🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Unsolicited contact outside Upwork
Page options
jr-translation
Community Member

Unsolicited contact outside Upwork

There was a freelancer in the forum a few days ago who makes falls claims about his qualification, was reported and his profile flagged.
This person just reached out in Linked In. Is this on top of his obvious lies in his profile enough to get him suspended?

7 REPLIES 7
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Let's hope so. 

petra_r
Community Member

Jennifer R wrote:

Is this on top of his obvious lies in his profile enough to get him suspended?

It should be....

Isn't he suspended yet? 

Is that the same one who also likely isn't where he says he is? There were a few recently... As so often, "in Canada"...

Jennifer R wrote:

This person just reached out in Linked In. 

Saying what?

Petra R wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

Is this on top of his obvious lies in his profile enough to get him suspended?

It should be....

Isn't he suspended yet? 

Is that the same one who also likely isn't where he says he is? There were a few recently... As so often, "in Canada"...

The one claiming to be "a Bengali native speaker, born and educated in German" with all kinds of screenshots from another platform.

Petra R wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

This person just reached out in Linked In. 

Saying what?

Since he posted it in public it should be fine share, right:
"Hi 👋 Jennifer how are you doing 😊 I am onik I am from Bangladesh. I am a freelancer translation project manager. Can you help me I need a project."

Jennifer R wrote:

The one claiming to be "a Bengali native speaker, born and educated in German" with all kinds of screenshots from another platform.

I must have missed that one.  So many...

Petra R wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

I must have missed that one.  So many...

Oh that was a good one! In his portfolio he had some random screenshots of reviews, unclear from which platform, referencing other names than his own. Completely random and not related to anything. And that was his portfolio. No work examples, just other people's reviews. 

Why that would convince people to hire him remains a mystery. 

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jennifer,

Could you please share the details with me via PM so that I can investigate it further? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Here is what Upwork said about it when they made the rule:

We are clarifying permissible modes of communication between individuals on our site to reduce unwelcome off-platform solicitation.

We want to be clear that professionals and clients cannot make unsolicited contact off of the Upwork platform. While often well-intentioned, any type of outreach that bypasses our communication tools and safeguards without an explicit invitation from the other party can be perceived as unwelcome and a violation of privacy. Going forward, users who are found to be violating the privacy of other users in this way will be removed from using our service further.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members