🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Something not right with job
Page options
bbf0f440
Community Member

Something not right with job

Hi I got an invite for a job and responded to it. I'm new to Upwork, so I wary of scams. When the client gave me the outline of the job, it didn't seem quite like what the job was advertised as and I'm not sure if some kind of scam against me or other fraud is occuring. The client has 2 decent reviews, but is also new on Upwork. Is there someone I can contact and show them the messages to help me?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I got an invite for a job and responded to it. I'm new to Upwork, so I wary of scams."

That is wise. Be wary. Come to the Forum if you have questions or concerns.

re: "When the client gave me the outline of the job, it didn't seem quite like what the job was advertised"

Well, that may or may not mean you are dealing with a scammer. Not every client is skilled in writing job descriptions. Sometimes people change their minds.

re: "I'm not sure if some kind of scam against me or other fraud is occuring."

You have not given us enough information to determine whether or not this is a scam or fraud.

Just having a final job description that is different from the job posting does not automatically mean something is a scam or a problem.

re: "The client has 2 decent reviews, but is also new on Upwork. Is there someone I can contact and show them the messages to help me?"

Yes.

You can discuss the matter right here in this thread.

You can't copy and paste the messages directly. But you can summarize or describe the situation and we can provide advice.

Should you contact Upwork Customer Support to discuss this job?
No.

If you know for certain that a job is violating Upwork ToS, then you may flag it. But you don't know that. So you need to discuss it here in the Forum.

Thank you. I'm not 100% sure that's why I've come here. I'm not sure how much details is ok to summarise here?  I feel like posting it publicaly here may provide to much specifics about the job and that would not be appropiate. I feel like to give a proper idea of the job I would have to list certain specifics to help determine if it's ok or not.

re: "I'm not sure how much details is ok to summarise here?"

As long as you don't directly copy and paste messages, you can go into EXTENSIVE detail to summarize a job posting or a discussion that you had with a client.

Some freelancers post descriptions that are many paragraphs long, leaving out very little detail. That is allowable.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Siun,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your concern. I'll check that for you and advise you accordingly.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members