🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelan...
Page options
AndreaG

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

UPDATE: Check out the new Get Profile Feedback board!

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Note: A previous version of this post was closed as the number of responses made it difficult to read and navigate. If you had not received a response yet to a request you made, please post again in this thread.

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great news, everyone! 👏  Due to the overwhelming success of this thread, we've created an entire board dedicated to profile feedback. This allows each freelancer to start a dedicated thread requesting feedback which makes it easier to manage for all involved parties. Check out the new Get Profile Feedback board!

Due to the new board, we've blocked new replies on this post. If you're still waiting for feedback, please post a thread in the new board. 😁

Cheers,
Mike

View solution in original post

1,177 REPLIES 1,177

Hi Clark,

Thank you for taking the time to provide detailed feedback on my profile. I appreciate your insights and suggestions for improvement. I'll certainly make the necessary adjustments to enhance my profile's appeal to potential clients.

Regarding the title, I agree that streamlining it will make it more concise and impactful. I'll revise it accordingly to ensure clarity and relevance.

Your advice on the overview/summary makes sense, especially regarding the limited space for capturing clients' attention. I'll revise it to focus more on the services I offer and the value I can provide to clients.

I'll also ensure that my skills list accurately reflects my expertise in MERN Stack and Front-End Development, aligning it with the skills highlighted in my title and summary.

Lastly, I'll look into setting up a project catalog as per your recommendation to offer pre-packaged services to clients.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback and good wishes. I'll work on implementing these changes to improve my profile's effectiveness.

Best regards,
Akshat

36b34ef4
Community Member

Dear Upwork Community,

I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to kindly request your valuable input on my Upwork profile. As a dedicated professional striving for continuous improvement, I believe that constructive feedback from experienced peers can be incredibly beneficial.

If you have a moment, could you please review my profile and provide any insights or suggestions that could enhance my visibility and attractiveness to potential clients? Your expertise and perspectives are highly appreciated, as I aim to refine my presentation and service offerings.

Thank you for your help
Jan

celgins
Community Member

Hi Jan,

I looked through your profile and I think your overview/summary sounds good. You tell clients about your services and how you can help them, and the benefit they get by choosing you.

I recommend three additions to your profile:

1) Add Database Design Consultation and/or Database Design to your skills list. Both skill categories are relevant to your title and summary, and you want them to appear in your skills list as well. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

2) Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

3) You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Your certifications and employment history look great.

Good luck!

36b34ef4
Community Member

Hi Clark,

thank you for your review.

Kind regards,

Jan

5fb35953
Community Member

Great information!

b5ec174c
Community Member

this is my profile link .i am willing to hear your review and guides.
i have also a confusion like i have submitted 12+ proposals bt didn't get a job why 
did i do things wrong or unproffesional profile.
please guide me!
https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01ceee22787a76f0df?s=1017484851352698959

celgins
Community Member

Abdullah,

Twelve proposals may seem like a lot, but freelancers often have to send many more before winning their next job. Clients often do not review the profile if the proposal/cover letter does not convince them to click.

Here are a few tips for submitting proposals if you have not seee them already:

Be sure to see the profile review provided by Anthony here .

b5ec174c
Community Member

28c04584
Community Member

hello,

my available badge is onfrom last month but i,m not getting any impressions or clicks why?

Haris Maqsood
celgins
Community Member

Hello Haris,

Unfortunately, other freelancers cannot determine why your profile is not receiving impressions and clicks. The Availability badge is a signal to clients that you are ready for new work, but it does not guarantee impressions or clicks. Upwork says the Availability badge increases your chances of receiving 50% more invites, but only Upwork knows these statistics; many freelancers have not seen a jump in invites with the Availability badge turned on.

However, I recommend optimizing the first part of your profile overview/summary and maybe it will generate more clicks. Here is what I mean by optimizing it:

Remove this:

":rocket: Shopify VA, :magnifying_glass_tilted_left: Product Listing, :artist_palette: Shopify Design & Dropshipping Expert, :upwards_button: Shopify Uploading Expert"

and remove this:

"Hello Everyone! My name is Haris Maqsood"

Why? Because when clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want clients to see your services in this small space--not emojis, greetings, names, or repeating words from your title.

18c819c9
Community Member

Hello

I just created my profile, and I would appreciate if someone could check it and give me a feedback.

Thanks!

Giulia,

If you're just hoping something comes along, that write-up might work OK. But, generally speaking, that isn't a very focused or professional write-up. 

Freelancers are expected to be experts in a spedific field. They should know what they can do and can't do. They take their jobs very seriously, because their entire reputation rests on their own talents and integrity. On Upwork, if you get even one bad review, because you aren't taking this seriously, then your chances of finding other work go down considerably.

If you want some solid feedback, you have a sentence in which you forgot to capitalize English and Spanish and that seems to have a stray "e" just sitting there. That should be fixed.

Good luck.

celgins
Community Member

Hello Giulia,

Each area of your profile must be updated.

The first thing you should do is change your profile photo. The picture in your photo should be a close-up image of your head and shoulders that clearly shows your face. Read through Upwork's best practices for How to Choose A Good Profile Picture.

Profile titles and the overall profile should focus on a specific skill area or related skill areas. Being a sales assistant at LOFT 73 and a communications student are unrelated, and will be confusing to clients. Similarly, your overview/summary should focus on the services you can provide to clients. Do not list a bunch of hobbies or things that interest you--clients only care about the services you can provide, your experience providing those services, how your services will benefit them, and why they should hire you.

You also need to add a portfolio and add short job descriptions to each job in your employment history.

The biggest improvement you can make it to your summary. Once you focus your summary on the specific services you can provide, the clients on Upwork will have a better understanding of your services and how you can meet their needs or solve their problems.

b2d9dc21
Community Member

Dear Community Member, 

Kindly review my profile. Thank you!

celgins
Community Member

Hi Disha,

Be sure to see the review provided on 15 March 2024.

Thanks.

joyreacher
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to get some feedback on my profile. I'll be updating the portfolio section in the coming days but I'd like to get some input on the rest of my info/photo presentation.

Thank you! 🙏 

Brian,

That's not a profile. That's an advertisement. It's flashy as they come, which kind of gives me a headache, but those types of write-ups are not always ignored. (Not everyone has the same tastes I do.) I've seen at least one -- well, actually, only one, where that style seemed to be working well.  And maybe they will become the new norm. You never know.

Keep it for a while and see what happens. But if you want to write a profile that is much more memorable and organic and gives people a chance to warm up to you abit -- rather than decorating an unreliable list with splashy icons ... then look through other Upwork profiles and see what other styles are available.

Good luck.

daniel-melki
Community Member

Hello Upwork Community,

Could you spare a moment to check out my Upwork profile focused on structural engineering? I'd really appreciate any feedback you could offer to help me improve and attract the right clients.

Thanks a bunch!

Daniel

Daniel,

To start off, great photo. The background is terrific. 

But your write up  is not so good. You're a structural engineer and that's all you  have to say? That your vigilant? And responsive? 

Of course, it's nice to be vigilant and responsive, but clients are interested more in your services than your personality. As such, vigilant and responsive, generally speaking, should be the last thing you say or near the bottom, not near the top.

Beyond that ... c'mon, already. You have to describe your skills, your education, your work experience, the types of projects you can handle, the types of projects you've done before. You have to provide enough details to make it sound like, yes, this guy is telling the truth. You need specifics that back up your claims.

And you need confidence. If you don't have confidence in yourself, your clients or perspective clients won't have any confidence in you, either.

In that regard, what kind of doctor charges $7 per hour?  What kind of computer programmer charges $7 per hour? What kind of writer charges $7 per hour ... really, really unconfident, or untalented people charge $7 per hour.

Last I knew, structural engineers were pretty important and it takes a lot of college to become one. So, you are certainly worth more than $7 per hour.

Anyway, the way to pick a rate is to go through Upwork profiles and find other structural engineers and see what they charge. Look for five or six or more, then pick a rate that is just above average. Start with that.

I would suggest $40 per hour at the very least, but maybe your research will suggest something else.

Good luck.

Dear Anthony,

I wanted to express my gratitude for taking the time to review my Upwork profile. Your constructive feedback is greatly appreciated, and I assure you that I will take your comments into careful consideration.

Thank you once again for your support.

be30f557
Community Member

Hi Andrea!

I would absolutely appriciate any notes or suggestions you have about my upwork profile! I apply to many jobs, but seem to get looked over unfortunately.  Thank you so much for your time!

AnaLis

OK, you have two aunts named Ana and the other named Lisa. (Or maybe not.)

Anyway, your profile ... 

First of all, the narrative form is much better. So, when you get to a list like, "My skills include Social Media Marketing, Instagram and Tik Tok ..." you would be better off turning that into a narrative. "I am an expert social medea marker who has worked extensively with Instagram and Tikl Tok for a variety of clients with ____________________ types of postings .... etc."

I don't have the slightest idea what Instagram or Tik Tok looks like, so you'll have to write a more informed sentence than I can manage, but you get the idea. 

Nobody reads lists, even short ones. And, if they do read them (OK, some people read lists) they forget them. Turn your skills into a narrative and they become much more meaningful and memorable. Narratives have depth. Lists do not.

Here's a sentence that's wrong in two dimensions. "What sets me apart is not only my professional background, but my genuine love for social media." First of all, neither your background nor your love of social media is unique at all, so it doesn't really set you apart from anyone. Second, clients don't use that type of information to make their hiring decisions. Most people who do X love what they do, so clients aren't really looking for people who enjoy their work. They are looking for people who provide excellent service. So, that sentence should be replaced with information they could use, such as, "My clients have experienced an increase in brand awareness and greater returns on their marketing budget through targeted marketing ..." Again, I'm not well versed in what you do, but you should provide real, solid information that clients can use to make their decision .... and in a narrative form that will keep their interest, give them a chance to get to know you a bit and be easier to remember.

Lists of programs do not make you stand out. You being yourself makes you stand out. Other people can duplicate the knowledge you have, but nobody else can duplicate being you. If you don't write a narrative, you sound like everybody else and that will work -- but very, very slowly, because there are millions of others who do what you do. 

Those are the basics. If you get around to making changes of any kind, come on back and Clark or I (or a few others) will look at it again. 

Good luck.

taulutnpi
Community Member

Hello, 

Greetings!

Kindly review my profile

www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01e43486493e55d01f

Regards,

Washi

Hello Taulut,

I recommend optimizing the first part of your profile overview/summary by eliminating redundant text, and removing the greeting and emoji. When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space to get their attention. You want clients to see their goals (your services) in this small space--not greetings, emojis, or any unnecessary text.

Removing the emoji and unnecessary text leaves you with this, which sounds fine:

I'm a seasoned developer with over 7 years of hands-on experience across a spectrum of technologies, both server-side and client-side. My primary focus is on crafting clean. and minimalistic websites that resonate with both companies and individuals.

Everything else looks good.

You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Good luck!

238b5dc9
Community Member

ok

4e9a55a1
Community Member

Hello Upwork Community, 

Kindly help me review my profile. Here's the link https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01e70306e62a14b37b

Many thanks. 

celgins
Community Member

Hello Khadijat,

I see good information in your profile. I have only a few suggestions that might help improve it:

1) Your title might be more attractive if you eliminate unnecessary words. I recommend this: Admin Support | Data Entry & General Virtual Assistance

2) You might want to add a few more items to your portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

3) You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

The other areas of your profile look good.

okay

Okay

5122e76a
Community Member

Hi there.
Kindly review my profile.
Thanks
https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01376c35ca012d0a02

celgins
Community Member

Hi Ajinkya,

I think your profile will be less confusing to clients if you focus your main profile on a specific skill area or related skill areas. Translations, data science, and ecommerce are not related, and clients might not understand how you can help them.

I recommend creating one or two Specialized Profiles. Your main profile can focus on your translation services while one specialized profile can focus on data analysis and another specialized profile can focus on ecommerce website development.

Once your specialized profiles are creating, focus your main profile only on translation services. Use your summary to explain your translation/voice-over services, your experience providing translations/voice-overs, how you can meet client's needs, and why a client should choose you for translation/voice-over service. Use the same approach for both specialized profiles.

Once you make these updates, clients will have a better understanding of your services and how you can meet their needs or solve their problems.

Good luck!

5122e76a
Community Member

Thanks Clark for your valuable advise. Really appreciate it 🙂 Making these updates right away 

38ec75f0
Community Member

I want feedback to my profile. please😩😭

celgins
Community Member

Mukesh,

The first thing you should do is change your profile photo. The picture in your photo should be a close-up image of your head and shoulders that clearly shows your face. No other persons or images should appear in your picture. Read through Upwork's best practices for How to Choose A Good Profile Picture.

IMPORTANT: Remove the phone number and any contact information from your profile. This is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service and your account can be banned.

Capitalize the first letter of each word in your title; this will help it stand out: Data Entry Operator

Remove this: "Welcome to my Upwork profile!" from your overview/summary. Clients will see only the first 200-250 characters of your summary, and you do not want to waste space with unnecessary greetings. This small space should be used to reveal your services.

Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

If you have or had a job as a data entry professional (a job where you are paid), you should revise the job in your employment history and add a short job description.

87a56fc8
Community Member

Please some one review my profile and mention the problems in my profile 

celgins
Community Member

Muneeb,

Your profile does not have enough information to convince clients to hire you. To make your profile more appealing to clients, provide more information in your overview/summary. Clients do not care if you are a self-learner, new to freelancing, what you like to learn, or strive to achieve. Clients come to Upwork with specific needs and they look for freelancers who can get results.

Use your summary to give examples of the types of software applications you can build and your experience building them. Then, go further by providing information regarding these:

• Tell clients how you communicate and gather feedback during a project to ensure the final product meets their needs.
  • Talk about your attention to detail and how you maintain quality standards during the SDLC.
  • Do you provide unlimited revisions? Do you offer follow-up support after a web project is completed?
  • What stack do you use (MERN, MEAN, LAMP, etc.)?
  • Highlight any app development projects you have worked on and your accomplishments.
  • Talk about your ability to meet business challenges and adapt to changing or new requirements if necessary.

Clients looking for software engineers and developers will find hundreds of thousands of them on Upwork. The question is, do they have enough good reasons to choose you? The information you provide can help them better understand why they should hire you and how it will benefit them.

Add short job descriptions to each job in your employment history. A job description is especially important when the job is highly relevant to the services you provide on Upwork. Upwork uses keywords in job titles and descriptions to match you with relevant jobs.

Good luck!

e9b17ab0
Community Member

Hi,

Greetings!

Kindly review my profile and give me suggestion if anything need to improve..

Ebuka,

Your profile is very nicely done, except that it's all about you. Don't you think you should say a few words about your clients?

Every paragraph you wrote -- and it's very well written -- is "me, me, me, me, me, I, I, I, I, I." Where are the sentences that use the word "you"?

"I can fix YOUR problems." 

YOU will gain _________________ by hiring me."

The trick is that clients like to hire people who understand what their problem(s) is (or are). You don't even mention the client at all, so they're not going to get the idea that you understand them. Furthermore, if you only write about yourself, clients will think that's all you care about.

Add some sentences that focus on the clients instead of yourself.

Hey Anthony,
Can you please review my profile I'll be very thankful to you. I got 2, 4, 6 views on daily basis but I got no views on my profile from the last 3 daysimage_2024-03-19_221956130.png

Suhaib Ansari
9f010bbd
Community Member

Hello,

I trust you are doing great.

I would like to kindly request your assistance in reviewing my profile, I believe your feedback will be instrumental in helping me improve my professional profile. I have set my profile to public visibility.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths