🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: What is up with clients' job titles?
Page options
jessicasimko
Community Member

What is up with clients' job titles?

I have now received 2 job invites, from 2 different people, where the title of the job is exactly what I wrote next to my name on my freelancer profile. I have 2 different things in my job title/what i do, and one of them doesn't apply to these jobs so I am wondering if this is a new thing now for job invites  - although it doesn't make sense if it is. This has never happened before in over 5 years. The first time it happened, I thought it was a fluke and the client must have copied it to his job post. This was yesterday. But today I have another one from a different client with a job titled with the exact wording on my profile page. It's not a huge issue if it's a fluke but most of my jobs are invites and if it keeps happening... and ...if I take these jobs, I don't want my profile page (feedback section) to be filled up with feedback from jobs with all the same job title that matches the title under my name on my own page. Something seems really off with that.... please advise. 

51 REPLIES 51
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Jessica,

We frequently try out new features -- both big and small -- by conducting testing with a small group of users. What you're seeing is related to one of the tests we're running to streamline the invite process. Often times when new clients come to Upwork they start by looking through search to find a freelancer that fits their needs, what they struggle with is the job post part- what skills are needed etc. So as part of this test, when inviting a freelancer and the client is prompted to create a job, some fields of the post will be pre-filled with the information from the profile of the freelancer they are inviting. They are still able to customize all the fields.

In order to not impact or skew test results, we typically try not to share details about tests while they are ongoing. While I may not be able to address all your questions about this test, I will certainly forward feedback you shared in your post to the team.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Jessica,

We frequently try out new features -- both big and small -- by conducting testing with a small group of users. What you're seeing is related to one of the tests we're running to streamline the invite process. Often times when new clients come to Upwork they start by looking through search to find a freelancer that fits their needs, what they struggle with is the job post part- what skills are needed etc. So as part of this test, when inviting a freelancer and the client is prompted to create a job, some fields of the post will be pre-filled with the information from the profile of the freelancer they are inviting. They are still able to customize all the fields.

In order to not impact or skew test results, we typically try not to share details about tests while they are ongoing. While I may not be able to address all your questions about this test, I will certainly forward feedback you shared in your post to the team.

Thanks, I just received a third one like this. Should I complete all 3 of these jobs, and possibly more of them, just imagine what my profile page will look like with 3+ jobs on there having my job title as the title of the job ... three or more IDENTICAL job titles - I could eventually have a a whole page of them. This doesn't look authentic at all and people will not have a good idea of what I actually did for these clients. 

Also, I am concerned that if the client invites more than just me to the job, and I don't take it or get it, that the job will be posted on OTHER freelancers' profiles (feedback section) with my job title?! 

Hi Jessica,

This is a test so we are frequently updating and adjusting the experience based off the feedback we have heard and the analytics we are reviewing on the backend. Thanks for coming to the Community to share your feedback and concerns. We have plans that will address the job titles, and your raised concerns with it, in the upcoming period.

Kosta A wrote:

Hi Jessica,

This is a test so we are frequently updating and adjusting the experience based off the feedback we have heard and the analytics we are reviewing on the backend. Thanks for coming to the Community to share your feedback and concerns. We have plans that will address the job titles, and your raised concerns with it, in the upcoming period.

Thanks! Please make it stop. I have 4 with the same job title now and I can't immediately tell the difference between these jobs. I get invites with the same job title and am not sure if it's new or something I already answered. Notifcations in email come with the job title in it and they are all the same so I immediately don't know which job it is.  I need for them to be different like they were before. I can't work on multiple jobs like this all with the same job title. I do a lot of short term jobs - not long term jobs-  so soon they will all have the same job title because all my jobs are by invite.

Also, the job titles don't represent the job itself. I have multiple things in my job title that they are using on their job post and most of the clients only request parts of what I do.  I don't want clients seeing prices on my profile page that represent so much more work than I actually did for them or clients will constantly be asking for that much work for a lower price. Please have job titles represent the actual JOB.

Kosta A wrote:

Hi Jessica,

Meanwhile, thanks for the résumé stain!

You know, it's the norm for dev work to be implemented and tested on a separate system before going live with it, and to seek user feedback at appropriate points. But no, Upwork has to do all its fiddling on the production system, with or without announcement, with or without opt-in, with or without any thought to consequences on the working professionals who are your stock in trade.

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Kosta A wrote:

Hi Jessica,

Meanwhile, thanks for the résumé stain!

You know, it's the norm for dev work to be implemented and tested on a separate system before going live with it, and to seek user feedback at appropriate points. But no, Upwork has to do all its fiddling on the production system, with or without announcement, with or without opt-in, with or without any thought to consequences on the working professionals who are your stock in trade.

Also, I really don't like Upwork plagiarizing from my profile to create job posts for other freelancers. I spent a lot of time deciding on the title of my profile and the information/content within it.   It really pisses me off that a competitor may now be using content from MY profile as the description of their job, which then populates their jobs list.  

Also, I really don't like Upwork plagiarizing from my profile to create job posts for other freelancers. I spent a lot of time deciding on the title of my profile and the information/content within it.   It really pisses me off that a competitor may now be using content from MY profile as the description of their job, which then populates their jobs list.  

Exactly! my content from MY profile should never be someone else's job title where any person could get hired for the job. This has to STOP.

Kosta A wrote:

Hi Jessica,

I'm confused. Why would creating a job post with the title from my profile be useful? I seriously thought it was some guy who didn't speak english or didn't understand the system inviting me so I just killed the invite. I'm genuinely curious how this would help sales at all.

Jennifer M wrote:

Kosta A wrote:

Hi Jessica,

I'm confused. Why would creating a job post with the title from my profile be useful? I seriously thought it was some guy who didn't speak english or didn't understand the system inviting me so I just killed the invite. I'm genuinely curious how this would help sales at all.

Same here. I received 2 of them a few days ago and immediately declined -the reason for declining being "SPAM". LOL.

Kosta A wrote:

This is a test ...

This is a bannable offense if it was conducted by anyone else.

Stop the test. Write your own content.

Steven E. L wrote:

Kosta A wrote:

This is a test ...

Seriously, of all the things Upwork has done, this is pissing me off the most. We work hard to differentiate ourselves. I am an expert level grant writer - my clients WIN money when they work with me, and while I don't "guarantee"  it, it's basically a guarantee. I know how to do this, it is the ONLY thing I do, and I've worked for 16+ years building relationships with funding agencies across the US to be able to benefit my clients.  I'm supportive of newbies in this field, and I mentor others in my free time, but I am NOT for any other grant writing using language I have developed to describe MY specialized skillset.  

This is on par with identity fraud, IMO. They usually at least make plagiarists change their profile when they steal our language, and now Upwork is doing it for them.  I have no problem asking a client to change a job title as I am also a client and I can walk them through doing it, but in no way should they be able to take my profile and turn it into a job post.  

If anything, just let them take the specific skill they need and turn that into the job title. For example, "Graphic designer"  or  "grant writer"  or "editor" INSTEAD of our profile headlines. This is just a new level of ignorance from Upwork.  

wrote:

Steven E. L wrote:

Kosta A wrote:

This is a test ...

Seriously, of all the things Upwork has done, this is pissing me off the most. We work hard to differentiate ourselves. I am an expert level grant writer - my clients WIN money when they work with me, and while I don't "guarantee"  it, it's basically a guarantee. I know how to do this, it is the ONLY thing I do, and I've worked for 16+ years building relationships with funding agencies across the US to be able to benefit my clients.  I'm supportive of newbies in this field, and I mentor others in my free time, but I am NOT for any other grant writing using language I have developed to describe MY specialized skillset.  

This is on par with identity fraud, IMO. They usually at least make plagiarists change their profile when they steal our language, and now Upwork is doing it for them.  I have no problem asking a client to change a job title as I am also a client and I can walk them through doing it, but in no way should they be able to take my profile and turn it into a job post.  

If anything, just let them take the specific skill they need and turn that into the job title. For example, "Graphic designer"  or  "grant writer"  or "editor" INSTEAD of our profile headlines. This is just a new level of ignorance from Upwork.  

ALSO.. consider the fact that YOU might accept and complete a job with ANOTHER freelancer's job title that will show up on YOUR profile.  

This makes me sick.

Occasionally I sit back and imagine the discussions and thought processes that (presumably) preceeded something Upwork does and wonder how rational professionals sitting around a table could all have looked up all bright eyed and excited and exclaimed in unison, "That's a GREAT idea"

Petra R wrote:

Occasionally I sit back and imagine the discussions and thought processes that (presumably) preceeded something Upwork does and wonder how rational professionals sitting around a table could all have looked up all bright eyed and excited and exclaimed in unison, "That's a GREAT idea"

omg, I think the same thing... OFTEN.   I mean in essence, they must have all sat around a table and decided that it's just too hard for clients to simply describe their job so they are allowing them to find a freeelancer's profile and populate their job post with the freelancer's profile content to make it easier for them - and then invite all sorts of freelancers to this job that contains the profile content of ONE freelancer. 

This is plagiarism, plain and simple. 

Kosta A wrote:

We have plans that will address the job titles, and your raised concerns with it, in the upcoming period.

Instead of whatever this imaginary period is ... how's 'bout NOW. Of course, now it's Friday. Oops .. come Monday next week everyone's finely crafted, personalized information will be SPAMMED all over the internet.

Utterly disgusting and shameful.

Kosta A wrote:

Hi Jessica,

Why on earth does Upwork keep running these tests without informing us?? These so-called tests have the potential to hugely impact our work and the way we freelance via Upwork.

Seriously, what is wrong with you guys? It is so sneaky and so infuriating whenever one of us finds out about it and comes to the forums to post about it.

And what sort of test is this? Frankly, I wouldn't want to work with a client who doens't know what words to put in the job post's title.

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Jessica,

We frequently try out new features -- both big and small -- by conducting testing with a small group of users. What you're seeing is related to one of the tests we're running to streamline the invite process.

Now Upwork is engaging in blatant, outright plagiarism?

Steal our reports.

Steal our means of communication.
Steal our personal profile information.

What could possibly be on the Event Horizon; a clone army to steal our work?

lysis10
Community Member

Jessica S wrote:

I have now received 2 job invites, from 2 different people, where the title of the job is exactly what I wrote next to my name on my freelancer profile. I have 2 different things in my job title/what i do, and one of them doesn't apply to these jobs so I am wondering if this is a new thing now for job invites  - although it doesn't make sense if it is. This has never happened before in over 5 years. The first time it happened, I thought it was a fluke and the client must have copied it to his job post. This was yesterday. But today I have another one from a different client with a job titled with the exact wording on my profile page. It's not a huge issue if it's a fluke but most of my jobs are invites and if it keeps happening... and ...if I take these jobs, I don't want my profile page (feedback section) to be filled up with feedback from jobs with all the same job title that matches the title under my name on my own page. Something seems really off with that.... please advise. 

ha! I got one of those! I must have declined it I think.

Jennifer M wrote:

Jessica S wrote:

ha! I got one of those! I must have declined it I think.

This is part of the problem.. you declined it. Now, someone else may get hired for it and when it appears on that freelancer's profile page as a completed job with feedback, it will have YOUR job title on THEIR page. ugh....

I am not going to work with these 4 clients who invited me with my job title simply because I don't want my profile page having 4 identical job titles on it representiing a LOT more work than I did for them with a price attached to it. That's the other part of the problem.  And now going back to the first problem, FOUR freelancers may have my job title on THEIR page when the job is completed should they hire someone else. 

Upwork, please remove me from this beta test!!

jessicasimko
Community Member

As an update to this, I let a job that I was invited to, with MY job title as the title of the job, sit since yesterday because I don't really want to do it since the job doesn't reflect all of what my job title says it is. I checked it this morning and there is ONE HIRE on the job and it isn't me.

So Upwork, will this newly hired freelancer now have MY job title on THEIR profile page when the job is completed? Please no...  

Jessica S wrote:

As an update to this, I let a job that I was invited to, with MY job title as the title of the job, sit since yesterday because I don't really want to do it since the job doesn't reflect all of what my job title says it is. I checked it this morning and there is ONE HIRE on the job and it isn't me.

So Upwork, will this newly hired freelancer now have MY job title on THEIR profile page when the job is completed? Please no...  

This whole thing is incredibly stupid on UW's part, for all the reasons you and others have pointed out. In the meantime, if any of these jobs were good, why not accept the interview and ask the client to change the job title when they set up the contract? If they cooperate, at least you'd not be forfeiting jobs and income because of this stupid test.

Phyllis G wrote:

Jessica S wrote:

This whole thing is incredibly stupid on UW's part, for all the reasons you and others have pointed out. In the meantime, if any of these jobs were good, why not accept the interview and ask the client to change the job title when they set up the contract? If they cooperate, at least you'd not be forfeiting jobs and income because of this stupid test.

I didn't know they could change the title without creating a new job? And even if they can how do I explain that without sounding like an idiot?  "Um, before you send over the job offer, can you change the title of this job to reflect what it actually is? See, once the job is completed, clients will see it on my profile page with a price attached to it, and since I am not doing all the work that is in the title of this job, they may think they can get me to do a similar job at the same rate (this happens often.. that clients point to jobs that I did that they think cost less) and I would have to explain to them that I didn't do all that work - that Upwork included me in a beta test for a supposed "new feature" and automatically populated job posts with my job title and it doesn't represent the actual job."  

How else do I explain it? They have no idea why it matters to me.  I should mention though.. I am lucky in that I get tons of invites and can sort of pick and choose who I work with...

Jessica S wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

Jessica S wrote:

I didn't know they could change the title without creating a new job? And even if they can how do I explain that without sounding like an idiot?  "Um, before you send over the job offer, can you change the title of this job to reflect what it actually is? See, once the job is completed, clients will see it on my profile page with a price attached to it, and since I am not doing all the work that is in the title of this job, they may think they can get me to do a similar job at the same rate (this happens often.. that clients point to jobs that I did that they think cost less) and I would have to explain to them that I didn't do all that work - that Upwork included me in a beta test for a supposed "new feature" and automatically populated job posts with my job title and it doesn't represent the actual job."  

How else do I explain it? They have no idea why it matters to me.  I should mention though.. I am lucky in that I get tons of invites and can sort of pick and choose who I work with...

I don't know with certainty that they can change the title but in your shoes, I would make it my business to find out. If they could, then I would simply say something like, "This may seem like an odd request: would you be willing to change this job title when you set up the contract, to [insert accurate title]? UW is running a test right now where a client can pull a job title from the profile of the FL they are inviting. Now, every job I am invited to has the identical title. I can't change the titles, so it's going to create a big headache for me in managing projects, timelines, and deliverables."

I don't get "tons" of viable invites, so it would be worth it to me to salvage good ones. I can see how it might not be, for you.

I find this to be absolutely bizarre. I'm all in favour of making things easier for clients, but seriously, how difficult is it to come up with a descriptive job title? Is this seriously a problem that needs to be addressed? I wouldn't want to work with any client who's that lazy, or incapable of typing three or four words to say what they need. I will be declining any such invitations that I receive.

Echoing the outrage at this latest "let's **Edited for Community Guidelines** freelancers" move from Upwork.  Does absolutely NO ONE there think things through?

At the bare minimum ths latest stunt involves:

Plagiarism

Breaking YOUR own ToS

Wendy C wrote:

Plagiarism

Breaking YOUR own ToS

I think you'll find that it's perfectly fine with the ToS when checking the fine print...

That doesnt make it any less of a hare-brained idea.

First, thank you for sharing your concerns and feedback. We have paused this test as we work on making changes based on the information that was shared here. Our goal is to improve the way a client can reach out to you all, the professional talent on Upwork, and create an easier flow for them to post jobs so that you get more opportunities.
In future iterations, it would be helpful for me to better understand how you all select job posts in the marketplace- what is important to you? What qualities do you look for in a job post or invite?

Kosta A wrote:

We have paused this test as we work on making changes based on the information that was shared here.

Thank gawd.

Kosta A wrote:

Our goal is to improve the way a client can reach out to you all, the professional talent on Upwork, and create an easier flow for them to post jobs so that you get more opportunities.

And the best solution Uwpork could come with was plagiarism and copyright infringement. For realz?! This is how a company with $170mm in IPO funding is managed?

Utterly ...

breathtakingly ...

Stunning.

Kosta A wrote:

First, thank you for sharing your concerns and feedback. We have paused this test as we work on making changes based on the information that was shared here. Our goal is to improve the way a client can reach out to you all, the professional talent on Upwork, and create an easier flow for them to post jobs so that you get more opportunities.
In future iterations, it would be helpful for me to better understand how you all select job posts in the marketplace- what is important to you? What qualities do you look for in a job post or invite?

Thank you for taking action on this!!  Paused it as of when? I passed up a job titled with somone else's job title just a day or two ago because should I have taken it, the presence of that job title on my profile doesn't fit me - it has experience in it that is not mine -  nor does it fit the job and price of the job and I don't want to confuse clients who use my page and feedback to hire ME.  And I couldn't come up with a professional way to ask them to create an entirely different job with a different job title without sounding like a crazy person and risk losing stars at the end because I was too "complicated" at the outset. 

@jessicasimko wrote:

... And I couldn't come up with a professional way to ask them to create an entirely different job with a different job title without sounding like a crazy person 

Oh come now. What relevance has that do with this platform of recent?

Steven E. L wrote:

@jessicasimko wrote:

... And I couldn't come up with a professional way to ask them to create an entirely different job with a different job title without sounding like a crazy person 

Oh come now. What relevance has that do with this platform of recent?  

haha.  The thing with this is...  I am not seeing where in the old way, where clients created their own simple title of their job (that accuratley describes the work), was a problem for....  anyone? 

Kosta A wrote:

Realistic budget and expectations
No "answer these 5 questions" or "include these magic words in your response" demands
The niche or industry of the client. I don't want to or lack the knowledge to write for certain industries and don't want to waste time applying to find out what type of business the client represents, [This request is probably the easiest for clients to implement.]

firescue17
Community Member

You're completely disregarding grammar, spelling, thinking. Common Jessica!! It's soooooooo much easy to copy and paste, I mean scratch that, have the blessed platform autopopulate someone's copy and paste title automatically. Why bother?! Clients are already paying $850 per month for phone privileges once thier homework and chores are done.

moonraker
Community Member

No "answer these 5 questions" 

Seconded.

Kosta A wrote:

Product Manager

With more than 10 years of experience in the IT industry, I have worked on fast paced and dynamic projects in both, execution and management role. My strong side is that I am detailed oriented, with deep understanding how everything is interconnected on the project and where improvements can be made, or how it is best to utilize the project's resources. I have great record of successful projects which have lasted over 2 years with continuous customer satisfaction and great team atmosphere.

The above was copied (blatantly plagiarised) from your profile. 

What feelings would you have if any of it was used by other freelancers?

You clearly do know how to ab(use) the project's resources!

A few months back I reported over 50 new FL accounts who had blatantly copied content, job titles and even feedback from other successful FLs.

Seeing Upwork actually employ one of the FLs on it's own site to do a similar thing is just pukeworthy!

Say sorry, don't do it again, and use a test environment.  If one doesn't exist, Upwork can simply employ more FLs to build one with dummy data.  It's really uncool to do testing in a live environment.

I'm guessing you know the people behind the DO NOT APPLY QA jobs which are taking up most of my job feed the past few weeks.  Please let them know our feelings, our eyes shouldn't have to put up with it.  Not now.  Not ever.

Kosta A wrote:

Why don't you read the PLETHORA of threads in this very forum about how to pick the best jobs to apply to? 

We look for job posts that are specific to our field (our headlines are statements we crafted about ourselves, they are not position titles or job titles). 

The job title should give me an idea of what they want me to do:

Need grant writer for SBIR application

Looking for grant writer for nonprofit veterans organization

Looking for help editing a grant narrative

And the job description should give me some specifics about the actual task or work they need completed and the deadline. 

In another realm:

Need graphic designer for print brochure

Looking for wordpress expert to edit a theme

Need SQL expert for help with a database

I could be wrong but I think any of those post titles would get the initial attention needed. Then the client needs to expound upon details in the actual post - details of the task or work, parameters, deliverables, deadline. 

This is not rocket science.  Oh wait:

Looking for rocket scientist to help with Upwork job posting test...

There. 

Kosta A wrote:

1. It's work I do.
    But not my marketing description of my services, let alone the marketing description of anyone else's services: A description of clients' needs for specific jobs.
  2. It pays well.
  3. The prospect demonstrates legitimacy by expressing reasonable and ethical expectations within our respective professional fields.

Hint: Speed is not a virtue in creating a post or invite I find attractive. Ease comes from the client knowing their business.

Kosta A wrote:

Kosta, why don't you guys talk to us BEFORE introducing new stuff. Let's have an area on the forum where  Upwork employees like yourself can present new ideas and get a free peer review on whether that would work.

This forum could be a goldmine for Upwork, it is full of some of the brightest, most experienced, most successful freelancers, who have, collectively, made Upwork Millions. We could have told you right off the bat why this wasn't going to be a good idea.

Why don't you **UTILIZE** the amazing resources that are only a forum post away?

Why do we have to throw tantrums and explain to Upwork how Upwork works after ridiculous changes have been made that were never communicated to us (I am referring to the debacle with the 14 day wait for feedback removal which was introduced because of an issue that didn't exist in the first place ) or damaging changes such as hiding our previous rates from clients?

It's perfectly OK that you guys don't have a clue how Upwork works from a typical user's perspective. You can't know. But because you can't know, you need to start to ask those who DO know. Those who use the site day in and day out.

We WANT to help.

Why don't you LET us?

Petra R wrote:

Kosta A wrote:

Kosta, why don't you guys talk to us BEFORE introducing new stuff. Let's have an area on the forum where  Upwork employees like yourself can present new ideas and get a free peer review on whether that would work.

This forum could be a goldmine for Upwork, it is full of some of the brightest, most experienced, most successful freelancers, who have, collectively, made Upwork Millions. We could have told you right off the bat why this wasn't going to be a good idea.

Why don't you **UTILIZE** the amazing resources that are only a forum post away?

Why do we have to throw tantrums and explain to Upwork how Upwork works after ridiculous changes have been made that were never communicated to us (I am referring to the debacle with the 14 day wait for feedback removal which was introduced because of an issue that didn't exist in the first place ) or damaging changes such as hiding our previous rates from clients?

It's perfectly OK that you guys don't have a clue how Upwork works from a typical user's perspective. You can't know. But because you can't know, you need to start to ask those who DO know. Those who use the site day in and day out.

We WANT to help.

Why don't you LET us?

yes.. THIS.  Kudos X1000!!   

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members