🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Fre...
Page options
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Note: A previous version of this post was closed as the number of responses made it difficult to read and navigate. If you had not received a response yet to a request you made, please post again in this thread.

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

7,804 REPLIES 7,804

Please write four Summary paragraphs, use all 15 Skills, and add a Project Catalog.

5867d635
Community Member

Hello, vibrant community!

I’ve recently joined this wonderful space and I’m thrilled to be here. If anyone could take a moment to peruse my profile and share their valuable feedback, it would absolutely make my day! 🙏

celgins
Community Member

Hello Arash,

I looked through your profile and overall, I think it looks good. I have only two suggestions that might help improve it:

Title: There is redundancy in your title. Shorter, focused titles typically work best. I suggest: WordPress Developer.

Overview/Summary: The first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown to clients when they search for freelancers. This means you have very little space to get their attention. You want this small space to include important words (i.e., your services, skills, and experience)--not emojis.

In addition to removing the emojis, I recommend avoiding singling out a particular client (i.e., "Small business owners"). Instead, ask a more general question and remove your name from the next paragraph:

Are you in search of a visually striking and distinctive website to draw customers to your business? Look no further! As a seasoned WordPress Developer with 7 years of expertise in crafting swift and fully-functional business websites, I can help you navigate the intimidating process of creating a website if you're not tech-savvy or prefer focusing on the business side.

The other sections of your profile look great.

Good luck!

58d2fa1a
Community Member

New here guys.
Any thoughts on my profile?

Richard,

Well, you took a stab at it. Now, let's figure this out.

I like your easy-going writing style,  but, writer to writer -- never write "and more" or "etc." If it's important, spell it out, don't hint at it. If it's not important, why are you hinting at it? See how that works? 

Along those lines, there are technical reasons to say this, but it's advised not to open with salutations. That said, what meetings are you talking about?  I don't get what "Merry meetings, everyone!" refers to.

Next, you quickly say, "I enjoy designing memorable characters." It isn't wrong to say that --  it's important to sound friendly and gung-ho -- but a profile is a pseudo sales pitch, so it should be about what your customers enjoy, not what you enjoy. Along similar lines, you say you are looking to further yourself as a writer. Some will see that as you being new to this and, therefore, high risk. Others will simply think they are not here to help your career; you're supposed to be here to help them get a project done.

Again, you've got some personal affiliations posted at the end: "Autism / Neurotypical / LGTBQ+friendly." That's terrific, but, once more, you're thinking about yourself, not your clients. By itself, none of these things are deal breakers, but it begins to sound self-indulgent to say your enjoyment, your career, and your personal affiliations are what counts here,  expecially when you avoid writing about your clients altogether.

The standard here is to write two or three short paragraphs about your skills and your experience, then write two or thee longer paragraphs about your clients, telling them, essentially, you understand what they want. When someone thinks, "Hey, this guy understands my dilemna," you will be very close to getting the gig.

Finally ... no writing samples? How is that? 

Good luck.

b53032cc
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm reaching out to ask for your feedback on my Upwork profile. I believe hearing from experienced peers like you would be really helpful.

If you could take a few moments to check out my profile and share your thoughts, I'd really appreciate it. I'm particularly interested in any suggestions or advice you have on how I can make my profile showcase my skills and expertise better.

Your insights will be incredibly valuable in helping me refine my profile and succeed on Upwork. Thanks so much for your time and support.

Best regards,

Tseke Hector Bapela

Tseke,

You don't seem to understand how Upwork works.

Pay attention: Somebody who wants a copywriter will come to Upwork looking for one to hire. That person will then write a job posting that tells people they are looking for a copywriter. They then post that notice on Upwork. With that, they recieve proposals from writers -- mostly copywriters -- who want to be hired for that opportunity.

If this is the case (and it is) why do you spend 333 words (I counted) explaining to clients the benefits of employing a copywriter??????

They already know the benefits of hiring a copywriter or they wouldn't have come to Upwork looking for one.

I literally counted (cut and pasted and let the computer count) how many words you spend lecturing your clients on something they already know.

Let's say you wanted to buy a car. You go to a car dealership and the salesman comes out and gives you a lecture on why you need a car. Don't you think you would say, "I already know why I need a car. That's why I'm standing here."

You don't need to tell people why they need a copywriter. Your first 333 words in your profile could be seen as insulting. You should consider deleting all of that.

Good luck.

Thanks Anthony, I appreciate your feedback. You really helped me a lot.

f593c2ac
Community Member

Hello, amazing deal.
I need your comments.

celgins
Community Member

William,

I highly suggest removing the first sentence in your profile overview/summary:

"Hello! My name is William Woodruff, your go-to expert for innovative software solutions, based right here in the vibrant tech landscape of the United States."

Nothing in this sentence provides any value to clients. When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want this small space to include important words (i.e., your services, skills, and experience)--not greetings, names, locations, or any irrelevant information.

You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

The other sections of your profile look good.

c3900749
Community Member

Hi everyone, I'm new on the platform but also in the freelancing field in general. I find this topic very helpful so I hope someone can take a look at my profile and gives me an honest feedback. Thank you.

celgins
Community Member

Hi Alessandro,

I looked through your profile and I see good background information. However, the structure of your overview/summary is the opposite of how it should be. You talk about your background first and your goals for clients last. Instead of focusing on yourself (background, education, achievements, etc.), you must focus on the client. Clients come to Upwork with specific needs and they look for freelancers who can meet those needs and get results.

The first two sentences of your summary are important. When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want clients to see your services and offerings in this small space.

Here is an example that is client-focused and uses the first two sentences to immediately tell clients how you can help them:

Passionate Data Scientist with experience collecting, analyzing, and interpreting complex data to help organizations make informed decisions. I can help you leverage data to drive strategic decisions, improve processes, and achieve your objectives with precision and efficiency.

I hold a master's degree in Data Science from the University of Pisa, where I graduated with top honors. My academic journey provided me with a robust foundation in data analysis, machine learning, and statistical modeling, skills I have continuously honed through practical application.

(Before continuing with background information, keep the focus on ways you can help clients.)

• Tell clients how you will communicate and gather feedback during their project to ensure the final deliverables meet their needs.
  • Mention that you stay informed of the latest developments, trends, and emerging technologies in data science and machine learning.
  • Talk about how you can uphold ethical standards, protect proprietary data, and use responsible practices for data collection and analysis.
  • Which data visualization software applications/tools do you use?
  • Mention your time management and organizational skills while managing a data analytics project.
  • Talk about your ability to meet business challenges and adapt to changing or new requirements if necessary.

Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Your skills list looks good, but you have room for other relevant skill categories like Data Analytics and Data Analytics and Visualization Software. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Good luck!

c3900749
Community Member

Thank you very much Clark!

c9e57456
Community Member

I'm new to Upwork and freelancing. Could anyone please take a moment to review my profile and provide feedback?

celgins
Community Member

Hi Antar,

One of the most important factors in getting clients' attention is to focus on their needs. Your profile overview/summary has good information, but it's mostly focused on you. You can easily make it more client-focused by revising a few sentences. Here is an example:

I am a results-driven Data Analyst with five years of experience specializing in complex dataset analysis. My expertise lies in data manipulation, statistical modeling, precise data visualization, and turning data into insights and actionable solutions. I can develop and maintain databases, generate reports, and create dashboards to monitor key performance indicators for strategic decision-making.

(Add a blank line here to make your summary easier for clients to read.)

Proficient in SQL, MS Excel, Python, and crafting interactive reports in Tableau, I can create visually appealing and impactful dashboards. I have extensive experience working with various sectors, including energy, finance, and technology with a proven track record of reducing energy consumption by 10% through trend data analytics for high-tech clients, resulting in a million-dollar cost savings.

(Now, add more client-focused material like:

• Tell clients how you communicate and gather feedback during a project to ensure the final deliverables meet their needs.
  • Mention that you stay informed of the latest developments, trends, and emerging technologies in data analytics and machine learning.
  • Talk about how you can uphold ethical standards, protect proprietary data and information, and use responsible practices for data collection and analysis.
  • Talk about your ability to meet business challenges and adapt to changing or new requirements if necessary.)

Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression, and clients will expect to see a few Excel, Tableau or other samples. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Be sure to add relevant skill categories to your skills list. Several important categories like Data Analytics, Data Analysis, Data Analytics & Visualization Software, and Data Visualization should be added because all are highly relevant to your services. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

Your certifications and employment history look great.

Good luck!

721dd89d
Community Member

Hello everyone, I'm new to upwork, I'd like to receive some feedback on my profile, so i'm excited to start working through this platform, best regrads!!

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0185ce5cd1aa6596d5

celgins
Community Member

Hello Natalia,

There is good information in your profile. However, I think your overview/summary needs to go further to convince clients to hire you. You provide good background and experience information; now, give specific examples of how you can help clients. I would give these examples early in the first paragraph. For example:

I am a social communicator and journalist, with a focus on b2b business development, strategic communication and positioning through advertising. I help businesses identify, cultivate, and expand their relationships with other businesses to generate new opportunities and revenue streams.

(Keep the focus on clients by mentioning more services you can provide and how.)

I work with my clients to understand their unique needs and conduct market research to identify potential target industries and segments; identifying potential leads; build and nurture relationships with key stakeholders and decision-makers; conduct needs assessments; and help negotiate and close deals.

(If possible, add another paragraph that helps clients understand why they should choose you. For example, you can highlight projects you have worked on and your accomplishments, and talk about your ability to meet business challenges and adapt to changing or new requirements when necessary.)

You don't have to keep the content I wrote, but you get the general idea--continue to focus on the services/tasks you can do to help clients meet their business needs.

Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Also, I suggest writing your profile information in English--you will get much more attention that way.

Good luck!

d03a2141
Community Member

Please give me feedback on my profile, and let me know what improvements I can make.

Thanks

celgins
Community Member

Nelson,

I recommend starting your overview/summary with sentences instead of emojis and statements. Start by removing the first line:

":glowing_star: Passionate Professional Dedicated to Positive Change :globe_showing_europe_africa:"

When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want this small space to include important words (i.e., your services, skills, and experience). Emojis and statements are irrelevant and provide no value to clients.

You summary will be more appealing to read if it starts with sentences:

Skilled grant writer who can write grant proposas, conduct grant research, and assist with grant applications, strategic business planning, and business proposal development. With an extensive eight-year track record, I bring seasoned proficiency to grant writing and business consultancy. Certified and skilled, I've successfully guided both profit-driven and nonprofit enterprises towards growth and success.

I think the other sections of your profile look great.

d03a2141
Community Member

Thank you so much Clark 🙏

219f1f90
Community Member

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could review my profile and give me your valuable feedback.

Thank you.

Here is my profile link.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01aaa55d14363d190f

celgins
Community Member

Shuvo,

I looked through your profile and overall, I think it looks good.

I think you can optimize the beginning of your overview/summary by removing redundant text. Here is what I mean:

"I'm WordPress Expert and PHP developer with 2+ years of experience. I am highly experienced with WordPress design and development."

You've already established your experience with WordPress design and development when you used the word "expert" in the first sentence. I would remove the second sentence to allow your third sentence to be seen.

When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want this small space to include important words (i.e., your services, skills, and experience). Your third sentence offers this, so it would be great if clients see more of it in searches.

Your portfolio, skills and employment history look good. However, I would add a short job description to your full-stack develper job at Offshore IT.  Job descriptions are especially important when the job is highly relevant to the services you provide on Upwork.

Good luck!

1d011579
Community Member

Thank you AndreaG for the introductory message.

I'm literally fresh and new to Upwork. I would appreciate it if experienced Upworker can advice me on my profile.

Thank you again! Cheers.

celgins
Community Member

Faris,

Your profile does not have enough information to convince clients to hire you. I know you're new, but you must add more substance to your overview/summary for clients to understand how you can help them. Clients come to Upwork with specific needs and they look for freelancers who can get results.

Profiles work best when they are focused on specific skill areas. Doing so will allow clients to better understand your services, skills, and experience within a particular skill area. Right now, your profile title branches into several different areas, and it will be better to focus on one skill area or related skill areas.

For example, you can probably provide services as a Virtual Assistant. Or, you can use something like Virtual Assistant | Social Media Management.

In your summary, provide more details about your services and how you can help clients. For example:

• Tell clients about your approach to providing virtual assistance services and why your data entry, social media management, calendar management, etc. is beneficial to them.
  • Describe your strengths and why it should matter to the client.
  • Talk about your typing speed, accuracy, attention to detail, and maintaining quality standards.
  • Also talk about your time management and organizational skills, and which tools/applications you are familiar with.
  • Talk about your ability to solve administrative problems and adapt to changing or new requirements if necessary.

Add short job descriptions to each job in your employment history. A job description is especially important when the job is highly relevant to the services you provide on Upwork.

Good luck!

siddhicjavan
Community Member

Can you please have a look at my profile?

Thank you in advance for your precious time! 

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0170a24ef702c85e7a

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths