🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: To all freelancers looking for help
Page options
the-right-writer
Community Member

To all freelancers looking for help

I have always had freelancers come to me for help. In the last year, the river has swelled into an enormous ocean.

You don't need me; Upwork provides an enormous amount of information that few ever use. If, after you have gone through all the information I provide, you still have questions, that is when you ask additional questions in the forum.

If you think you will make big bucks right away, you are mistaken. The majority of freelancers never land a job because they have no skills and aren't interested in educating themselves. Others believe online freelancing is a path to full-time employment. It can be, but highly unlikely on this platform.

Freelancing is not for everyone. It means you are self-employed and must adhere to all regulations and laws governing responsibilities, such as paying taxes. Freelancing means you are on your own. No one has your back, including Upwork. If you don't follow the rules, no one will or can help you.

If you are willing to work hard, follow the rules and prepared to spend a lot of connects and proposals, you can be successful, as many are on Upwork. While so many fail, it is almost always due to lack of skills and treating freelancing like employment  where the employer will make sure you do the job correctly.

If you want to succeed, start with the Terms of Service, then read this from Wes. 

Then go here. Then here.  Next, check this site regularly for events such as webinars and other learning opportunities.

After that, go here for safety information, and then here. If you still need help, after you have gone through all the previous steps, you can find additional help here. This thread is dedicated to new freelancers. And here are announcements from Upwork that can help keep you up to date.

It will take some time to go through all the information. I'm not suggesting people should not post in the forum, I am suggesting before you ask questions and want help, you need to help yourself first.

From Prashant P: "And have relevant profile picture of your face.  Not some desks, or Mickey mouse, or full face covering." 

From Susan S: "And patience! Have patience! It takes a while to get started, even after going through all the information available."

From Martina P:  "Only one thing you forgot, namely telling people to use all 15 skills, if you have all 15 skills"

And with advice from Maria T, I will say, 

Refrain from personal messages, please read all the links I have added.

1,846 REPLIES 1,846
mconicx
Community Member

By the way, my approximation for the three years is about 750 USD a month, including the two life-changing Jobs. Without them, I'd count down to 200ish a month. As for the real earnings, I'd count an hourly rate of 4 USD, mainly because I've only had 5% of my Jobs with hourly contracts.

378ce8f1
Community Member

I canceled my proposal because the client wanted to communicate outside the platform, is that a scam?

mconicx
Community Member

It's always a scam when a Client tries to work with you outside Upwork's protection. Friendly reminder to always check on whether their payment info is verified and kindly ask them to verify before you begin a contract if not.

It's not always a scam, but you definitely shouldn't go along with it.

I've had a couple of legitimate clients tell me they've hired other people off-platform, seemingly not realising that they can get kicked off Upwork for doing so. If anyone brings up communicating off-platform (before having a contract) or making payment outside of Upwork, I politely explain why I will not do so. Then it's up to them whether they want to play by the rules.

Yes. In almost every single case, it is a scam. In the future, as soon as a potential client wants you outside of Upwork before an Upwork contract is in place, explain the Terms of Service and offer to help them figure out how to do it correctly. You won't hear from them again.

Most of those Clients were reluctant, but agreed to keeping communications on UW, still I haven't heard of them since. 🙂

bhusal-sudartion
Community Member

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~018445d59fc53da770

This is my profile and I haven't worked from more than 1 year and now I am run out of connects. Does using others dollar card suspend my account. I don't have any cards to buy connect. How can I get more connects except monthly 10. Now I want to restart my journey on upwork again. Please suggest me someone 

You can improve your profile. Use the post at the top of the page to go through the Upwork resources.

The first line of your profile is all the clients see in a search. Currently, you are wasting that space. Saying you can assist, if they need it, is not going to win many clients. Having one very unhappy client may be hindering you. Once you find more jobs, it won't be as noticeable. I'm not sure how you arrived at 100%JSS with a one star and only four jobs. With more jobs and feedback, it will be less of an issue. Make sure you understand what went wrong, and if you had a part, understand how you can avoid issues in the fiture.

d510b590
Community Member

Hi, I have read the courses, created the profile & bidding regularly. But not getting profile or proposal views. Am I missing something, Can you please suggest by taking a look.
Here's my profile link. Faraz Rohaila

Faraz, your profile is quite good. You have put in the time and effort to create a professional profile. It's rare to see someone who has done the work. Great job.

You will hear a lot of advice from a range of people and sources. Ultimately, your profile is what you want it to be. There is no perfect way. There are freelancers with terrible profiles, barely anything there, and yet they have earned money. Considering the platform changes, it's no longer OK to just throw something up because you need every potential advantage.

It's not easy or quick to find jobs here, especially at first. No matter what is going on at Upwork, or in the world, it takes time and proposals. Upwork removed all limits on numbers of freelancers and all skills and platform tests. Once that happened, the platform became flooded, so you have a lot of competition.

However, there are certainly people who are still making money here.

Since the first line is all the clients see in a search, I would change it to tell the client why you can do the job better than anyone else. For example, "I will create the quickest, most accurate widget program, while reducing costs." For proposals, the clients see only the first two lines. Don't use greetings or names. It may seem polite, but it's a waste of that space. Only apply for jobs that fit your skills, and learn all you can about vetting the client and the job.

The search algorithm is a secret, but no one has been able to explain how freelancers are listed. It seems to be a random thing, unless you pay for the privilege. Even then, there doesn't seem to be much logic to the order.

Many freelancers are struggling. There is no magic formula. Don't look to one source, be creative and find other ways to earn. In freelancing, you don't control a platform.

hassansultan60
Community Member

Hi Freelancers, 

Hope you're having a good day.

Has anyone else received this mail regarding a survey from Qualitrics on behalf of Upwork? 

The screenshot is attached please also let me know if it's legit.

Upwork Survey.PNG

2c1297cd
Community Member

Is it normal for potential clients to ask for your address and banking information for procurement? Anyone?

Yes, it is - normal for scammers.

You have to learn to protect yourself, because no one will do it for you, including Upwork, Use the post at the top, and learn the Red Flags on Scams from Wes, and how to use the platform safely. Scammers look at your profile and can tell you haven't read or aren't following the rules.

7088231d
Community Member

How do I charge for services after I included certifications such as Google Ads - Measurement in my Upwork profile with the profile hourly rate set to $150/hr?

Considering you haven't bothered to do anything with your profile except set your fee at $150.00, you are way ahead of yourself.

"I enjoy making money to earn a living while communicating with many other people as I can to learn who they are and how I can better assist in any way possible."

Why do you think anyone will pay you anything for this, much less $150.00 an hour?

Forget the hourly rate, which is far too high for you. You have no profile, no experience, no job history, and zero experience in the field. There are many, many people with your skills. You can't just sign up and expect to have clients paying you high dollar figures.

If you want to freelance, go back to the top pinned post, read it and follow every link. All you will find with your current profile is scams, because the scammers can tell, easily, you haven't read or aren't following the rules.

Worrying about raising your rates, is the last thing you should be concerned about now.

But what is this top pinned post I need to look for to read and follow every link? Is it from https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01593c5628c009ccff or from https://www.upwork.com/nx/find-work/ ? I need your help, especially in knowing how I can charge for services based on what I watched on social media.

the start of this post thread.

Yes, in your situation, you do need to use the top post. I wrote it - I have no idea why you are linking it to yourself. Yes, I looked at your profile, and gave you an honest assessment of your ability to use the platform correctly. You will not find a single legitimate job and will be scammed unless you change and act like a freelancer.

A skilled freelancer should not be looking at social media for advice. Sure, lots of people do, but who are the ones giving you advice, and what is their motivation?

You have nothing at all in your profile. Yes, you need to learn how to safely, and correctly use the site, because you are not doing it now. It's your choice. You can learn, create a professional profile, adjust your rate, which is far too high, to something fitting, and have success. Why would anyone give you $150.00 an hour, when you have no profile? No skills, absolutely nothing? You can complain about advice suggesting you do a very quick read and learn the rules and Red Flags on Scams.

I don't know if you have any marketable skills, but from your profile, it looks as if you are a scammer or a bot. No legitimate client will go near you. It's all up to you.

efecd16d
Community Member

hi im looking for help maam,im asking if how can i find job as a freelancer

If you want to freelance, start by reading the post at the top of the page, and follow every link. Your profile is completely empty. You appear to be a bot.

blurecluse
Community Member

Hello Jeanne-

Quick question. I'm going through my feed and almost half of the job postings are like this. They display that there has been a hire, but the job is still accepting proposals. Are these jobs still open, or is Upwork trying to get me to spend connects on jobs that are already closed?

The job remains open unless the client closes the position or Upwork removes it for Terms violations. Personally, I never apply if there are people being interviewed, unless I want the job and I know I can do it better than anyone else.

Usually, the client doesn't know they should close the job, or they just don't care. Some jobs will say they are hiring multiple freelancers, but if it doesn't, then I would not apply.

I will let you decide why Upwork employs this strategy.

By the way, just curious, why are you looking for Upwork jobs on messaging?

I'm not. Why would think that? These screen shots are from my "Find Work" feed.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

0583717b
Community Member

Hi mam 

I looking for community support about my profile on Upwork

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members