🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Fraudulent clients and websites
Page options
b86b82ff
Community Member

Fraudulent clients and websites

Hello, I would like to alert about fraudulent clients and websites with which I have come into contact through links on Telegram, and fraud attempts have resulted. **Edited for Community Guidelines**, y **Edited for Community Guidelines**are both fake websites, and customers who direct you to these websites to process payments just want to scam you. I'm reporting this so that these scams lose steam at UpWork, and thus honest clients and websites can be strengthened, with which to work without problems.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Fidel,

Please know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork.

I encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting hereFeel free to also check this page to help you stay safe on Upwork.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
NikolaS

Hi Fidel,

Please know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork.

I encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting hereFeel free to also check this page to help you stay safe on Upwork.

~ Nikola
Upwork
58e4de94
Community Member

I have a few things to go over with you as a new participant on your facility.  First, unfortunately your profile building program has a few problems.  It extracted information correctly from my resume and apparantly showed everything.  Upon entering the program I found that the experience sections were limited to 500 characters and mandated a city and country input.  This has forced me to drop many items from my profile that I would wish to present about myself in a business setting.  If professional experience is to be limited to 500 character "sound bites" as it were, why not tell us upfront instead of returning an error condition on an edit screen?

Next, a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation is a license to practice granted by the individual states here in the US.  The CPA designation should offer us the place to indicate our state of licensure along with the license number.  This distinction becomes important for those of us living in one state and licensed to practice in another.  

My profile says that it is 85% complete and gives a list of missing items falsely saying Employment History, Education and Certifications need to be filled in.  These items are already filled in.  I am aware of the Portfolio, Video and Other for the profile and would like to reserve my decision when to complete them.

IS there a way to communicate a rate for services to be negotiable, right upfront on the profile that the client sees or must this be communicated in the cover letter in the bidding process?  

Once a bid of mine is accepted I have a password protected portal that I utilize to receive and distribute client documents from.  As a CPA practitioner we are mandated to have security policies in place for the protection of our clients' sensitive data.  Once my contract is perfected are there any restrictions on communication or any additional Upwork protocols which I must me made aware?

Thank you for your attention.

Regards,  Peter

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

A couple of answers: Once a contract is in place, you may communicate and pass documents to and from the client using anything you wish. You may indicate in your profile the state(s) in which you are licensed or indicate that in your proposal.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths