🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: To all freelancers looking for help
Page options
the-right-writer
Community Member

To all freelancers looking for help

I have always had freelancers come to me for help. In the last year, the river has swelled into an enormous ocean.

You don't need me; Upwork provides an enormous amount of information that few ever use. If, after you have gone through all the information I provide, you still have questions, that is when you ask additional questions in the forum.

If you think you will make big bucks right away, you are mistaken. The majority of freelancers never land a job because they have no skills and aren't interested in educating themselves. Others believe online freelancing is a path to full-time employment. It can be, but highly unlikely on this platform.

Freelancing is not for everyone. It means you are self-employed and must adhere to all regulations and laws governing responsibilities, such as paying taxes. Freelancing means you are on your own. No one has your back, including Upwork. If you don't follow the rules, no one will or can help you.

If you are willing to work hard, follow the rules and prepared to spend a lot of connects and proposals, you can be successful, as many are on Upwork. While so many fail, it is almost always due to lack of skills and treating freelancing like employment  where the employer will make sure you do the job correctly.

If you want to succeed, start with the Terms of Service, then read this from Wes. 

Then go here. Then here.  Next, check this site regularly for events such as webinars and other learning opportunities.

After that, go here for safety information, and then here. If you still need help, after you have gone through all the previous steps, you can find additional help here. This thread is dedicated to new freelancers. And here are announcements from Upwork that can help keep you up to date.

It will take some time to go through all the information. I'm not suggesting people should not post in the forum, I am suggesting before you ask questions and want help, you need to help yourself first.

From Prashant P: "And have relevant profile picture of your face.  Not some desks, or Mickey mouse, or full face covering." 

From Susan S: "And patience! Have patience! It takes a while to get started, even after going through all the information available."

From Martina P:  "Only one thing you forgot, namely telling people to use all 15 skills, if you have all 15 skills"

And with advice from Maria T, I will say, 

Refrain from personal messages, please read all the links I have added.

1,844 REPLIES 1,844

The contract should state the job and all details. Do not accept until it says everything you want it to say. This goes for clients as well. It is the only document that shows what the agreement is between client and freelancer. It should contain information on revisions, changes, alterations, time to complete the job, exact description, and all details.

You should never accept a job when you don't know what the job is. How do you know you can do it? I understand wanting to get your first job, but this is not the way to do it. You have to start at the beginning, before you lose everything. Go back to the top pinned post, read it, and follow every link. If you continue, you will only be scammed.

Don't do any work. Contact the client and tell them you need to see the tasks. For all you know, you could be obligated to work for the next ten years. If you do not hear from the client, or if the tasks are outrageous, you may need to close the contract.

7515a8b5
Community Member

Dear Jeanee  :

Your comments are very helpfull, can you please review my profile as well.

Regards

I understand you want to be honest with the client, but clients don't want to hear that you are new and learning. Don't mention being new, especially in the first line. The first sentence is all the client sees in a search. Try searching for a freelancer and you will see what I mean.Make sure the skills you use in the title are in the search engines.

Use the first line to tell the client why you are the best choice, and can do the job better than anyone. Make sure you can back up your claims. If you feel you want to express that you are new, you could say something like, "What I lack in years of experience, I make up for with dedication to the project."

Offering money back if the client isn't happy, is generous of you, but it will lead to trouble. Upwork is like a random chat room because you don't know anyone, their real name, or their intent. Scam clients will abuse your offer, and you will lose money. Remove the offer completely, and do not extend it to anyone.

When you rewrite the introduction, put it into paragraphs, and don't use graphics or emojis, unless it directly pertains to the job. The list you have might be OK, if you have text around it. Build the profile around the skills. Either use a spell check program, or have a native English speaker who is also a proofreader or editor to go over your profile. Currently, you have errors. Also, I would suggest finding a more neutral background for your photo.

Thank you very much, you have provided me with information that I have never seen before.

What color do you suggest for my background?

I also apply for many jobs and lose points, but the client does not accept my offer. What do you advise me?

Neutrals that work well are in the brown, white, and gray colors. The problem with a colorful background is that it detracts from the photo and does not look professional. A light, neutral color prevents it from looking sterile and boring, without overwhelming the photo. Don't use dark colors, a hat, sunglasses, AI, animated gif, or similar enhancement.

One of the reasons you haven't been hired is your profile. You need to rewrite it before you apply for jobs. In proposals, the clients see the first two lines, so don't waste them with greetings or skills. Use those lines to tell the client why you can do their project better than anyone else.

It takes time and a lot of proposals for most freelancers to find a job. It can take 65–100 for some freelancers. The figure will be different depending on skills and the field.

Proposals need to explain how you will accomplish the job. While some will say keep the proposal to a specific amount of words, what matters is letting the client know how you can do the job. Not that you are actually doing the job, or explaining every detail, but enough information so the client knows you have the requirements to complete the job successfully.

After you make the changes, be selective when applying for jobs so as not to waste connects. Don't apply unless you hold all the major requirements and most of the smaller ones. In most cases, if you don't h ave every qualification, you will never be hired. The graphic design category has a tremendous amount of competition, so you need to find a way to specialize and stand out in the crowd.

Thank you
I have changed the image now.
Please take a look, if there is any comment you have to tell me.

If you don't have a message from me, be patient, and I will respond. There is no need to post more than once. I understand, you are eager to begin your Upwork journey.

The photo is fine. Your profile is much improved. I would use a spell and grammar check. In your field, it's not essential to have excellent grammar, but it looks better in your profile.

Continue to use the resource and update links in the top pinned post to stay current on changes. Now you can focus on creating great proposals. Use the resource links  for additional help.

7515a8b5
Community Member

I have edited my profile, please take a look.

7515a8b5
Community Member

Thank you
I have changed the image now.
Please take a look, if there is any comment you have to tell me

im looking for help

Go back to the top pinned post, read it, and follow every single link.

##- what problem do you have
-##

The OP posts in multiple categories.

4557ea00
Community Member

I am a freelancer looking for work can you refer me to some clients?

This is not how you freelance. Your profile is completely empty. I don't know if you are a bot or a freelancer, and neither will a client. If you want to freelance, go back to the top pinned post, read it, and follow every link. You have to start at the beginning and are not prepared to even look at jobs.

909c5b9e
Community Member

hi

asi khan
e16f5fc8
Community Member

Hello  Jeanne, 

So I am new to this platform and I would like to know which is better as I start:

1. Should I bring my client via the any-hire program?

2. OR just let them post a job and I bid and get it just normally?

Also, i would very much appreciate your opinion on my profile please.

hello

Hi how do you do?

Because you are new, if you have not, you need to go back to the top post and read it and follow every link. There are many things you need to know, before you think about jobs. Use the resources to improve your profile. Take the lists, and form them into paragraphs, and remove all or nearly all the graphics/emojis.

Make sure your skills title is a searchable one through Upwork. Don't waste the first line with greetings. The first sentence is all the clients see in a search, so use it to tell them why you are the best freelancer, but make certain you can back up your claims with hard skills.

Remove the statement about your portfolio, because they can see it. The same for using your name. The clients can see your name, so don't waste precious space. Change "invite me to an interview" to add "on Upwork." Too many clients want freelancers off the platform for scams.

If you have a working relationship with a client, I'm not sure why you would bring them to a platform. If this is for new clients, or you don't wish to handle the financials yourself, you need to look at the kind of jobs.

Is this for a one-off job, or is it ongoing? If you can describe more about the client relationship, it will be easier to provide information. Ultimately, the decision is up to you. If it is a one time job, then it probably makes more sense to use the hourly or fixed price. For long-term clients, any hire might make more sense.

Check this link for more information on direct contracts. And this for more information.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll work on it.

About my client,

I aim to get a good review from them as well as save the 10% fee that I read (I believe its called any hire) Upwork offers to freelancers who bring their clients.

I think the one that I get to save on the fees is good, I just don't have indepth information about it.

If you don't find the answers in the links I posted, post again, and I will try to find more info.

😃👍
asi khan
72ec18be
Community Member

Hello, I need help my profile is hundred percent but since then I have not been interviewed or received anything from the clients.what might have been missing in my profile?

Finding your first client is not easy for most people, and can require dozens of proposals. However, there are steps you can take to improve your profile and submissions. I would change the background color in your photo to a neutral color, or at least a lighter shade that doesn't overwhelm you. It will make you more visible, and it will look more professional.

Use the first line to explain to the client why you are the best choice for their project. Add more text, in paragraphs, about your work and what you can bring to the client's projects. Also, I would add a few more items to your portfolio.

If you haven't, go back to the top post and follow every link. Freelancers have to learn the rules, and about scams and how to be safe.

7c07ae9b
Community Member

hello jeanne

am new here on upwork i need a hand to complete my profile am 70% now and i want someone to guide me on how i can start working. 

Thank you

Once you complete your profile, go back to the top pinned post, read it and follow every link. You need to learn the rules to use the platform correctly and safely. Pay special attention to the Red Flags on Scams from Wes. I suggest you use a plain, neutral color background for your photo. In your profile, the client only sees the first short sentence, so don't use names, greetings, or skills. Use that line to tell the client why you will do a better job than the rest - but make sure you have those hard skills to back up your claims.

samsul007
Community Member

Recently I landed on my first project but still confused and the reason is my Profile is well-optimized or not.
Please Help me to give a feedback about my profile.

Md.Samsul Ehasan

Use the top pinned post for help with your profile, and how to use the platform safely. Remove the emojis/graphics and form the text into paragraphs. The first line is all the clients see in a search, so use it wisely, to tell the client why you are better than the rest, if you can back up your claims with skills.

If you don't know the Terms of Service and the Red Flags on Scams, do not even look at jobs until you do.

d165a808
Community Member

Thanks to you for providing lot of knowledge, we gained something...

d08dd31f
Community Member

Nice Post,

Well, I am a Video Editor. Recently, I joined Upwork. But I have worked for a UK-based agency for 3 years. Now I am looking to scale. Any referrals are welcome 🙂

While you may have meant this as an introduction, it's not OK to advertise in the community forum. Up to the point of asking for referrals would have been OK.

116fc77b
Community Member

Hello Jeanne,

I have been fully active in Upwork for a week and even sent 9 proposals to the clients. My profile has not even been viewed by clients. I am desperately looking for my first project. But I am not able to get that. How should I proceed now? Can you provide me some suggestions? It would be very helpful for me.

A week is nothing compared to how long most freelancers struggle to get the first job. And nine proposals may need to be 65–100, before you get a nibble. It can take a long time to get established, and many proposals. Every freelancer is different, but most never have any job, usually because they have no skills. Use the top post for the Upwork and community resources. Create an amazing profile, and an even more amazing proposal. Be prepared to spend time, energy, money, effort, and use the hard skills required.

Thanks for encouraging me and letting me know.

c71c12bb
Community Member

You're absolutely right Jeanne, Upwork has provided everything needed to guide every freelancers, even if you're new to Upwork or have been here for a long time.

72ec18be
Community Member

Hi Jeanne  pliz i have read and understand terms and service so remain with only one thing ; humbled you can review my profile and please tell me what to do next.

best regard

I would change the background color in your photo to a neutral color, or at least a lighter shade that doesn't overwhelm you.  Use a larger photo of your face. Clients don't care what freelancers look like, but they like to have a face with a name, and some will want to verify your identity in a chat room to match your photo. It will make you, literally, more visible, and it will look more professional.

Add more information, in paragraphs, about your work and what you can bring to the client's projects. Also, I would add a few more items to your portfolio. There are three, now, and I would add three more or so. If you don't have work from a client, with their permission to publish, you can create your own. Also, you could create a video, and then show how you edited it to make it better.

A self-taught video & photo editor with more than 7 years of experience.

Instead, write, for example, I will create a professional video, edited to enhance the content and promote the subject matter. This is just an example, and everyone needs to create their own, tailored to their business.

With a little more work, you can have a great profile.

d9d95e07
Community Member

Hi there, you are so helpful. I am new to Upwork so trying to navigate carefully. I got a message from a client asking me to communicate with him via telegram. The client has not made any offer or issued any sort of contract. What would be the best thing to do in this instance as I read there are plenty scammers on here... 

Stop communicating with the scammer, and report to Upwork. Any time they want you outside of Upwork before an Upwork contract is in place, it's a scam. They seem to like Telegram.

You need to go back to the top post, and hover over the links. Read the Red Flags on Scams, and the rest of the links, if you haven't. You have to learn how to protect yourself, because no one, including Upwork, will do it for you.

Good for you for bringing it to the forum before you responded. You would have been scammed.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members