🐈
» Forums » Support » I wear a veil, how do I upload my profile pic...
Page options
c6c7a244
Community Member

I wear a veil, how do I upload my profile picture with it on?

I wear a veil so i didn't upload my picture on my profile, instead used a cartoon. Now that i know there is no way around it and i have to put my real picture, I'm trying to change the picture and i cant. I have sent upwork my verification request already with my ID and real picture. I'm scared of they will suspend me?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi Hala,

To complete your Upwork profile and start submitting proposals, you must upload a profile portrait photo. Profile photos must be an actual picture of you. This is important for both verifying your identity and connecting with potential clients. Check out this article for A How-To Guide for Your Perfect Profile Picture.

If you would like to request a religious exemption for using a profile picture, please: 

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.
~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

267 REPLIES 267
aura_noorism
Community Member

Hey, I recently started wearing veil but I am unable to upload my veiled picture as profile picture because of upwork profile picture protocols. Can any repsected member help me with it?

Hi Noor,

While profile photos on Upwork must be an actual picture of you showing your entire face, we do allow for certain exemptions. I've applied this exemption to your account as per your request. Could you please try uploading your profile picture one more time?
~ Luiggi
Upwork
3bec757f
Community Member

I want to put my son's picture because I wear a veil so I can't put my picture

Hi Imtiaz,

While profile photos on Upwork must be an actual picture of you showing your full face, we do allow for certain exemptions for religious reasons

I've applied this exemption to your account. Could you please try uploading your profile picture wearing a veil one more time?
~ Luiggi
Upwork
16384fef
Community Member

I want to use my veil picture due to some personel and religious reasons. but am unable to use my veil pic . i see some other freelancer use their veil pic but i am not. please help me.

Hi Taskeen,

I've applied this exemption to your account as per your request. Could you please try uploading your profile picture one more time?
~ Nikola
Upwork
16384fef
Community Member

Thank you for applying the exemption to my account. I appreciate your prompt assistance. I will try uploading my profile picture again and let you know if there are any issues.

16384fef
Community Member

I uploaded a veil picture finally, and there doesn't seem to be any problem. Thanks a lot for your great services! Can I use a cartoon picture or any other image instead of my own picture?

No, Taskeen. Your profile picture must be a photo of yourself. With the exemption Nikola applied, you were able to upload a picture of yourself wearing a veil.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
070c817f
Community Member

Hi,

My name is Ayesha and I just joined Upwork to gain some experience in the field of UX/UI Design via freelancing. During the ID verification process, I had to take a selfie to validate my ID card, which I did. However, since then, I’ve been receiving constant emails from Upwork asking me to change my profile picture because my face is not visible in it. Unfortunately, I cannot comply with this request due to religious reasons. Could you please guide me on how to stop receiving these emails?

Thank you for your assistance.

(I'm attaching a screenshot of the email I am getting and my profile picture.)

irtza46
Community Member

Hi Ayesha,
To ensure compliance with Upwork's policy on your profile photo, it is recommended that your face be clear and prominently visible in your profile picture. This helps establish trust and transparency with clients and enhances your professional image. Consider updating your profile picture to meet these guidelines for a more effective online presence.

irtza46
Community Member

Furthermore, you can contact Upwork support directly and explain your situation regarding the profile photo request due to religious reasons. They should be able to assist you in stopping these emails and finding a suitable solution for your situation.

Hi Ayesha,

I've applied this exemption to your account as per your request. Could you please try uploading your profile picture one more time?
~ Nikola
Upwork
070c817f
Community Member

Hi NikolaS

Thank you so much, for understanding! I've uploaded my profile picture and haven't gotten an email since 😊

d9c968db
Community Member

I am not able to verify my identity, I have posted my identity card picture and my selfie, I dont know why it is not recognizing. Also my profile picture is in veil as I do veil according to my religion, thus it tells me to remove and update it with full face but I dont want to do that.

Hi Maryam,

While profile photos on Upwork must be an actual picture of you showing your full face, we allow certain exemptions for religious reasons.

I've applied this exemption to your account. Could you please try uploading your profile picture one more time? After that, you can attempt to complete your verification again. 
~ Luiggi
Upwork
9714a417
Community Member

Dear Upwork Support Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I'm reaching out to seek assistance regarding the identity verification process on my Upwork profile.

As a niqabi and hijabi, I observe religious practices that require me to cover my face in public settings. While I understand the importance of verifying my identity, I'm hesitant to upload a profile photo without my niqab and hijab due to privacy and cultural considerations.

I would greatly appreciate your guidance on how to proceed with the identity verification process while maintaining my privacy and adhering to my cultural beliefs. If there are alternative methods or accommodations available, I would be grateful for your assistance in navigating this matter.

Thank you for your understanding and support in this matter. I look forward to your response and resolving this issue together.

Warm regards,

Ushna waseem 

Hi Ushna,

I've applied the photo exemption to your account as per your request. Could you please try uploading your profile picture again? Please let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
4da10869
Community Member

As part of setting up my account, I've been prompted to upload a photo of my myself, which I have attempted to repeatedly (fourteen times as of last count) on my mobile phone, using both my Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome mobile browsers. I've tried headshots with and without my glasses, and have ensured as far as I am able that the photos are of the recommended file type. No luck, thus far: the error message I see is "Sorry, something went wrong. We were unable to upload your image."

In a bid to fix this issue, I have also tried to log in to my Upwork app, only to encounter another error message: "Something's wrong -- We're aware of the issue, please contact us if the problem exists."

I have attached screenshots of both issues I've encountered for your perusal.

While I suppose I can always work on a mobile browser if the app issue persists, not being able to complete the setting up of my profile has made me unable to take on work as a very new and very green freelancer.

Any assistance that will resolve these issues, the profile photo uploading one in particular, will be deeply appreciated.

Hi John Darryl,

We've escalated your concern to the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
8826bc97
Community Member

I can't get my face on my profile there are exceptions I Muslim and wear a niqab. Can I wear a niqab picture of me? can you help me ? 

Hi Tasneem,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
8826bc97
Community Member

Thanks alot.

e10a44f4
Community Member

Hi,

I have uploaded a face-veiled display picture due to my religious beliefs and was unable to get my account visually verified. Can you help me with this issue and allow me an exemption?

Best Regards

Hi Rabeeba,

Thank you for reaching out. While profile photos on Upwork must be an actual picture of you showing your full face, we do allow for certain exemptions.

I've applied this exemption to your account as per your request. Your account is also now successfully verified. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
a1f17f02
Community Member

can I religious exemption to upload my photo with a veil?

Hi Rana,

~ Nikola
Upwork
a1f17f02
Community Member

Thank you so much Nikola.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths