🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » First potential client. Messages to Proposal ...
Page options
elizabeth_muir
Community Member

First potential client. Messages to Proposal questions.

Hello, I have been casually browsing upwork for a about a year and have only applied to three jobs. One of my proposals came back with a response from the poster. First he was asking if I could do more than what was originally posted in his add, now he is saying to start with the original work posted in his add. He has not formally accepted my proposal and also is requesting a turn around time of 48 hours. His payment method is unverified. I would like some advice as how to move forward with this person. Do I first state that if he wants me to start the project he must accept my proposal submission? Is it risky to work with a client that doesn't have a verified form of payment?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

You can accept a contract with a client whose payment method is not verified.

Just make sure he verifies his payment method before you start working.

There is nothing wrong with starting work for a client who doesn't know exactly what he wants.

There is nothing wrong with accepting a contract with a client who talks about having you do MORE than what was in the original ad.

There is nothing wrong with accepting a contract with a client who requests a quick turnaround time.

Just understand that this is an HOURLY client. Do NOT accept a fixed-price contract with this client.

Not ONE of these things is something you should tolerate in a fixed-price contract.

Especially as a new/inexperienced freelancer.

Don't get pressured into anything. Hourly contract or nothing.

You can get into fixed-price contracts when you have some more experience or when you are dealing with less risky clients.

(These are MY tips... and don't represent any sort of "official" Upwork rules. I just don't want to see you get jammed up on this.)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
joansands
Community Member

Do not do any work for anyone without a contract!

teresadilley
Community Member

Do not provide any work until he has officially hired.  I would also ask for total clarification on what the person wants.  If he continues to hem and haw, walk away.

Terri

prestonhunter
Community Member

You can accept a contract with a client whose payment method is not verified.

Just make sure he verifies his payment method before you start working.

There is nothing wrong with starting work for a client who doesn't know exactly what he wants.

There is nothing wrong with accepting a contract with a client who talks about having you do MORE than what was in the original ad.

There is nothing wrong with accepting a contract with a client who requests a quick turnaround time.

Just understand that this is an HOURLY client. Do NOT accept a fixed-price contract with this client.

Not ONE of these things is something you should tolerate in a fixed-price contract.

Especially as a new/inexperienced freelancer.

Don't get pressured into anything. Hourly contract or nothing.

You can get into fixed-price contracts when you have some more experience or when you are dealing with less risky clients.

(These are MY tips... and don't represent any sort of "official" Upwork rules. I just don't want to see you get jammed up on this.)

Thanks so much for the advice. I hadn't even considered moving this to an hourly job. I went to adjust the proposal and it looks like there isn't a way on my end to propose this as hourly. Would you generally make this request to the job poster via messaging? 

Yes. Via messaging.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths