R wrote:

Why not just use "Earning by Client" for the previous year? The cvs download opens a very simple spreadsheet. Unless I'm not understanding your question.

mr5roses
Community Member

That's the solution! Thank you, Virginia F. As you can see, I had tried a number of other ways, but hadn't discovered this. 

Virginia F wrote:

Thanks, Virginia! This is a much easier and cleaner format than the transactions report, which I've been using. The only drawback I see is that it doesn't include expenses that are not contract commissions, such as connects purchases.

p.s. to Upwork: It would be even easier and more useful if you were to add a pre-set range for the prior calendar year.

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

Thanks, Virginia! This is a much easier and cleaner format than the transactions report, which I've been using. The only drawback I see is that it doesn't include expenses that are not contract commissions, such as connects purchases.

p.s. to Upwork: It would be even easier and more useful if you were to add a pre-set range for the prior calendar year.

Yeah, unless you're a spreadsheet wizard (which I most certainly am not), the transaction report is a nightmare. Expenses just require a simple spreadsheet - date, what the expense was and the amount ... three columns ... easy enough to set up.

Re your p.s. - yes, it's a bit ridiculous that the prior year option is not included in the drop-down list.

petra_r
Community Member

Virginia F wrote:

Re your p.s. - yes, it's a bit ridiculous that the prior year option is not included in the drop-down list.

Not everyone's tax year runs January to December.

UK - Tax year ends April 5th

Australia - tax year ends on the 31st of June

South Africa - tax year ends the last day of February

India, Pakistan and Bangladesh (countries with huge numbers of freelancers on Upwork) also all have tax years that are not in line with the calendar year.

mr5roses
Community Member

Useful point, Petra R. Were you familiar with Virginia F.'s solution before now? Just curious. In any case, it would be helpful if Upwork made it easier to find that solution, or increase the span of accessible reports to two years.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members