🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Disingenuous Client
Page options
garrettfleischer
Community Member

Disingenuous Client

Hello, this was my first job on Upwork, and I had a client that I submitted a proposal to tell me that they were impressed with my proposal and to download the example file and get the working script back to them.

I guess I didn't understand how Upwork works... Because I did the job and messaged them back and they told me they had already hired somebody else...

I'm just not sure what to do in this situation. I kind of want to report the client for getting me to do work without paying me. But at the same time I feel it is my fault for not waiting for confirmation of some kind?

Is there any recourse or am I just out of luck... I can provide proof of the conversation where the client asked me to do the work.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Garrett,

Please, make sure you have an active contract showing under your My Jobs tab before you start working for the client. Check out this post for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork and make sure you get paid. Please, report the message where a client asked you to do work without payment by clicking on the cogwheel next to it and flagging it as inappropriate. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jr-translation
Community Member

@Garrett F wrote:

Hello, this was my first job on Upwork, and I had a client that I submitted a proposal to tell me that they were impressed with my proposal and to download the example file and get the working script back to them.

1. I guess I didn't understand how Upwork works... Because I did the job and messaged them back and they told me they had already hired somebody else...

I'm just not sure what to do in this situation. I kind of want to report the client for getting me to do work without paying me. 2. But at the same time I feel it is my fault for not waiting for confirmation of some kind?

Is there any recourse or am I just out of luck... I can provide proof of the conversation where the client asked me to do the work.

1. Your guess is correct. Spent some time and learn how Upwork works.

2. It is entirely your fault. Never start work without a contract.

I could start listing all the Do's and Don'ts but

a) it is more helpful for you on the longrun to spent some time in the community and learn from other peoples mistakes

b) it is late and somebody else will reply with more detail

c) Petra might share her chart with you

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Garrett,

Please, make sure you have an active contract showing under your My Jobs tab before you start working for the client. Check out this post for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork and make sure you get paid. Please, report the message where a client asked you to do work without payment by clicking on the cogwheel next to it and flagging it as inappropriate. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
yitwail
Community Member

Garrett, I don’t want to pour salt on a wound but it wouldn’t surprise me a bit if the client lied when he told you he hired someone else. Some clients specialize in tricking new freelancers into doing jobs for free.

Contrary to other situations in life, a verbal agreement is not a contract on upwork. The rules that you agreed to when registering here explain that. So you wasted a few hours, that is not the end of the world. 

Beware of scammers and clients looking for free work. 

Now you know. It is okay to try things and learn from your mistakes!

You learned a valuable lesson from this experience. In all honesty, this cost you none of your own money and very little time. You came out ahead.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths