🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Profile Picture
Page options
c6c7a244
Community Member

I wear a veil, how do I upload my profile picture with it on?

I wear a veil so i didn't upload my picture on my profile, instead used a cartoon. Now that i know there is no way around it and i have to put my real picture, I'm trying to change the picture and i cant. I have sent upwork my verification request already with my ID and real picture. I'm scared of they will suspend me?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi Hala,

To complete your Upwork profile and start submitting proposals, you must upload a profile portrait photo. Profile photos must be an actual picture of you. This is important for both verifying your identity and connecting with potential clients. Check out this article for A How-To Guide for Your Perfect Profile Picture.

If you would like to request a religious exemption for using a profile picture, please: 

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.
~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

296 REPLIES 296
mawraahmad
Community Member

I want to address the profile picture policy on Upwork, particularly for Niqabi freelancers like myself. As a Muslim woman who wears the niqab, I prefer not to show my face in my profile picture. I uploaded a picture of myself with the veil, but I received an email stating that my picture goes against the platform's policy.

Many of us choose to freelance on platforms like Upwork because it provides an opportunity to work comfortably from home. However, the requirement to display our faces without the veil creates discomfort and goes against our beliefs.

I have already completed the identity verification process and provided all necessary information to prove my identity. Despite this, I am still being asked to display my face without the veil, which I find unfair.

I've tried reaching out to support agents, but I'm consistently redirected to a chatbot, which doesn't address my concerns adequately.

I urge Upwork to reconsider its profile picture policy to accommodate diverse cultural and religious practices. Allowing Niqabi freelancers to use pictures with veils would ensure inclusivity and respect for individual choices.

I kindly request that Upwork consider allowing me to use a picture with my niqab. Thank you for considering my feedback.

Dont worry, it is allowed as exception. You can use niqab at your photo. Some moderator will create support ticket for you to agree details.

Thank you for your response. That's great to hear! Looking forward to the support ticket to finalize the details.

Hi Mawra,

Thank you for your message. Could you please try uploading your profile picture now? 

- Pradeep

Upwork

Thanks PradeepH. I have uploaded it again. Hope I won't get that email again.

99d22c99
Community Member

Hello,

How do I request a religious exemption for my profile photo? I prefer to not show my face, but my selected photo was declined. The bot says to submit a support ticket, but I can't find a way to submit such a thing anywhere. There is no green 'Get support' button on the help page, so I don't know where to go

I'd appreciate any assistance with this. Thank you!

Hi Mehrina,

Could you please try again this time to upload your profile photo?

~ Joanne
Upwork
d0ea3df5
Community Member

Hello.

I don't feel comfortable uploading my face online, but I uploaded one with a hoodie and sunglasses, and therefore I can't continue the process to start free-lancing.

Can anyone help me with that?

Yes, if you want to get hired, put your face online. Your chances of getting hired without a picture are very low. People already have a hard time trying to find jobs with a picture. Without it, you will most likely only find scams. and you will only waste your time and maybe loose money.

petra_r
Community Member

A S wrote: I uploaded one with a hoodie and sunglasses

Your profile won't be accepted that way. Your profile name also has to be your real name as it appears on your ID documents.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Could you please clarify if you would like to upload your profile picture with a veil? Do you want to upload picture with the covered face for religious reasons? Feel free to share more information so that we can assist you appropriately.

Please know that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile including your profile photo and your name needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable.

~ Nikola
Upwork
d0ea3df5
Community Member

Yes, for religious reasons.

Hi there,

I checked and it looks like you closed your account just recently. Could you please let us know If you want to restore your account?

~ Nikola
Upwork
6eb435ab
Community Member

Hey, I can't upload my profile picture of my full face due to religious purposes. Will a picture of me in a veil me accepted by upwork?

Hi Yusra Edrees,

I certainly understand your concern and you want this resolved immediately. However, I can see that you've reached out to the right department for your concern and a support ticket has in fact been set up. Please allow our team time to review your case and we highly encourage you to communicate through the ticket moving forward so that they can assist you more efficiently.

A gentle reminder, please avoid creating several tickets or posts for the same concern so that the team could assist you more efficiently. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
bf826dd8
Community Member

Hey there, I want to upload my profile picture with a veil because of religious reasons? Can I do it? I'm currently setting up my account and I've not completed my profile yet so I wanted to ask about the profile picture before getting any clients.

Hi Faiza,

While profile photos on Upwork must be an actual picture of you showing your full face, we allow for certain exemptions.

I've applied this exemption to your account. Could you please try uploading your profile picture one more time?
~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths