Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client not following upwork rules.

Ace Contributor
Paul S Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
11 of 33

condesending much?

going outside of upwork for communication is not new nor is it wrong, if you read my post properly you would see that going outside upwork to monitor your hours is very risky and the ONLY reasons that a client might ask you to do so is because they want to either try bypass the upwork fees OR they prefer to use a program they are familiar with and in which case you NEED to setup fixed payments based on those hours........

so darling please dont try and sit on me until you are speaking sense.

Community Leader
Prachi T Member Since: Nov 4, 2017
12 of 33

but to go outside of the platform for logging your hours....... i have done that before but it with a regular client and with a fixed payment arrangement, not an hourly one.

Okay. Thanks for the information.

Ace Contributor
Paul S Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
13 of 33

strange reply from a community leader....

let me make myself clear and the rules clear..... taking payments outside of upwork is strictly against the rules and i have never done this. monitoring your hours on 3rd party software is not against the rules and is sometimes the way some clients like to work out how much they need to pay you for your services via a fixed payment method **Edited for community guidelines**

Just dont leave yourself vulnerable with a new client doing this, from my experience this only happens after an initial project has been completed and the client wants to take the business relationship further.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 33

sigh.

Never mind

Deleted

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
15 of 33

Going back to the original discussion, I'm in the same corner with Petra and Jennifer on this one. It's good policy to give the client the benefit of the doubt, especially if the client's already been paying you, and point out that you cannot accept payment outside Upwork, before reporting the client to CS/Trust & Safety. That way, you'll spare yourself embarrassment and ill feelings, in case the client was suggesting off platform payment as a favor to you. 

Incidentally, I have a client who requires that I record hours with Toggl, because all her other contractors, who are not associated with Upwork, use Toggl. So I take the hours from Toggl, and transfer them to my work diary as manual time, and everyone's happy, even though it's a bit more work for me.

16 of 33

John K wrote:

Going back to the original discussion, I'm in the same corner with Petra and Jennifer on this one. It's good policy to give the client the benefit of the doubt, especially if the client's already been paying you, and point out that you cannot accept payment outside Upwork, before reporting the client to CS/Trust & Safety. That way, you'll spare yourself embarrassment and ill feelings, in case the client was suggesting off platform payment as a favor to you. 

Incidentally, I have a client who requires that I record hours with Toggl, because all her other contractors, who are not associated with Upwork, use Toggl. So I take the hours from Toggl, and transfer them to my work diary as manual time, and everyone's happy, even though it's a bit more work for me.

Mann, I'm in 3 slack channels, 3 Trellos, and one guy switched to a different system so I'm all "what is this I don't know what I'm doing." The things we do for moneysss .  Smiley Happy

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
17 of 33

Lucky me, besides Toggl, I only have 1 slack channel, I *think* 1 basecamp, 1 bitbucket, and 1 github. Cat Very Happy

18 of 33

But its ok to have these other channels of communication, its natural and its going to happen, so for the OP wandering if its ok, yes its ok, upwork asks your to keep everything in house because thats what they can monitor and have more control over but the reality is each client has their goto software that they rely on and are used to using, and it makes sense, these guys are busy running businesses and doing their jobs they dont hav time to be learning how new software works and dealing with the problems involved in them etc..

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
19 of 33

Paul S wrote:

But its ok to have these other channels of communication, its natural and its going to happen, so for the OP wandering if its ok, yes its ok,

Which part of "and do hourly payment " outside the platform did you fail to understand?

The client ended the contract and even states in their feedback that they are now working with (and obviously paying) the OP off the platform.

I very much doubt they have paid the opt-out fee. So if he now gets suspended from Upwork having taken your great advice that it's ok: Well Done....

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
20 of 33

lol that feedback. oh man hilarious.

inb4 "I was suspended for NO REASON" lol

We went from freelancer reporting client to freelancer going off platform and client even posting about it in feedback. 10 people tell you don't do it. One rando noob says "go for it it's fine" and he goes for the advice of the rando noob. This should turn out great.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS