🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Are questions in proposal or before starting ...
Page options
drsarah
Community Member

Are questions in proposal or before starting the contract?

Hello!
There is a little issue confusing me

Some clients post vague jobs, when I apply to such posting, I have many questions then, when should I ask these questions?

Should it be in the job proposal?

Or the job proposal is only about my strengths and sample of work, and I should wait when there is a contract offer and ask these questions?

Thanks!
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Should it be in the job proposal?"

Yes.

For one thing, it shows you are a thoughtful professional who is serious about the job.

It demonstrates you read the job post and didn't just copy-and-paste a canned cover letter.

re: "Or the job proposal is only about my strengths and sample of work, and I should wait when there is a contract offer and ask these questions?"

I recommend that you don't talk about yourself in the proposal. Don't share samples.

Let your portfolio and profile page speak for you about those topics.

Use your proposal to talk about what the client cares about.

I am the client.

I care about three main things:

- me

- my project

- how you will make my life better by working on my project 

That is what you should talk about when you apply to my job.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Should it be in the job proposal?"

Yes.

For one thing, it shows you are a thoughtful professional who is serious about the job.

It demonstrates you read the job post and didn't just copy-and-paste a canned cover letter.

re: "Or the job proposal is only about my strengths and sample of work, and I should wait when there is a contract offer and ask these questions?"

I recommend that you don't talk about yourself in the proposal. Don't share samples.

Let your portfolio and profile page speak for you about those topics.

Use your proposal to talk about what the client cares about.

I am the client.

I care about three main things:

- me

- my project

- how you will make my life better by working on my project 

That is what you should talk about when you apply to my job.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sarah, 

You are free to ask questions in your proposal. I want to think that when a freelancer asks the right questions about the project, it shows their knowledge and expertise about the project because they're asking the right questions. 

If you have the time, you may want to read up on these great resources here and here to help you write proposals that win jobs and the guides compiled here to help you get started on Upwork as a freelancer. 

~ Avery
Upwork
drsarah
Community Member

Thank you, Avery and Preston, for the amazing advice and insights!

Much appreciated

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths