🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Amazon Product review
Page options
4fb3c5b9
Community Member

Amazon Product review

Hello,
I am pretty new here, and I have already had some challenges. I am almost certain, my first contract was just someone looking for free work. I, however, was unable to deliver to him the seven articles he requested, on time, (1 day). So when he didn't pay me I was bummed but I let it go.
Well I am trying to let it go. It really bothered me because he knew this was my first job, and he did not make it clear to me how many papers I would be writing. He made it seem like he was flexible, and I just needed to communicate with him.
However, when it came down to it, he offered no support, at all. He did not respond to me until four or five hours after I communicated to him, I was not going to make deadline. I explained- in multiple emails, I would continue to write. I also made it clear I had very real concerns. When he finally did write me back, he encouraged me to write until deadline, and turn in what I had. Well I finished writing the third paper right at deadline. I wrote all the way up to deadline so I was turning in a complete paper. I messaged him at deadline and told him it was done. I would turn it in within 10 minutes. I had to run it through an editor. It would have been worthless had I not edited it. I am a pretty good writer, but I need assistance in the editing department.
He answered just as I was getting ready to turn, in what I had completed. His response was that he didn't want it because it was late.
I get... I dropped the ball, but I feel as if he did it on purpose.
He gave me a word count of around 3500 words. I was confident I could meet the requirements. I did not know it would be a bunch of separate papers.
I don't know if anyone else agrees, but I found, writing seven 400 to 450 word papers was much more time consuming than just writing one 3500 word paper.
So he got my first paper for free, and the other two were just a waist of my time. He canceled the contract and requested a refund. I gave it to him with hopes he wouldn't ruin the reputation, I hadn't even started to form yet.
Ok so no harm no foul. Lesson learned. Ask questions. Got it. That's why Im here now.

I had decided Upwork wasn't going to be a good fit for me, and then I I got my current contract. It is a great fit. My boss is helpful. He explains everything, and makes sure we are on the same page. I am so impressed with the way things are going, I decided to put myself back out there, to get another client.
Well I just got a contract, but I want to make sure it is legit, and I won't be taken advantage of. It is for an Amazon product review. They want me to purchase the product as the first milestone. They will then pay me back the exact amount, which means I will still be short $2.50 because I have to pay Upwork. The next milestone is supposed to be the product description.
Is this a common thing? Is this allowed?
I am sorry for the long post. I am just a little frustrated. I am especially sorry that I probably sound ignorant. However, you don't know, until you know. Here's the thing, I want to get clients, but I am getting more and more leery.
4 REPLIES 4
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

I'm pretty sure that paid reviews are against the Amazon Tos and hence, against Upwork's TOS.  I wouldn't even think about this job.

thank you for the info......

prestonhunter
Community Member

So after you do the work, you will have earned a grand total of negative $2.50?

Let's cut ties with this client and count this as a lesson learned.

Mary is correct that doing paid reviews for Amazon.com purchases is a violation of Amazon.com ToS and Upwork officially states that violating Amazon.com TOS is prohibited.

You could lose your Amazon.com account and be sanctioned by Upwork if caught doing this.

A client who asks you to buy products online and then says they will pay you back later is not looking out for you. They are using you in a scheme.

A real client who needs you to use materials to do your job will send those materials to your address and not ask you to pay for them.

The Amazon.com product review schemers can't send you the product directly because they need you to order with your own account in order to evade Amazon.com fraud detection algorithms. But this is all clearly explained as a violation of that site's rules.

Few companies are as energetic as Amazon when it comes to going after paid reviewers. They have sued thousands of paid reviewers.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I've escalte this report to the corect team for the review and the project has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS.

Make sure to check our Stay Safe series and learn more on how to work safe online:

If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths