🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » chargeback
Page options
dbe36e0c
Community Member

chargeback

Hi I got a chargeback for a contract which was of 500$ and it is a fact that I got only 400$ from that and 100$ were taken by upwork as fee and now am willing to pay 400$ but upwork team is saying that you will be able to pay when you have 500$ how is it possible that I got 400$ from that amount kindly provide me justice.

4 REPLIES 4
AndreaG

Hi Mehtab,

I'm sorry to hear about this, this is a difficult situation and I understand your frustration. I checked and can see you were able to post this question to the team via support ticket. Please allow some time for them to review and they will be able to assist you further as they are the experts on this topic. 

~Andrea
Upwork

Did you just copy and paste this? I see no Rahul on this thread.

9c8f0515
Community Member

Lots of scammer chargebacks lately it seems. Seeing a lot of posts. Good luck. 

the-right-writer
Community Member

Unfortunately, with chargebacks, there is precious little justice. The only way Upwork will pay anything to the freelancers is if the hours are automatically tracked. Even then, all of those hours may not be covered.

There are two kinds of chargebacks: the thieves and the clients who want free work. The client is suspended after a chargeback, but since they aren't using their real names, they just pick another alias and do it all over again with another stolen card.

It is likely you are going to have to pay the full amount back because the card owner wants and should have their money. That leaves the freelancer with nothing or out even more money. Until financial and/or legal pressure is applied to the banks and businesses, nothing will change. All freelancers can do is investigate clients and protect themselves. It is still not enough in some cases. However, the majority of freelancers who are scammed violate the Terms of Service.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members