🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client asking for Profile
Page options
dearpandabear
Community Member

Client asking for Profile

Good day. 

I am new to upwork, an d I would like to ask if it's normal that your client to ask you about your profile, such as Full name, age, gender, location and email address? I have read scams about them though I am not sure if it's really their company. 

Thank you. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ashokmehta999
Community Member

Hey Noelyn,

All the details that they're asking for are already on your profile except your email address. I do not recommend sending your email address unless they've hired you and need your email address for sending you files or access to tools.

Otherwise, it is certainly a scam. Stay careful.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ashokmehta999
Community Member

Hey Noelyn,

All the details that they're asking for are already on your profile except your email address. I do not recommend sending your email address unless they've hired you and need your email address for sending you files or access to tools.

Otherwise, it is certainly a scam. Stay careful.

1384ffc1
Community Member

Hi Ashok, I'm also new here and just got hired from a client. The website and social media they given seems legit, and they required me to send my email address to share a file via transfer web. So I shared it and clicked the file, but turns out the file count not be extracted and nothing happened. A bit afraid that it's a scam or a cyber attack. Please advice. Thank you

Upload it on Virustotal to scan for viruses.

1384ffc1
Community Member

Client send me this file and I extracted it, but the file in 'app' format. 
Is this a scam / phising? 

1384ffc1_0-1692437818660.png

It is likely a trojan that steals passwords and financial details from browsers.

1384ffc1
Community Member

Tried as your advice, and no virus detected. Is it legit? 

1384ffc1_1-1692437973605.png

If it says safe then it is probably a file extension issue. Either you do not have the needed app to open that file, or Windows is unable to identify which app to use to open it.

1384ffc1
Community Member

Thank you so much Ashok for helping me! God bless you! 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths