🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client refuses to pay
Page options
801a8d0c
Community Member

Client refuses to pay

Hi all, 

I got a client on Dec 23 for a quick recording job and finished it by day 1. And a few days later he confirmed the job was successfully done and will pay later. A month later now, he starts to ignore my message and still does not pay. 

He did not open a contract for me as at that time he requested me to do it right away ( now I realize it is a trap I think...) but I do have evidence that the job was done and approved in our upwork chat. Does anyone know what I can do? Sincerely appreciate it in advance!

Job Post: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

3 REPLIES 3
dataextract
Community Member

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Abuse-of-Upwork-14-days-automatic-payment-amp-Upwork-dis...

Check this thread. If it is the same job, then you are not alone. Lot and lot of other freelancers are also in the same boat. 

If yours is a different one, and if you have finished the job without officially awarded, then it is your mistake. 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Ah, the old "I will gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today" scam.

Without a contract in place on Upwork, the client almost certainly won't pay you for your work. In the future, no contract = no work to do.

NikolaS

Hi JIA-YUN,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Unfortunately, it looks like you were not hired for this job. Please keep in mind that you shouldn't provide any work until your client sends you an offer and a contract is created under your My Jobs tab. A real client will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information.  

I encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Additionally, I would advise you to check this help article and available learning paths in the Academy section to help you get a safe and successful start. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths