🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » German Freelancer on Upwork - legal requireme...
Page options
5b0ae4cf
Community Member

German Freelancer on Upwork - legal requirements (Impressumspflicht)

Hi there,

I am new to upwork and I am German. In Germany, we have a law called "Telemediengesetz", which requires any business to provide their full contact information wherever they offer their services online (I linked the law and pasted some excerpts below). The law is very strict as to how and what information needs to be provided and that it has to be "directly accessible and constantly available" (= messaging contact info back and forth is not sufficient). In case law, that usually means that "if you do not provide a link to your imprint within two clicks, you can be fined up to 50.000 Euro". In case law, it is even specified that the link cannot be called just "info" but it has to say "imprint" or "contact information" or something similar.

This German law applies to any platform where a business offers their services. So for example, if a German company has a profile on Facebook, they need to link to their imprint with their full contact information on their Facebook profile. The link needs to have up-to-date information and be available at all times.

I assume this law also applies to platforms like upwork, yet upwork prohibits to provide contact info in a freelancer profile. I asked support for help, but I got answers on tax questions that do not refer to Telemediengesetz. This is not about taxes, it is about legally being required to provide contact information when offering services online as a German.

Can anyone tell me how I can legally work on upwork as a German freelancer without risking high fines? Does anyone know of any incidents with "Abmahnanwälte" related to upwork and imprints or can someone tell me what I can do to be on the safe side here?

Feel free to answer in German if you are German too 🙂

Thanks,

Hanna

The concerning paragraphs of the law (google-translated into English for better understanding):

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/tmg/__1.html

Telemedia Act (TMG)
§ 1 Scope
(1) This Act applies to all electronic information and communication services,
(...)

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/tmg/__5.html
Telemedia Act (TMG)
§ 5 General information requirements
(1) Service providers must keep the following information easily recognizable, directly accessible and constantly available for business-like telemedia, which are usually offered for a fee:
the name and address at which they are established; in the case of legal entities, the legal form, the authorized representatives and, if information is provided about the company's capital, the share capital and, if not all of the contributions to be made in cash have been paid in , the total amount of outstanding deposits,
Information that enables quick electronic contact and direct communication with you, including the address of the electronic mail,
(...)

Here is a article which explains further , what the law means by that and how :

https://www.srd-rechtsanwaelte.de/blog/die-impressumspflicht-2-klicks-oder-viele-probleme/

Immediately accessible: The "immediacy" of accessibility depends above all on the fact that the imprint information can be reached without any significant intermediate steps. It is no longer necessary for them to be visible at the end of every page of a website. Rather, it is sufficient to list all information on just one page, provided that it can be accessed from all other pages via a link. In the case law, the principle has been established that the imprint must be reached with no more than two clicks. However, this only applies if the information in the imprint is complete and correct and a complete and correct imprint is not created by further clicks.

Always available: The information is always available if the user can access it at any time. This also assumes that the data can be archived, i.e. above all copied and printed out. A temporary disruption of the accessibility is harmless. The information must be provided free of charge. In the case of a paid offer, the information must be available free of charge before logging in so that the user has information about the contractual partner in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Good question. But you are not offering services on a German website, since upwork is a US based company. That could be a "loophole" where the German law does not apply. There are lots of German freelancers here that I'm assuming didn't run into this problem. 

Hi Martina,

thank you for your answer! 
Unfortunately, that cannot be it. Facebook is not Germany-based either and there have been cases where German companies have been sued for not having an imprint on their Facebook profile. As a German company, I have to comply to German law.

I assume if it hasn't happened on Upwork yet, it will happen at some point. Facebook is just bigger than Upwork, so it gets more attention sooner 😉

So I would really like to know if and how I can get this right from the beginning.

Johanna D wrote:

Hi Martina,

thank you for your answer! 
Unfortunately, that cannot be it. Facebook is not Germany-based either and there have been cases where German companies have been sued for not having an imprint on their Facebook profile. As a German company, I have to comply to German law.

I assume if it hasn't happened on Upwork yet, it will happen at some point. Facebook is just bigger than Upwork, so it gets more attention sooner 😉

So I would really like to know if and how I can get this right from the beginning.

Hmmm right. But as a German freelancer, you don't have to be a company, in fact, you are a single person on your freelancer profile. But it's true you can't have that information on your profile. Waiting for others to chime in....

The law does not only apply to businesses. Basically EVERYONE has to provide an imprint, with the exception of "pages that are used exclusively for private purposes". Which obviously does not apply to Upwork profiles.

Maybe this makes it more clear (google-translated this page by Federal Ministry of Justice and Consumer Protection: https://www.bmjv.de/DE/Verbraucherportal/DigitalesTelekommunikation/Impressumspflicht/Impressumspfli... 😞

"Who has to provide an imprint?
Section 5 of the German Telemedia Act (TMG) regulates who is subject to the legal notice. Basically, it can be said that the obligation applies to all providers of a website if the platform serves business purposes. This means that pages that are used exclusively for private purposes do not come under the imprint obligation (Section 18 of the State Media Treaty speaks of "exclusively personal or family purposes").

Important: If advertising is placed on the privately used page, with which money is earned, this can establish an imprint obligation.

Above all, sales platforms such as online shops and search engines must provide an imprint. However, accounts in social networks such as Facebook and Co. also require an imprint if the account is also used commercially, for example for job advertisements."

Johanna D wrote:

The law does not only apply to businesses. Basically EVERYONE has to provide an imprint, with the exception of "pages that are used exclusively for private purposes". Which obviously does not apply to Upwork profiles.

Maybe this makes it more clear (google-translated this page by Federal Ministry of Justice and Consumer Protection: https://www.bmjv.de/DE/Verbraucherportal/DigitalesTelekommunikation/Impressumspflicht/Impressumspfli... 😞

"Who has to provide an imprint?
Section 5 of the German Telemedia Act (TMG) regulates who is subject to the legal notice. Basically, it can be said that the obligation applies to all providers of a website if the platform serves business purposes. This means that pages that are used exclusively for private purposes do not come under the imprint obligation (Section 18 of the State Media Treaty speaks of "exclusively personal or family purposes").

Important: If advertising is placed on the privately used page, with which money is earned, this can establish an imprint obligation.

Above all, sales platforms such as online shops and search engines must provide an imprint. However, accounts in social networks such as Facebook and Co. also require an imprint if the account is also used commercially, for example for job advertisements."

Yes, but that does not cover US based websites, which upwork is. You have a profile on upwork, but you don't own the website. The owner has to provide the imprint. 

As stated before, it does not matter if Upwork is based in Germany or somewhere else.

The law also applies to providing services on a Facebook profile as a German freelancer. Facebook is also not a Germany based company either - it does not matter where the company lives that provides the website. It matters that I as a German freelancer am offering services online on some profile page on some website on the internet. So I need an imprint.

Here are links to a few cases where this has been confirmend by courts in Germany (google-translated this for you):
https://allfacebook.de/policy/das-impressum-rechtliche-stolperfallen-beim-facebook-marketing-teil-4

"Imprint obligation for Facebook pages
The question of whether Facebook pages need an imprint can be answered with a short "yes". This has now been confirmed by several courts (including LG Aschaffenburg, judgment of August 19, 2011, Az. 2 HK O 54/11 and Düsseldorf Higher Regional Court, judgment of August 13, 2013, Az. I-20 U 75/13). The problems arise with the implementation of the imprint obligation. Because an imprint must be "easily recognizable and directly accessible" according to § 5 TMG."

The links to the cases:
https://openjur.de/u/237461.html
https://medien-internet-und-recht.de/volltext.php?mir_dok_id=2517

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths