🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: To all freelancers looking for help
Page options
the-right-writer
Community Member

To all freelancers looking for help

I have always had freelancers come to me for help. In the last year, the river has swelled into an enormous ocean.

You don't need me; Upwork provides an enormous amount of information that few ever use. If, after you have gone through all the information I provide, you still have questions, that is when you ask additional questions in the forum.

If you think you will make big bucks right away, you are mistaken. The majority of freelancers never land a job because they have no skills and aren't interested in educating themselves. Others believe online freelancing is a path to full-time employment. It can be, but highly unlikely on this platform.

Freelancing is not for everyone. It means you are self-employed and must adhere to all regulations and laws governing responsibilities, such as paying taxes. Freelancing means you are on your own. No one has your back, including Upwork. If you don't follow the rules, no one will or can help you.

If you are willing to work hard, follow the rules and prepared to spend a lot of connects and proposals, you can be successful, as many are on Upwork. While so many fail, it is almost always due to lack of skills and treating freelancing like employment  where the employer will make sure you do the job correctly.

If you want to succeed, start with the Terms of Service, then read this from Wes. 

Then go here. Then here.  Next, check this site regularly for events such as webinars and other learning opportunities.

After that, go here for safety information, and then here. If you still need help, after you have gone through all the previous steps, you can find additional help here. This thread is dedicated to new freelancers. And here are announcements from Upwork that can help keep you up to date.

It will take some time to go through all the information. I'm not suggesting people should not post in the forum, I am suggesting before you ask questions and want help, you need to help yourself first.

From Prashant P: "And have relevant profile picture of your face.  Not some desks, or Mickey mouse, or full face covering." 

From Susan S: "And patience! Have patience! It takes a while to get started, even after going through all the information available."

From Martina P:  "Only one thing you forgot, namely telling people to use all 15 skills, if you have all 15 skills"

And with advice from Maria T, I will say, 

Refrain from personal messages, please read all the links I have added.

1,842 REPLIES 1,842

Clients and freelancers can take their business outside of Upwork, anywhere they want, including privately, if they have been working together for at least 2 years, the client has to start the process and pay $1.00 There are a few other minor requirements.

There are other ways to earn besides platforms. We all need to be creative and think outside the box.

elliott-jonathan
Community Member

Thanks for this very helpful post.

2297e2bc
Community Member

Well satated and right on the money.

Most freelancers want a quick buck from thier livving room, and have not even worked in open society. They innundate the proposals with bull and cause chaos for those who rely on these gigs. They need to get a burger job first - then come here.

Thanks for your  post and continue to be a voice of reason - Dave

2b98c6ad
Community Member

I think the forums and support webinars with the masters are super helpful and informative

Helps to get freelancers "on track"

0125ae50
Community Member

Community Member

2297e2bc
Community Member

Jeanne,

Today's business world ibelieves in  fast money for little work. I can be a millionaire being an influencer on U-tube. Yet 98% can't do a good video presentation.  I agree with your assesments above. Freelancing is not for the faint of hart or the lazy. And YES! You will spend a fortune in connects and proosal time to land jobs. THAT is the reality of this world.  Been here for 60+ years myself. Working a box store actually has better ROI AND insurance! You don't get THAT independently! ------- Always around for some senior mentoring and consultation. - Dave 

14c37fbe
Community Member

Hello Dear,

I have completed my profile on upwork, I have uploaded portfolio with work samples, also added video introduction. 

Have been submitting porposals from a month but couldnt get any task assigned.

All my connects are also gone.

I suggest to view my profile and advise for any imporvements and also please refer me to recruiters for any tasks so that atleast I can start working here.

Thanks,

Qasim Mehmood.

Other than a better picture it looks OK. BUt take heart. My results ARE THE SAME. I have posted elsewhere my reasoning. In a nutshell - to many emplyees at the hiring window! Like the great depression images!!

Good Luck

- Dave

Your profile needs work. The client sees the first line of your profile, so don't waste it with your name, skills, or greetings. The client sees this in your profile. Use the first line to grab the client's attention. Tell them why you can do the job better than anyone, and make sure you have the hard skills to back it up.

If you haven't, read the top post, and follow every link. You will find no jobs and lots of scams as a writer who is not fluent in any language. You cannot be a professional writer unless you are native or bilingual in some language.  I urge you to assess your real skills, and redo your profile accordingly Data entry is a flooded field, and you will have a tremendous amount of competition.

936e8102
Community Member

Please, help me to review my profile

You can help yourselfe well  by just reading through the suggestions on the UpWorks site.  MOST of the links are available in the openning letter above.

f you want to succeed, start with the Terms of Service, then read this from Wes.

Then go here. Then here.  Next, check this site regularly for events such as webinars and other learning opportunities.

After that, go here for safety information, and then here. If you still need help, after you have gone through all the previous steps, you can find additional help here. This thread is dedicated to new freelancers. And here are announcements from Upwork that can help keep you up to date.

It will take some time to go through all the information. I'm not suggesting people should not post in the forum, I am suggesting before you ask questions and want help, you need to help yourself first.

PLENTY of recomendations.

There are numerous great video on the tube too! Take the time - DIY!

Godd luck

-Dave

I'm wondering why you quote me, word for word, and do not use quotes or acknowledgement? This is a problem I see with lots of posts. No one should copy another person's words, anywhere, without acknowledgement.

In case you are not aware, when you use someone's words, verbatim, you need to say so. It is not just polite, it is plagiarism. No matter where, when you plagiarize, it's stealing. I'm saying this because people can get into deep legal trouble if they do this in other venues, and with clients.

You can use italics, quotation marks, or just say "so and so wrote."

I post this because I have to be consistent. While you may know this, many do not, and when it pops up, if not addressed, those same people do not realize the problem. And there are some who do it intentionally.

Also, YouTube is one of the worst places for Upwork and freelance garbage. Far too many get rich and just fill out a profile, advice.

Edited: For new freelancers, YouTube can be a minefield. While there are a few good videos, most of them give terrible advice. For a newcomer, it can be very difficult to discern between the two. Instead of YouTube, freelancers need to read and understand the Terms of Service and the red flag advice from Wes first, and read through the forum and all of Upwork's resources before venturing into YouTube. Ask experienced freelancers for reliable and helpful programs, videos, etc. Too many jump into jobs without understanding how to use the platform.

First, remove your name from the skills titles. It's in other places, and should not be in the titles. The clients see the top line of your profile in a search - make it sell your services. Don't use names, greetings or skills, tell the client why you can do a better job than anyone else. Make certain you have the hard skills to support your claims. An example, "I can create a more powerful widget, using my widget skills, for a lower cost." Tell the client what you will do for them with your white-hat SEO skills.

Some people use testimonials, but until you have more experience, stay with an attention grabbing sentence that says it all. It's difficult, but not impossible, to work until you have everything in that one, very brief opportunity to reach the client.

I would remove "local" from the skills titles, and you can add it to the text.

If you haven't, read the top post and follow the links. Learn and follow the Terms of Service and the Red Flags on Scams from Wes.

The text is far too long. Clients don't want to read that much. Reduce the amount by combining sentences and eliminating duplication. There are too many lists, so format them as paragraphs. I would limit the use of lists to one with three or four lines. You'll find resources to additional help in the links. 

Don't be afraid to make your profile your own. No client likes to see exact replicas in everyone's profile.

I receive many requests for help. Unfortunately, most of those freelancers have done little on their own. You did most of the work, and have shown you intend to be successful. Good for you!

2297e2bc
Community Member

Jeanne,

I feel sorry for al the people who try to get work, but don't wantto research and do the leg work. Your suggestions are a great place for any newby to start. But I guess AI will be the next step in a "give-me-a-job" environment.  Not the "let ME FIND a job environment.

statusenglish
Community Member

Would you kindly look out my profile?
I am in a terrible moment right now... close to zero jobs for the past two months. I wonder if it's just the time period, but then again... it's never been this bad.

Here it is: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/gustavocaperuttodamota

Thank you in advance.

Hi Gustavo, same here. I am looking for an alternative to Upwork. I think it will get worse and worse in the next month.

Save your time. I just dithced Feelancer and 5-r...NO better results there and they cost too much.
Backup job is shelf stocker at a retail store and not rely on the Wild,Wild Web anymore. Tooo many compeditors in one space.

There are excellent platforms. However, they have hard rules for category skills, and limits, and the same for the platform. The other platforms often have waiting lists. Then there is the physical world.

Yeah... the pandemic brought a flood of unemployed people who had to find some sort of income.

If Upwork had not ditched every number's limit and skills tests, there wouldn't be a flooded field of freelancers.

While there are some minor changes recommended by Upwork, I wouldn't change anything since you have previous successes.

Unfortunately, you are, like many skilled freelancers, unable to find a decent job here. It isn't your skill or your profile, it is the Upwork platform that holds those who will throw connects at anything over highly-skilled, top earners.

Be creative and think outside the box for clients.

It doesn't help, but you are not alone. Many excellent freelancers have gone, or are using Upwork on a minimum basis.

Thank you, Jeanne!

e9313b35
Community Member

Hello! I'd like to have some tips to get work in Upwork.

Start by reading the introduction letter to this forum.

Click on the links and you should find ALL the info to get you started.

Then, when you need further help - call us here!

Good Luck

7c701ea5
Community Member

Hi Jeanne, If I do withdraw my proposal, number of connects is back or lost? Thank you.

The connects will not be returned if you withdraw the proposal.

8268fc2d
Community Member

Hi,

Thank you for all the links and pieces of advice. There are really helpful.
I'd like to get some tips how to revive profile. I already have one 100% filled in and I got several jobs in the past, but I haven't got any interview requests nor invites for 3 months already! Even though I tried boosting profiles and my CLs. Views are also scarce, and I am sending a lot of CLs. JSS and badge are fine due to the Agency I am in. And still there is no response.

Perhaps, my profile needs renovation? Could you please have a look?

Best Regards, Valentina

You say you are an "aspiring embedded developer." Then you mention, "if I lack experience." I'm not trying to be insulting, but it doesn't sound like you have those skills now. If you don't have them, remove them now, because it will only lead to trouble. Clients want professionals and not students.

Never say anything about the client not paying. Not only will every scammer be at your door, but every cheap client, too. If a client does ask for free work, report them to Upwork.

I would take some time to go through all your skills, write them down, and see what you have to offer. It's great to learn, but what you have in the profile must be hard skills that you possess now. Remove the lists and find a way to put them into paragraphs. The first sentence is all the client sees in your profile, and the top two lines in your proposal. For both, use that space to tell the client why you can do the job better than anyone else. Make sure you have the skills to back you up.

While your profile can be improved, it may not result in more clients. Many freelancers are experiencing a lack of work. However, the quality profile also serves as a big deterrent for the scammers.

I modify my profile almost weekly. Take out what feels wrong, improve on words or phrases, juggle it arouns, etc.

ALL Freelancers should take heart. E-bay, Etsy and other "hard good" independent opportunities also are suffering for lack of business. Downward since 2022

Causes identified are:

• Over abundance of providers in the market or service space.
  • Fewer buyers available
    • Economy
    • Political uncertainty
    • Threats of War or economical collapse
    • Colectability or need of hard items
  • Perceived product or service value
    • Due to under pricing
  • Low cost Do-It-Yourself Apps (Democritization)
    • This began in the '90s !

Many more down the list - but those are the main identifiers.
Feel free to add some

- Dave

WOW. Thes qualifications blow me away. But also makes me wonder if a freelancer is right for thsi sofisticated work! After all, your not doing YouTube editing like the 3000+ other people here. It seemes extreamly specialized. Am I wrong?

99e02d7f0a0f2809
Community Member

Wow I like this post, it's helpful 

mconicx
Community Member

Shall we start an Upwork Job ratio chain, to keep this thread alive!?

Me first!

Disclaimer: This, by any means does not mean that I am ranting nor even complaining, neither am I trying to encourage ranting over lack of dollar signs for eyes. Over the years of experience with freelance on Upwork, and even outside of Upwork, I have learned to be happy with what I've got and I currently do feel happy about the Jobs I've accomplished so far on Upwork. Meanwhile, I keep on writing proposals and answer to every invite I get, with all the free connects I get every month.

Anywho, here goes.

Jobs:

mconicx_2-1705835699040.png

Out of

mconicx_0-1705835573750.png

mconicx_1-1705835587233.png

I hope this chain makes new freelancers feel better about themselves, as this is normal (even outside of Upwork!), and that you shouldn't stop trying. I've met two Clients with life-changing Jobs, and if they ever come back with more work, I'd seriously consider agreeing on paying the conversion fee and move to who knows how big of a change. One Contract's conversion fee will be $1 in February since It's been two years after we've initiated.

2297e2bc
Community Member

Marco,

I was going to publish my meager history too. But I've only been here 1 month. The average "get going" timeframe is 6-9 months. 

• YOU have been here almost 3 years!
  • Your average is 98 proposals /year
  • 54 intervewiws / year.
  • 2 "life changing" jobs (fantastic!)

Therfore, your RATIO is rather dissapointiing and most likely NOT ebough to support a house payment!

The real question - how many have turned into actual work and at what average pay (income)?

I've been in real work job market for over 50 years. You need a full analysis to get the honest picture.

Anyone need a spreadsheet??

-Dave

mconicx
Community Member

Hello David, 

It is rather disappointing, indeed. You cannot make a living out of Upwork for a family of three, not when you're making earnings alone. I've had much better luck with friends who paid freelance work in real life. 

My luck with proposals was with Clients who do not wish to pay a reasonable price for my standards. I have flopped a few Jobs, but I learned from it and keep trying, so far doing good.

The average is horrendous, if I don't count a long-term contract (the life changing one).

Basically, there are Freelancers who would agree to a ridiculous price for my standards, and of course the Clients wouldn't be crazy enough not to give them a shot.

Things just might turn out better if there was an algorithm to narrow down the global market system to certain parts of the world whose standards are identical or similar. 

I kid you not, I've been on hiatus until recently and even thought about ditching Upwork for good after receiving really bad offers, but some parts of the world can buy luxury for $25

Just don't expect to live the life here, don't bother blaming yourself for everything, and keep trying. My best advice is find a field that the majority of Freelancers aren't schooled for, there are jobs hiring for those definitely out there.

mconicx
Community Member

By the way, my approximation for the three years is about 750 USD a month, including the two life-changing Jobs. Without them, I'd count down to 200ish a month. As for the real earnings, I'd count an hourly rate of 4 USD, mainly because I've only had 5% of my Jobs with hourly contracts.

378ce8f1
Community Member

I canceled my proposal because the client wanted to communicate outside the platform, is that a scam?

mconicx
Community Member

It's always a scam when a Client tries to work with you outside Upwork's protection. Friendly reminder to always check on whether their payment info is verified and kindly ask them to verify before you begin a contract if not.

It's not always a scam, but you definitely shouldn't go along with it.

I've had a couple of legitimate clients tell me they've hired other people off-platform, seemingly not realising that they can get kicked off Upwork for doing so. If anyone brings up communicating off-platform (before having a contract) or making payment outside of Upwork, I politely explain why I will not do so. Then it's up to them whether they want to play by the rules.

Yes. In almost every single case, it is a scam. In the future, as soon as a potential client wants you outside of Upwork before an Upwork contract is in place, explain the Terms of Service and offer to help them figure out how to do it correctly. You won't hear from them again.

Most of those Clients were reluctant, but agreed to keeping communications on UW, still I haven't heard of them since. 🙂

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members