🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Percentage of Sucess not increasing
Page options
gurjeetkalsi
Community Member

Percentage of Sucess not increasing

Hello Upwork Team,

My success percentage is not moving, I have completed 4 successful projects in the last week all with a 5-star rating and one with a bonus from the client too. but my percentage is not moving up. it is 96% since then.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,125 REPLIES 1,125

The next update is on the 30th. It's a global update, meaning everyone's scores are updated on the same schedule. So all the contracts that you closed will have an impact on your update this Sunday. Then it's two weeks after that, etc. 

alix1210
Community Member

When will my score update please? It’s been two weeks and I’ve done about ten completed contracts in one week but hasn’t changed?

Alexandria H wrote:
When will my score update please? It’s been two weeks and I’ve done about ten completed contracts in one week but hasn’t changed?

The answer has not changed since this morning. It will be updated May 30 with everyone else's.

Ok thank you. I wasn’t aware when they update

Alexandria H wrote:
Ok thank you. I wasn’t aware when they update

I know you're hoping your JSS goes up because you've closed some jobs, but only a few of the jobs you closed have feedback, and not all of it is 5 star. So I would not expect a big jump or even a jump at all. Just forewarning...you still have time to close contracts and get feedback OR ask those clients who have not yet left feedback to leave feedback. In the future, do not close contracts yourself but have clients do it so they will have to leave feedback (and hopefully it is good). 

bjmordeno
Community Member

Hello,

I recently went back to Upwork and is concerned about how JSS is calculated? I want to reach the Top Rated badge, I have ongoing contracts with satisfied (hopefully) clients but I had a contract about a year ago with a client who ghosted me. He ended up hiring a different freelancer after I accepted the offer. This contract has been ended by him last February with 0 earnings at all.

Will this factor into my JSS?

Hi Bennjoe,

Your Job Success Score (JSS) measures your client’s satisfaction with your overall work history on Upwork’s platform. It reflects your client’s satisfaction as shown by relationships, feedback, and job outcomes over time. The Upwork system takes snapshots of your three-, six-, 12- and 24-month history in the marketplace and calculates a score for each. We use these to determine the score that appears on your profile. 

Keep in mind, your score may go up or down as your old contract outcomes age and move into another of the four calculations. Rest assured that any movement in your score (either up or down) has taken into account both recent activity and activity over a longer period of time (up to 24 months). However, please know that contracts with good feedback but no earnings aren't considered in the score.

You can find more information under the section "When is My Job Success Score Calculated?" in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork
catherine_li
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I recently started using Upwork and my JSS score has been available for a few days now. I have 3 completed jobs with 5 out 5 ratings and other 2 open contracts with 5 out 5 rating. 3 clients have’t rated me yet. My success score is super low at 65% and I am guessing that is due to poor private feedback. A month ago a client sent me an offer which I accepted but he ended the contract with 0 earnings and he might be the one who left me poor private feedback. This is a very unfortunate incident for me because I care too much for my clients and always try my best. Due to low success score, I am struggling to get new clients and I reaching out here for tips. Do you know what can I do to increase my success score (up to 100%)?  I know I have to get new jobs but clients stopped replying in my proposals since my JSS score appeared. Also do you know if I can flag this client somehow? I just upgraded my membership and I am now on Upwork plus hoping that the algorithm will promote me.

Hi Katherine,
One thing that I can assure you is weather your jss is 65%, 79% or 88% it actually dose not matter much when client hires freelancers. May be it does when you have 90% plus jss score. The most thing that matters is your proposal, strong portfolio matterial reagarding the job and your profile. Every now and then you will get opportunity from clients who actually care less about the jss or how experienced you are, they will search for how  effectively you are going to get there project done. Belive me first month's on Upwork is always the toughest.   See the percentage clients who would recommend you in your stats and try to make that above 75%.  With just 4/5 great clients feedback it will be automatically above 80%. Mine was first 79%, thought the same as you that jss is affecting me getting new jobs. But with 88% jss now I still have to bid atleast 20 jobs to get hired in one. Keep trying and you will succed. 

gunaiiita
Community Member

hi there!
I have been on Upwork since March 2021- and my very first project was graded 3.55 and the subsequent 8 projects were graded 5 but my JsS still remains 89% ans it doesnt improve regardless of new projects with 3 times higher value of the first one.. and the first project is worth 170 UsD whereas my remaining high feedbacks total to value more than 800 usd..

I am curious why my Job success score doesnt improve even after many new projects with highest feedbacks

It doesn't matter what your public feedback is. JSS depends on the private feedback client gives on 1-10 scale. 

Public feedback is meaningless in case of JSS

candlerayph
Community Member

I have a client who initially sent me a contract that would start on a later date, however he changed his mind, instead of starting on a later date he wanted me to start ASAP thats why he close the previous contract and made a new one. He send me a bonus for 2$ to not leave the contract without payment but i am worried that he might give me a neutral private feedback that would definitely affect my JSS negatively. I haven't done any job yet for the previous hourly contract he offered.

Hi Candle Ray,

Clients can leave both private and public feedback when closing a contract. Feedback is included in your JSS calculation. Your JSS can change due to the following:

• You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
  • You receive very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients.
  • A higher-value job is added to your score, and outweighs lower-value jobs.
  • Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.

To learn more about the JSS calculation, please check this help article

~ Joanne
Upwork

the hourly contract hasn't started yet but the client close it because the client wants to change the starting date. it would be unfair if the client will leave a nuetral  private feedback score of 5 for a job that hasn't started yet.

dangol_dipen
Community Member

Why is my jss not increasing after 3 completed jobs with 5 star ratings? My jss was 81% now it is 83%, and thats it. I think thats quite low after finishing 3 jobs with 100% client satisfaction. Can anyone help?

Hi Sohit, Job Success Scores reflect a wide range of factors such as public and private feedback, long-term contracts, and repeat ones. You can monitor your Job Success Score on your My Stats page. Also, please note that a job with higher earnings will always impact your Job Success Score more than a smaller job. For example, feedback on a $1,000 job carries more weight on your JSS compared to a $20 job. 

~Andrea
Upwork

Does earning matter for increasing and decreasing of jss?

Sohit D wrote:

Does earning matter for increasing and decreasing of jss?

Total earnings do not matter. The total amount of each contract determines its weight in the JSS score. Larger contracts weigh heavier. 

kutayyilmaz
Community Member

Hello UpWorkers!

I got a fixed-price offer without milestone which is 500$ for all project, accepted, started, and worked pretty short like 30 mins

Then the client messaged me and said that her mind changed (somehow) and she doesn't need the project anymore. That's fine for me, at least not that late to learn..

So the point is, we made our deal as I will not charge her. No problem from my and her side, but, we don't know how to proceed to save my JSS score.. (I am not rising talent, top rated or anything, just have 100% JSS score on my profile. im a newbie here)

She is waiting for me to tell her how to proceed. Should "I" end the contract without payment? Or should she cancel? She is also willing to pay a bit if that works better, like 5$ something if it saves my JSS score.

-I don't think she will accept to pay all the 500$ and get 495$ back as a refund from me. Don't think she would trust me on that way. At least I would not trust someone lol

So looking for the best way to save my JSS score, me and client are ready to do whatever needed, can someone help me out?

Cheers,
Kutay

Hello Kutay,

Your Job Success Scores reflect a wide range of factors such as public and private feedback, long-term contracts, and repeat ones. We have gone into great detail on how your Job Success score is calculated here. Additional details beyond this are not provided to protect the integrity of the score. This is to safeguard the system and prevent anyone from unfairly replicating the process. 

Thank you.

Pradeep H.

Upwork
tlbp
Community Member

Kutay Y wrote:

Hello UpWorkers!

I got a fixed-price offer without milestone which is 500$ for all project, accepted, started, and worked pretty short like 30 mins

Then the client messaged me and said that her mind changed (somehow) and she doesn't need the project anymore. That's fine for me, at least not that late to learn..

So the point is, we made our deal as I will not charge her. No problem from my and her side, but, we don't know how to proceed to save my JSS score.. (I am not rising talent, top rated or anything, just have 100% JSS score on my profile. im a newbie here)

She is waiting for me to tell her how to proceed. Should "I" end the contract without payment? Or should she cancel? She is also willing to pay a bit if that works better, like 5$ something if it saves my JSS score.

-I don't think she will accept to pay all the 500$ and get 495$ back as a refund from me. Don't think she would trust me on that way. At least I would not trust someone lol

So looking for the best way to save my JSS score, me and client are ready to do whatever needed, can someone help me out?

Cheers,
Kutay

A no pay contract won't hurt your JSS unless the client also gives you a bad review when the close it. Just let her close the contract and refund the money.

anamashrafali
Community Member

Hi, 

I started working on Upwork just few months ago. 

Got my JSS after 6 jobs, and that at 60%! of my 6 jobs I have 5 stars for 3 of them and the other 3 jobs clients ghosted me. ZERO negative feedback. 

Today after 2 weeks it dropped at 59% when one client gave me a 5 star feedback only in the last two weeks. 

This is crazy. What is happening? How will i dig myself out of this score now.

Hi Anam, 

I have the same roblem , Zero negative feedbacks, only 3 or 10 jobs doesn't have feedback ,  and my JSS dropped to 76%, i don't understand what to do !!! 

Ahmed and Anam, 

The stars mean almost nothing. Clients leave private feedback and this dictates your JSS. Often clients leave 5 stars publicly but then less than 10 on the 1-10 question "how likely are you to recommend this freelancer?" 

Anam, if you have 3 reviews, and 60% JSS then one of them wasn't as happy as they seemed. 

Thanks for your answer.

Important question: does my inactive contract affects my JSS ?

the contract was active and there was payments for 3 months, then job is done and we keep it for any support issues , or for the next milestones when they raise more fund (they are a startup)

Ahmed T wrote:
Thanks for your answer.

Important question: does my inactive contract affects my JSS ?

the contract was active and there was payments for 3 months, then job is done and we keep it for any support issues , or for the next milestones when they raise more fund (they are a startup)

No, that contract is not negatively impacting your score. 

2af90dde
Community Member

Hi Support Team & Community Members,

I was just surprised that my job success rate suddenly became 76% (and this is the first time it shows up in my profile).

All contratcs i have are:

Total >> 10 contracts
Completed >> 8 contracts ( 5 of them have 5-stars public feedback & 3 don't have feedback at all, in these 3 no-feedback contracts the client was not responsive and the contract's value was extremely low , 100$ for each contract ).
Active >> 2 long term contracts.

one of the 2 active contracts doesn't have any activity for a few months, I and the client didn't end the contract because he said that maybe he will need some support later,

does this specific contract that doesn't have activity for a few months affects my job success rate?

omda9999
Community Member

Hello, i got some non active contracts (3) which I’ve worked on, 2 of 3 of them are already paid but currently, they’re not active for almost +4 months! I asked the clients to close the contracts and leave a feedback since we don’t have any ongoing work! But no respond!
Although my jss went down from 100 to 98 which i feel that it was because of these inactive contracts.

-So, does ending these contracts from my side would affect my jss ? Or its better to leave them open if they’re not affecting my jss?

- The number ( 3 ) contract has a funded milestone ( which i have to do a live workout session with the client) but the client never responded since 3 months about when we have to do it!
. - So It’s an inactive contract too, would it be better if i closed this contract also? Or again it will affect my jss!?

Thanks in advance.
hauke_lea
Community Member

Hi,

I hope someone here can help me. This is my first year on upwork and I still try to figure everything out.

My problem is that my JSS is at 57 % which seems really low to me, given my job history.

I only did 5 jobs so far, one of them was a longer engagement and the client left a 4.3 rating. Three clients left 5 stars and one client no feedback at all.

Could someone tell me what went wrong and what I can do to improve?

Thank you!

Best,

Lea

elalejandro
Community Member

Hi, I just got 2 five stars feedback from different clients last week. Two weeks have passed and I am expecting that my JSS will change a bit from 97%. I just wanna ask if this is normal? Or do I have to get more 5 stars rating to increase my JSS?

Thank you so much for your help! 

marko_mihin
Community Member

Hi to everyone.

I noticed my job success score showing from today, but it's pretty low; only 71%

This surprises me because I had nothing but very positive feedback for the last few months since when I started using Upwork again.

The only negative feedback I remeber receiving was from a job 2 years ago, while I was working through an agency (so it's not even shown on my profile) and that was basicaly just a misfortunate misunderstanding  with a client who was new to Upwork.

My question is; could that one job had thad much significant impact on my score, is there some kind of "invisible" negative feedback I can see or something else that impacted my score?

I checked the explanation page, but I'm not sure if I uderstand how does it apply to my situation.

Thanks in advance for answering.

junaidcgi
Community Member

Can anyone please help me in connecting with someone responsible and sensible! 

My JSS was 86%, I completed 3 jobs, 2 jobs with 5 stars of same client and 1 is cancelled just after the acceptance so there was no transaction of any funds or work. But then my JSS drops to 85%. I mean how even 1 cancelled job is much heavier than 2 5-star jobs. I am aware of the fact of private feedback but that client is on-going client so I know he must have given much appreciatve feedback in private also. I talked to support on this and they just repeat their same logics and I just left it because I can't fight for my right because I know no one will listen. 

But now again, I completed 2 jobs, both with 5-stars and they worth of $1000 and the other one was $500. But still JSS is 85%. I just don't understand why??? Is there any problem in my face or profile or what!!!!! I  AM SO MUCH HEART BROKEN AND DISAPPOINTED NOW!!

Please I really need help!! This platform is my bread runner and I can't live without it but this JSS problem is really hurting me a lottt!!!!!

Please someone can help me here???

There is no one who can help you with this, because your JSS is calculated by an algorithm. No one at Upwork can alter it.

It's important to be aware that star ratings mean little or nothing. The clients' private feedback has much greater impact on your JSS, and you don't know what that was. 

You may not agree with how JSS is calculated, but it is what it is. There have been tens of thousands of complaining posts about it here, but that's all wasted time and pixels. The only way you can improve your JSS is to win more jobs and get better private ratings.

I understand your frustrations. 

Clients do not always leave a private feedback that is equal to the public one. All you can do is do the job the best way possible, and improve your "feel" of when clients are difficult or not happy with your work. And don't try to hard for the review, because that very obvious and people will leave a worse rating. Do your best with the job, and the review will write itself.

caubat-ella_mae
Community Member

Hello,

Can you please help me. I was so shocked to see I am not anymore in Upwork Top Rated and my JSS dropped to 89%.

Please help me.

Ella Mae C wrote:

Can you please help me. I was so shocked to see I am not anymore in Upwork Top Rated and my JSS dropped to 89%.

You had a large contract close on the 25th. Who closed that contract? You or the client?

dralveerariyazpt
Community Member

I am highly depressed, as i am not getting responsed on my profile like i use to get and it was all going good, but suddenly my JSS dropped from 100 to 73 percent and now m daily hunting for jobs but no one is hiring me due to this. Spent my all savings on connects and now due to covid crisis, left with nothing.
vector_incorp
Community Member

Hi there,

I have been working since Aug 2020, I have done 6 projects completely, but when I got my JSS, it is showing 81%, I don't know what is happening to my JSS, I need help, due to this I am not getting new clients and also I lost my Rising Talent Badge, also my top rated eligible weeks have dropped to 4 from 10. 

I can handle this anymore, please fix the issue with my JSS.

229d36cb
Community Member

Hello,

Now i have more a year working on upwoark and earn more than 1000$ and all client's give me 5 stars. and still my score not good and not a top rated.

Can anyone help me to check my profile to see what's wrong ?

Mostafa M wrote:

Hello,

Now i have more a year working on upwoark and earn more than 1000$ and all client's give me 5 stars. and still my score not good and not a top rated.

Can anyone help me to check my profile to see what's wrong ?

Job Success Score is mostly affected by Private Feedback (which is not visible to you). Apparently some of your clients left a medium to bad private feedback, that resulted to your current JSS

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members