🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Deaf freelancer who uses video relay services...
Page options
abenjm
Community Member

Deaf freelancer who uses video relay services for phone calls

Good afternoon all,

I'm a new Upwork freelancer who is Deaf/hearing impaired. I use video relay services (VRS) to allow me to have phone conversations with people. It comes with my own phone number so people can reach me and have normal conversations.

If I'm working with clients who need to make video calls through Upwork, will the Upwork call functionality allow external phone to dial in? I read somewhere that video call is provided via Google Meet or Zoom. Normally Google Meet/Zoom also include a dial-in number.

Can I use that to be able to dial in using my VRS phone number and be able to communicate effectively with my clients using audio?

I read the TOS and saw that providing phone details is not allowed but if I dial in, I would essentially be revealing my phone number.

What would you advise the best course of action for me to take? I did some research but didn't find any topics specific about using VRS in a Zoom call.

Thank you

Alex

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi Alexander,

You can certainly use the Zoom integration in Upwork Messages and select the option to dial in from your phone. Doing so is not a violation of the Terms of Service.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

Alexander:

You don't need to ask for anybody's permission to use equipment and techniques which have, as their sole purpose, facilitating communication to accommodate your hearing impairment.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Alexander M wrote:

Good afternoon all,

I'm a new Upwork freelancer who is Deaf/hearing impaired. I use video relay services (VRS) to allow me to have phone conversations with people. It comes with my own phone number so people can reach me and have normal conversations.

If I'm working with clients who need to make video calls through Upwork, will the Upwork call functionality allow external phone to dial in? I read somewhere that video call is provided via Google Meet or Zoom. Normally Google Meet/Zoom also include a dial-in number.

Can I use that to be able to dial in using my VRS phone number and be able to communicate effectively with my clients using audio?

I read the TOS and saw that providing phone details is not allowed but if I dial in, I would essentially be revealing my phone number.

What would you advise the best course of action for me to take? I did some research but didn't find any topics specific about using VRS in a Zoom call.

Thank you

Alex

Maybe one of the mods will chime in as well. There is an accommodations email address where you can notify them that you have to use services that include exchanging phone or revealing phone/contact info. 

And also:
A lot of deaf/hearing-impaired Upwork freelancers simply don't do audio and video calls with clients. They communicate via texting, messaging, email, etc. That's a valid choice for ANY Upwork freelancer.

Hello Preston H.

I agree texting, messaging, email, etc are perfectly valid choices and I encourage clients to use these as much as possible. I just would like to still have audio as an option for those who are more comfortable having verbal discussions to express their needs and maximize my ability to reach clients.

AndreaG

Hi Alexander,

You can certainly use the Zoom integration in Upwork Messages and select the option to dial in from your phone. Doing so is not a violation of the Terms of Service.

~Andrea
Upwork
abenjm
Community Member

Thanks for the information.

I would like to ask for additional clarification. Preston H. mentioned that texting and emailing are fine, does that mean once a client has hired me, I can email them using my own email address or text using my phone, and doing so won't be a violation of the ToS?

re: "does that mean once a client has hired me, I can email them using my own email address or text using my phone, and doing so won't be a violation of the ToS?"

Yes.

Once a client has hired you, there are no limitations on how you communicate with the client.

Any tools or techniques are allowed.

Thanks! Appreciate the clarification.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths