🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Fre...
Page options
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Note: A previous version of this post was closed as the number of responses made it difficult to read and navigate. If you had not received a response yet to a request you made, please post again in this thread.

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

7,804 REPLIES 7,804

Hi, I see you've got 2 job great!

I'm have a client profile. From my perspective, this what I think :

- increase your price to $10/hr. I think$6 is too low. $10 is low but feels like I will get at least some reasonably good work. At $6 I'm kind of scared to hire you.

- change your portfolio pictures that reflect your graphic design skills (the ones with the before and after). As a client I expect that you have graphic design skills which is why you have a profile here. What I want to see is the business cards, fliers, logos, brochures have you made. (Pick the ones you want to work, If you're not specific then take 4 types and work on those. ) They don't even have to be things you have made for a client, they could be your own version of things around you. Design them, print them then take great photos and put them up OR put up the finished soft copy. Be truthfull to the client though if they ask if they were for clients on upwork. Truthfullness and politeness really helps here because that's all we have to judge if we can work with you.
Hope this helps.

cc1221ee
Community Member

Hi

Could you please let me know what improvements need to be made to my profile? Thank you

Hi Hotensia D

I am new freelancer here like you. I am doing my best to develop my profile.

My tips for you

1, Build Strong Overview that is related to your skill.

2, Set good Portfolio, It is crucial when clients check your account.

3, Choose your specific skill, Don't run after a lot of professions. If you do, You'll never get any.

This is what I get from senior freelancers

Thank You

ca3384a6
Community Member

I would appreciate if anyone would take a look at my profile and suggest some improvements? 

celgins
Community Member

Damilola,

Very nice profile. Your overview/summary is informational and your portfolio, skills, certification, and employment history look great.

I do not see much that can be improved to convince clients to hire you.

You might want to add a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Good luck!

ca3384a6
Community Member

Thank you for you feedback Clark🙏. I will work on your recommendation.

c1a14138
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm relatively new to Upwork and eager to improve my profile to better showcase my skills and expertise. I would greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions you might have after reviewing my profile.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!
my profile link: Benkouider W. - "Elite Programmer & Translator: Crafting Digital Brilliance" - Upwork Freelancer fro...

celgins
Community Member

Hello Benkouider,

Clients come to Upwork with specific needs and rarely do that look for programmers and translators at the same time. Clients looking for programmers will get too much information about translation and clients looking for translators receive too much information about programming. To fix this, I recommend creating a Specialized Profile. Focus your main profile on either programming or translation and focus your specialized profile on the other.

Remove the quotes "" from your title and as stated above, focus your title on one skill area or related skill areas.

Apply the same strategy to your overview/summary. Focus your main profile on programming or translation and your specialized profile on the other.

The most important thing to know about your summary--main profile or specialized profile--is your focus should be on clients, not you. Your summary offers a lot of information about your background, your passions, personal missions, personal goals, and how you spend your free time. Clients don't care about these things--clients want to know which services you provide and how you can help them.

Here is an example of what clients expect to see in a profile summary:

I am a versatile Translator with experience translating Arabic to French/English and French/English to Arabic. I can translate web content, e-books, literature, technical documents, and business documents. I can help you prepare and translate data and documents, and create accurate materials in your desired language.

You don't have to use these exact words, but you get the idea; focus on how you can help clients--not your own, personal or professional goals. Tell clients a little about your process for working with them, understanding their needs, and making sure they are 100% satisfied with your services. The goal is to give potential clients several reasons to choose you.

For the profile (main or specialized) focused on translations, be sure to add relevant skill categories to your skills list. For example, you can add Arabic to French Translation, Arabic to English Translation, French to Arabic Translation, and English to Arabic Translation. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

Even though we can create specialized profiles, we have only one portfolio. I recommend adding a few translation items to your portfolio.

You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Once you revise your summary, separate programming from translation, and update your skills, clients will have a better understanding of your services and how you can help them.

Good luck!

3ae5a86b
Community Member

Hello. I'm Sadat. I'm sort of new to Upwork. I haven't gotten any job yet. I've researched how to improve my profile to get offers. Please help me review my profile and let me know if there should be any improvements. Thank you

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01b80974c0513e5393?mp_source=share 

celgins
Community Member

Hello Sadat,

Your profile photo does not look bad, but I suggest using another picture for your photo. The picture in your photo should be a close-up image of your head and shoulders that clearly shows your face. Read through Upwork's best practices for How to Choose A Good Profile Picture.

Your research was successful because the other areas of your profile look good. However, you should add more relevant skill categories to your skills list. For example, relevant virtual assistance skills you can add: Calendar Management, Email Management, Appointment Setting, Trello, and any others related to your work. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

Good luck!

12a08715
Community Member
celgins
Community Member

Aisha,

I think your profile looks good. Your summary, portfolio, skills, and certification provide enough information for clients to understand how you can help them.

You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Good luck!

503b3072
Community Member

Hello everyone, would you like to give feedback about my profile that I've been using in my Upwork journey?

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~013dac701d8cddb51b

celgins
Community Member

Hello Baris,

I like the information in your profile. Here are a few things you can do to improve it:

1) I suggest removing the greeting and your name from your overview/summary: "Hello! I'm BarısWhy? Because when clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space to get their attention. You want clients to see your services, skills, and experience in this small space--not greetings, names or any unnecessary words.

2) The items in your portfolio look great, but I recommend adding two or three more samples. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression and clients will expect to see several samples from a graphic artist/designer. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

3) Add more relevant skill categories to your skills list. You are missing important categories like Graphic Design, Photo Editing, Presentation Design, and others highly related to your work. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

4) Add short job descriptions to each job in your employment history. A job description is especially important when the job is highly relevant to the services you provide on Upwork.

Good luck!

d00acfb8
Community Member

Hello, please help me review my profile.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01eb9ce4db3069c828

Thank you.

celgins
Community Member

Hello Lilian,

Most clients come to Upwork with specific needs, but they rarely need all over your services at the same time. To avoid confusion, focus your main profile title one a specific skill area or related skill areas. Also, don't use the term "project manager" if you're not a true project manager. Many clients will expect a project manager to hold one or more project management certifications like PMP.

Next, the word "writer" is quite generic and doesn't mean much in a title. I recommend removing it.

Based on the information in your overview/summary, I suggest revising your title and capitalizing the first letter of each word to help it stand out: Virtual Assistant | Transcriptionist | Typist

I highly suggest removing the greeting and the first two sentences in your summary:

"Hello"

"Thank you for checking out my profile. My name is Lilian, I am from Nigeria and here is a quick overview of my skills and strength."

When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want this small space to include important words (i.e., your services, skills, and experience)--not greetings, names, locations, or any irrelevant text.

Create a introduction that immediately mentions your services:

Are you stuck managing cumbersome details like data entry, file maintenance, copy editing, and scheduling when you should be focusing on running your business? I am a Virtual Assistant helping businesses meet their deadlines and maintain quality standards. I am well organized, efficient, and self-motivated with 98-100% accuracy rate. The key to my success has been to learn quickly and also to reach for a higher personal and professional standard by seeking additional responsibilities.

A few things to consider revising:

• What does the 98-100% accuracy rate mean (i.e., typing speed, document conversions, data entry, etc.)
  • When you say "translation of documents," what does this mean? You must tell clients what types of documents you can translate and the origin/destination (e.g., "I can translate web content, technical documents, and business documents from English to French [or something else]).
  • There are several types of transcription, so you need to specify (i.e., audio/video, medical, legal, etc.)

There are more skills related to your work that should be added to your skills list. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

Add short job descriptions to each job in your employment history. A job description is especially important when the job is highly relevant to the services you provide on Upwork.

0abe39a8
Community Member

Dear fellow freelancers,

I kindly request your professional insight regarding my Upwork profile: https://www.upwork.com/fl/shopifyexpertdesigner.

Your expertise and perspective would greatly assist me in optimizing my profile to showcase my skills and experience effectively. Please share any recommendations or suggestions you believe would enhance my profile and attract potential clients.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

celgins
Community Member

Muhammad,

I suggest removing the first line from your overview/summary:

celgins_0-1708978422903.png

When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want clients to see their goals (your services) in this small space. Even if your JSS and Rising Talent badge were still accurate, there is no need to mention them because they already display on your profile.

Also, remove the other two emojis in the first sentence of your first paragraph.

celgins_3-1708978868514.png

The rest of your profile looks fine, but I would optimize the first part of your summary as stated above.

Good luck!

6d68791c
Community Member

Hi, I am new here. Can someone take look at my profile.
Thanks.

Please use two Skills in the Title, write four paragraphs for the Summary, add your Portfolio, and add a Project Catalog.

20519b6e
Community Member

I am really confused about the waiting period before we can start applying for jobs!  I also think my profile needs work, but I am struggling to figure out how to present myself because my background is in education and theater!  Thank you for sharing your journey 🙂 

celgins
Community Member

Hi Mandie,

As long as you have Connects to spend, you can apply for jobs--no waiting period. You’ll receive 50 free Connects within 48 hours when you create an Upwork profile for the first time. However, many freelancers are reporting wait times a little beyond 48 hours.

When I look at your profile, I can see why you're struggling to present yourself--you have a diverse skill set, so it can be difficult to know where to start. The approach that I, and a lot of freelancers follow, is to use your main profile to offer services based on your strongest or most desired skill set. For example, if your main profile focuses on creative writing, copywriting, and/or copy editing services, your title should be specific to those services (e.g., Copywriter/Editor).

Once you settle on a specific skill area for your main profile, you can add one or two Specialized Profiles that focus on any other unrelated services. For example, if you wish to provide ESL services, you can create a specialized profile specifically for it. Then, you can another specialized profile for performing arts/theater/drama, etc. Creating specialized profiles cuts down on confusion and allows potential clients to focus on their specific needs.

Whether your main profile or specialized profiles, the overview/summary should focus on the services you can provide to clients. Clients come to Upwork with specifice needs and they look for freelancers who can meet those needs and get results.

No matter which skill area you focus on for your main and specialized profiles, we only get one portfolio. Each of your skill areas (i.e., copywriting, English teaching/tutoring, performing arts) demand visuals. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression and clients will expect several samples from someone with your diverse skill set. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

So, the most important thing is to separate your skill areas by focusing your main profile on one skill area (or related skill areas) and creating specialized profiles for the other skill areas. When applying to jobs, you can send either profile (main or specialized) depending on the job. For example, if you apply to an ESL tutor job, you send your English Teacher specialized profile. When applying to a copywriting job, you will send your Copywriting/Editing specialized profile.

Once you update your profile, come back and post another message, and someone will review your updates.

68f9b305
Community Member

Hi Clark,

I have set my profile to pubilc, can you please have a look at it now and leave your feedback; 

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01d1bd8aafc1cda9f4?mp_source=share 

Thanks, 

Ijaz.

Ijaz Ali
0f93fb6e
Community Member

Hi,

My name is Aleef and I'm new in upwork. I'm keen to do some data entry work however It is showing that I have 0 connects in my profile. Could someone please take a look at my profile and let me know how I can collect my needs?

"collect my needs" - What does that mean?

2bdafed9
Community Member

Hey seniors. 
Can any experienced person check my profile and let me know, where I can improve? 
I created my profile in 2021. At that time, I did receive 2 orders, but I got outside Upword clients on local and international via Facebook. So I left it but now I want to resume my work on Upwork but with endless efforts (profile managing to sending proposals) I couldn't able to receive any invites so please guide me. What I can do? 

celgins
Community Member

Hi Nida,

I have a few suggestions that might help improve your profile:

Hourly Rate: I think your hourly rate is a bit too low. With four years of experience and two jobs completed on Upwork, your rate should probably be between $10.00/hr - $15.00/hr. I looked at graphic designers based in Pakistan with similar skills/experience, and most profiles are between $10.00/hr -$25.00/hr.

Title: Remove the experience information from your title; experience should only appear in your summary: Graphic Designer | Print Collateral

Overview/Summary: I like the information in your summary. I would reduce the number of words it takes to reach your services and skills. For example:

Highly skilled Graphic Designer with 4+ years of experience creating high-quality print media designs, product images, package designs, vector art, logos, and more. I’ve served reputable clients like Mavericks Independent League, Volcanoes Stadium, Efel (A gospel artist), NutrifactLife, and many others. I specialize in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator, and an expert in Canva and Wix.

(Add a blank line here to make it easier for clients to read.)

I love exploring new styles and techniques to suit the client's needs. I am never afraid of learning new things and bringing up new ideas in my design. I never give up on revisions. I always want my clients to be satisfied with my work 100%.

My Skills:

(...)

Skills: Be sure to add more relevant skill categories to your skills list. I think Product Design and Print Design are both highly related to your services. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

Employment History: Add short job descriptions to each job in your employment history. A job description is especially important when the job is highly relevant to the services you provide on Upwork. The job descriptions, along with the titles, will help match your profile with relevant graphic design jobs.

Your portfolio, project catalog, and certification look good.

Good luck!

1eb69842
Community Member

Hiya!

New to this group, and wondering if someone wants to take a look at my profile and give some feedback.

Thanks! 🙂

celgins
Community Member

Hi Ninharra,

I looked through your profile and here are a few suggestions to improve it:

Title: Use only focused skills categories in your title. For example, if you wish to provide tutoring services on Upwork, your title should be something like: Dutch Tutor and Translator

Overview/Summary: Your summary needs to offer potential clients specific examples of the services you can provide. The first two sentences of your summary are shown to clients in searches, so these two sentences must convince clients to click and see your profile. Usually, clients are more interested in clicking if they see their goals (your services) in the first two sentences.

Here is an example:

Highly talented Dutch translator speclalizing in translating from Dutch to English and English to Dutch. I can translate web content, product information, e-books, literature, technical documents, and business documents. I can help you prepare, manage, and translate data and documentation, and create accurate materials in your desired language and voice.

Where multiple European languages can be, by choice, taught in schools, the Dutch language often falls behind. Let me help you expand the knowledge of your product, whether it be in a commercial, social media content, movies, shows, or any other way towards a higher sale level!

You can revise this as you see fit, but you get the general idea--use the first 200-250 characters to tell clients about your services. You can add relevant skill, experience, and background information afterwards.

Portfolio: Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Skills: Two recommends: 1) remove the skill category Server since it relates to computer servers; 2) add important skill categories like Dutch to English Translation and English to Dutch Translation. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

Once you make these updates, come back and post another message, and someone will review your updates.

Good luck!

4d6da8dd
Community Member

Could you please visit my profile? Your feedback is much appreciated. 

Please write four Summary paragraphs, use all 15 Skills, and add a Project Catalog.

5867d635
Community Member

Hello, vibrant community!

I’ve recently joined this wonderful space and I’m thrilled to be here. If anyone could take a moment to peruse my profile and share their valuable feedback, it would absolutely make my day! 🙏

celgins
Community Member

Hello Arash,

I looked through your profile and overall, I think it looks good. I have only two suggestions that might help improve it:

Title: There is redundancy in your title. Shorter, focused titles typically work best. I suggest: WordPress Developer.

Overview/Summary: The first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown to clients when they search for freelancers. This means you have very little space to get their attention. You want this small space to include important words (i.e., your services, skills, and experience)--not emojis.

In addition to removing the emojis, I recommend avoiding singling out a particular client (i.e., "Small business owners"). Instead, ask a more general question and remove your name from the next paragraph:

Are you in search of a visually striking and distinctive website to draw customers to your business? Look no further! As a seasoned WordPress Developer with 7 years of expertise in crafting swift and fully-functional business websites, I can help you navigate the intimidating process of creating a website if you're not tech-savvy or prefer focusing on the business side.

The other sections of your profile look great.

Good luck!

58d2fa1a
Community Member

New here guys.
Any thoughts on my profile?

Richard,

Well, you took a stab at it. Now, let's figure this out.

I like your easy-going writing style,  but, writer to writer -- never write "and more" or "etc." If it's important, spell it out, don't hint at it. If it's not important, why are you hinting at it? See how that works? 

Along those lines, there are technical reasons to say this, but it's advised not to open with salutations. That said, what meetings are you talking about?  I don't get what "Merry meetings, everyone!" refers to.

Next, you quickly say, "I enjoy designing memorable characters." It isn't wrong to say that --  it's important to sound friendly and gung-ho -- but a profile is a pseudo sales pitch, so it should be about what your customers enjoy, not what you enjoy. Along similar lines, you say you are looking to further yourself as a writer. Some will see that as you being new to this and, therefore, high risk. Others will simply think they are not here to help your career; you're supposed to be here to help them get a project done.

Again, you've got some personal affiliations posted at the end: "Autism / Neurotypical / LGTBQ+friendly." That's terrific, but, once more, you're thinking about yourself, not your clients. By itself, none of these things are deal breakers, but it begins to sound self-indulgent to say your enjoyment, your career, and your personal affiliations are what counts here,  expecially when you avoid writing about your clients altogether.

The standard here is to write two or three short paragraphs about your skills and your experience, then write two or thee longer paragraphs about your clients, telling them, essentially, you understand what they want. When someone thinks, "Hey, this guy understands my dilemna," you will be very close to getting the gig.

Finally ... no writing samples? How is that? 

Good luck.

b53032cc
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm reaching out to ask for your feedback on my Upwork profile. I believe hearing from experienced peers like you would be really helpful.

If you could take a few moments to check out my profile and share your thoughts, I'd really appreciate it. I'm particularly interested in any suggestions or advice you have on how I can make my profile showcase my skills and expertise better.

Your insights will be incredibly valuable in helping me refine my profile and succeed on Upwork. Thanks so much for your time and support.

Best regards,

Tseke Hector Bapela

Tseke,

You don't seem to understand how Upwork works.

Pay attention: Somebody who wants a copywriter will come to Upwork looking for one to hire. That person will then write a job posting that tells people they are looking for a copywriter. They then post that notice on Upwork. With that, they recieve proposals from writers -- mostly copywriters -- who want to be hired for that opportunity.

If this is the case (and it is) why do you spend 333 words (I counted) explaining to clients the benefits of employing a copywriter??????

They already know the benefits of hiring a copywriter or they wouldn't have come to Upwork looking for one.

I literally counted (cut and pasted and let the computer count) how many words you spend lecturing your clients on something they already know.

Let's say you wanted to buy a car. You go to a car dealership and the salesman comes out and gives you a lecture on why you need a car. Don't you think you would say, "I already know why I need a car. That's why I'm standing here."

You don't need to tell people why they need a copywriter. Your first 333 words in your profile could be seen as insulting. You should consider deleting all of that.

Good luck.

Thanks Anthony, I appreciate your feedback. You really helped me a lot.

f593c2ac
Community Member

Hello, amazing deal.
I need your comments.

celgins
Community Member

William,

I highly suggest removing the first sentence in your profile overview/summary:

"Hello! My name is William Woodruff, your go-to expert for innovative software solutions, based right here in the vibrant tech landscape of the United States."

Nothing in this sentence provides any value to clients. When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want this small space to include important words (i.e., your services, skills, and experience)--not greetings, names, locations, or any irrelevant information.

The other sections of your profile look good.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths