Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I don't Upwork anymore

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Brian C Member Since: Oct 27, 2019
11 of 27

"It has this to do with the topic. Your words - "Well, the problem is not the client. It's the system. It wont even let me leave feedback on that client anymore." - I am explaining how the system is designed that way. It is not a flaw. "

Again, that was reply to Mike K.  Go quote what Mike K wrote.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
12 of 27

Brian C wrote:

The overall review from this client still showed 4 stars as attached and I did not realize he left 2 star rating for communication until later. 

Again, that's on you. The information was always available to you. It's not upwork's fault that you don't know how it works. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
13 of 27

Also, I am not 100% certain this client is the reason for 80% JSS. Because of the mysterious "Private Feedback" I don't know exactly who was secretly unhappy with my work. Maybe this client left me very good "Private Feedback"??? I hope you get my sarcasm here. I leave a bad feedback for crappy product on Amazon. Seller has chance to defend themselves with a reply which everyone can see.  I don't leave "secret" feedback.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
14 of 27

Hi Brian, 

I have responded to your post here that seems to have a similar theme to this thread. Other than what I have shared on my other post, please note that when a contract has ended, you should have received an email noting that the contract has ended, which encourages you to leave feedback for the client. If this isn't the case for you, you can update your notification settings on you Notification Settings page (Setttings > Notification Settings) to adjust your notification settings accordingly. 

While I cannot identify which contracts exactly affected your Job Success score, but we recommend that you read up on this help article for more information on how your score is calculated, and this help article for more information on what factors may have affected your score. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
15 of 27

"While I cannot identify which contracts exactly affected your Job Success score"  Wow really???  Neither can I.  Good to know no one knows!!!  Everything else you said is irrelevant to my post.  Please try to understand what I'm saying here if you're going to reply.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 27

Brian C wrote:

"While I cannot identify which contracts exactly affected your Job Success score"  Wow really???  Neither can I.  Good to know no one knows!!!  Everything else you said is irrelevant to my post.  Please try to understand what I'm saying here if you're going to reply.

Well, it is becoming quite clear why 2 of your 6 clients marked you down for communication... Maybe work on those soft skills a bit?

What she meant is that she is not allowed to tell you, but it is perfectly obvious - the one with the really poor feedback had the main effect, the rest comes from the other contract where you were marked down.

I've never understood why people feel the need to make a song and dance over their decision not to use a website anymore.

You don't like it here and can't win any contracts? OK then. Close your acount and go elsewhere. Problem solved. No door-slamming needed.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
17 of 27

"Well, it is becoming quite clear why 2 of your 6 clients marked you down for communication..."

Exactly, the people with communication issue criticizes me for communication.

And you're not my client.  I don't need to be soft.  Which you're not either.  At least you know who marked me down!

"What she meant is that she is not allowed to tell you,"

That SWOOSH sound is the point **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
18 of 27

Thank you Moderator for editing my inappropriate comment.  Instead of doing it secretely.  I know exactly what I did wrong.  Hope you weren't pressured to make that edit.  But don't you think it'd be great if there was private feedback on other users on this forum?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
19 of 27

Brian C wrote:

Also, I am not 100% certain this client is the reason for 80% JSS.

Are you really not 100% certain?

You have 6 completed contracts since 2016. The oldest one is outside the 2 year calculation window, so that leaves 5 in the past 24 months. 4 have good feedback, one has bad feedback. So I'd say it's pretty obvious where the culprit lies... 4 out of 5 makes 80%

Just a few more successfully completed contracts could push you up to 90%. Also, because that contract closed in June, it will fall out of your 6 month calculation window in December, so provided you have a few more contracts end successfully by them, it won't even count anymore.

The thing is, because you've had so few contracts, each one has a massive effect, but the flip side of that is that although one contract can drop you dramatically, one contract can also improve it significantly.

If I were you (and I appreciate that I'm not) I would do a few smaller, not too difficult contracts you can knock out of the park, and watch the way you communicate with clients.  I get that clients can drive you mad, but at the end of the day a customer-centric attitude is paramount when you run a business selling services to clients.

You can fix this pretty easily (if you want to, that is.)

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
20 of 27

"I would do a few smaller, not too difficult contracts you can knock out of the park, and watch the way you communicate with clients."

I am also glad that you're not me.  Would you call that a solution or a punishment?

"customer-centric attitude is paramount when you run a business selling services to clients.:

I know that better than anyone.  I run a successful business and this is just a side thing.  But how can you be customer-centric if you don't have access to the feedback?  That is the whole point of this thread.  Not whether I'm likeable.  I know I am an ass and I'm direct.  But that's not what we're talking about here are we.  We're talking about the system.  Having someone criticize you without knowledge and let it effect your ability to work.

"You have 6 completed contracts since 2016. The oldest one is outside the 2 year calculation window, so that leaves 5 in the past 24 months. 4 have good feedback, one has bad feedback. So I'd say it's pretty obvious where the culprit lies... 4 out of 5 makes 80%"

That's not 100% LMAO.  Not with the "PRIVATE" Feedback.  Are you 100% certain others with 5 star didn't give me low "PRIVATE" feedback?  Even the negative one averages to 4 star.  That's 24 star out of 25.  That's still 96%.  So... are you still 100% sure?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS