Did you mean: 

blackmail? and what should I do.

jojomo
Community Leader
Joëlle O Member Since: Jan 25, 2013
1 of 19

Hey everyone!

Hope you are all staying safe!

Anyway, I have a quick question. I'm top rated with 100% JSS and have recently been hired to design a quick PDF for a client. We agreed on a $75 fixed rate contract. He sent me the offer and I accepted and I turned it around that same day. This is what he sent me in return:

"Hi Joëlle, thanks for the PDF. Your work was great, but very similar to what the other designer submitted.
Her hourly rate is much lower and it fits our budget better.
Is it fair for you if I pay you $40 for what you've submitted to me and I can leave you a 5 star review?"

Isn't that against TOS and considered blackmail? How would you handle this?

I didn't want to do anything rash but should he be reported?

Thanks!

Joëlle

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 19

You're top rated and this is exactly what the perk is for. Tell him to pay up or it goes into dispute. His rating won't matter because you can use the perk to remove it.

jojomo
Community Leader
Joëlle O Member Since: Jan 25, 2013
3 of 19

Yeah I know I can use that perk but I feel like this is completely dishonest and he's using people. I don't want him to do this to someone else.

By the way, do you know how many times I can use that perk (once every 6 months or more?). Ive never had to use it.

lysis10
Community Guru
4 of 19

Joëlle O wrote:

Yeah I know I can use that perk but I feel like this is completely dishonest and he's using people. I don't want him to do this to someone else.

By the way, do you know how many times I can use that perk (once every 6 months or more?). Ive never had to use it.

I wouldn't worry about others. They can handle it how they want to.

You can use the perk every 3 months and 10 contracts. 

dzadza
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
5 of 19

Jennifer M wrote:

You're top rated and this is exactly what the perk is for. Tell him to pay up or it goes into dispute. His rating won't matter because you can use the perk to remove it.

how about his private rating? if he gives her (let's say) 3 on recommendation scale - she will no longer have 100% jss (I think). His public feedback will be removed - not sure about the private one... That's how UW managed to keep freelancers hostage to stupid private feedback...

lysis10
Community Guru
6 of 19

Sanja D wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

how about his private rating? if he gives her (let's say) 3 on recommendation scale - she will no longer have 100% jss (I think). His public feedback will be removed - not sure about the private one... That's how UW managed to keep freelancers hostage to stupid private feedback...

The perk removes private feedback, so it's like it never happened. 🙂 AND you get some money out of it. w00t

dzadza
Community Guru
7 of 19

Jennifer M wrote:

The perk removes private feedback, so it's like it never happened. 🙂 AND you get some money out of it. w00t

REALLY?
Stupid me - well, that sounds great! I thought that she'll be able to remove only public feedback -  great news! Well - not really news - but it's news to me, lol

lysis10
Community Guru
8 of 19

Sanja D wrote:

REALLY?
Stupid me - well, that sounds great! I thought that she'll be able to remove only public feedback -  great news! Well - not really news - but it's news to me, lol

It's a beautiful thing lemme tell you, so clients can threaten, blackmail whatever it doesn't matter. They are quick about it too so it gets removed before it's ever factored into JSS or is seen on your profile if you do it right away.

dzadza
Community Guru
9 of 19

Jennifer M wrote:

Sanja D wrote:

REALLY?

It's a beautiful thing lemme tell you, so clients can threaten, blackmail whatever it doesn't matter. They are quick about it too so it gets removed before it's ever factored into JSS or is seen on your profile if you do it right away.

Heavenly 😉
Thanks so much for giving me one reason to like UW (still not happy about specialized profiles, though)

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 19

Joëlle O wrote:

"Hi Joëlle, thanks for the PDF. Your work was great, but very similar to what the other designer submitted.
Her hourly rate is much lower and it fits our budget better.
Is it fair for you if I pay you $40 for what you've submitted to me and I can leave you a 5 star review?"

That's ridiculous. What does the hourly rate have to do with a fixed rate contract for a mutually agreed amount?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS