🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Refund
Page options
dariusistrate
Community Member

Refund

Hello,
I've got an issue with a client
He needed an interview to talk about advertising in games. I joined the interview via google meets but the interview was with his friend or something like this.
Meanwhile I received an notification which says he want a refund.

What should I do?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
pgiambalvo
Community Member

I see your post was already editing but no one responded to you. First off, I think this was scam. And what is there to refund? And you can't communicate off of Upwork until after a contract is in place. Read this on how to spot scams: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Hello,
I have a contract on it.
he asked for a refund, then he said he did it by mistake, then he said to accept it, then he will give me another contract and pay it.
Should I accept the refund?
He may not send me another contract so doesn't make any sense.

How did he pay you? Was it as a bonus or was it for a fixed-price contract with his money in escrow? Did you do any work or just interview?

It was a fixed-price contract and he put the money in escrow.
The job was only an interview via google meets. because he said something like: he needs some "data" things..from players about advertising in games.

I woudn't refund it. You spent time in the interview, and that counts as work. Maybe politely ask him to hire you for whatever this next contract might be, then he can deduct/adjust the current amount in escrow from what he's going to offer you for the next one.

Darius I wrote:

Hello,
I have a contract on it.
he asked for a refund, then he said he did it by mistake, then he said to accept it, then he will give me another contract and pay it.
Should I accept the refund?
He may not send me another contract so doesn't make any sense.

No, that doesn't make any sense. If he could pay you on a new contract, then he could pay you on the old contract. 

Exactly.
That's why I have no idea what to do.
Do you have any suggestions?
I never had this issue so, should I open a Dispute? or just refuse his refund?
Thank you.

Refuse it and also tell him why and suggest what I said to tell him earlier.

Reject the refund request, then send the client a polite message saying that you understand he made a mistake and he should go ahead and release the funds to you, since that will be much easier than closing the project and starting a new one.

If it really was a mistake, then he should have no problem with that. But if he continues to make "creative" suggestions to solve the problem (i.e. anything other than just releasing the escrow funds), then Upwork mediation is your next step.

Edited to add: did you actually complete the milestone, or was more work supposed to be done in order to complete it? If you did less work than agreed to, the client can adjust the amount of the payment rather than requesting a refund.

Thank you.
I sent him a message now and I'm waiting the answer.
Also the job says: "I will ask questions relating to what motivates you to play, how the games align with your culture

/I will provide a small token of appreciation ($20) for taking time to share your experience with me". 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members