🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Asking Mobile Number
Page options
gohilnirav
Community Member

Asking Mobile Number

Client is asking my mobile number before hiring me, should I share with him?

2 REPLIES 2
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nirav, 

If you are not comfortable giving away your number to the client, you have the option to decline the request. Communicating outside Upworkis allowed provided you and your client agreed to this arrangement, and have exchanged contact information.

We highly recommend o communicate with clients who respond to your proposals through the platform, and also to use Messages for communicating with prospective clients for security reasons, at least until you're hired for the job and can see a contract under your My Jobs tab.

~ Avery
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client is asking my mobile number before hiring me, should I share with him?"

You are never required to share contact information with clients, or with prospective clients. You make your own rules about that.

For example, you can tell the client:

"Yes, I provide my phone number to all of my clients who request it. I will send that to you after I am officially hired."

ALSO:

You don't ever need to provide your prime contact information with clients. You can provide them with a project-specific phone number. Such as a free phone number that you create using Google Voice.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths