🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelan...
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Hi New Upwork Freelancers!

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The Community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Cheers,
Mike
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,582 REPLIES 3,582

Stefan, you have a great start. A couple suggestions: 1. Upwork profile is different than a Tinder or Bumble profile. It is about services you offer and your professional skills. Your choices as a person (hobbies, food etc) are not quite relevant. Consider updating your profile from that perspective. 2. Keep the camera at eyelevel and then take a picture. Given COVID-19 safety measures if it is possible in your location, ask a professional photographer to take a headshot. That is a good investment for the next five years. 3. You already have an excellent on-going job. Ask the client for a mid-contract feedback. (Sometimes a contract goes well for a long time but ends on a sour note and that's no fault of yours. For a job with 2K+ earnings, it is will ruin your future prospects if you get a poor feedback.) Apply aggressively to get few other contracts. 

Good luck, I am sure you will get several projects on this platform.    

Thank you very much Aditi, I will get a more professional profile picture.
I still dont understand why my profile views are at zero.
filacek22
Community Member

Me, please 🙂

I know that i should change the profile pic

Jakub F wrote:

Me, please 🙂

I know that i should change the profile pic

Hi Jakub, you are an established freelancer and finding work. So I don't have much to say on your profile, it seems to be working for you. I would look at the scores you got that were less than 5 stars. On both of them you got either a 3 or 4 for deadlines. This is an easy thing to fix because meeting deadlines just means managing your time to complete tasks on time. The best thing for you would be to improve your JSS, which is pretty good but can be better. So making sure you meet deadlines is one way you can get better scores. I would also suggest you look at the breakdown of those few that are less than 5 stars and see if you can determine, based on your knowledge of the project, what wasn't perfect for the client and improve in those areas. 

johnalimedia
Community Member

Please go through my profile. I'd love any and all suggestions!

Greetings All! Hope everyone is fine. I am new to upwork but, not new to video editing! I have an experience of 5 years and for the past whole year I have been working on fiverr. I was doing very great over there. I would need some professional guidance here with my profile, if someone could take a look at and could help me out making it better. Thankyou

Kind Regards,

Ahmed M.

here is the link to my profile,

https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/~018b9f3df92bd09315/

Don't use uppercase for every letter. 

Put the most important things at the start of the description. People have a limited attention span.
Trim the description removing obvious or unneeded info. Surely you do "amazing" videos, that's the point of your profession if you do "bad" or "mediocre".

"High video quality"  - What is the exact "quality"? Resolution? Codec?
"I AM 24/7 ACTIVE" - no human being is capable of that.

There's a lot of genres out there. What do you have experience doing.

Give a descriptive title to "video 2" in the portfolio.

You need to add more details about what you can do. The profile is a generic "I can do everything for the lowest price, highest quality and shortest time". But we all know people can deliver only on 2 of those qualities at the same time.

Thank you so much for such a detailed feedback! Really appreciate it. Will fix it right away!
vicksernips
Community Member

Hello, i am new on upwork. I would appreciate any profile feedback from an experienced freelancer and also a few tips on how to write a proposal. thank you.

Victoria G wrote:

Hello, i am new on upwork. I would appreciate any profile feedback from an experienced freelancer and also a few tips on how to write a proposal. thank you.

Hi Victoria,

Welcome to Upwork!

Thanks for your message. I'm Upwork Success Partner and an independent professional on Upwork for more than 6 years, and I'll be happy to share a few tips on how you can improve the marketability of your profile:

1. I noticed your profile isn't complete and I encourage you to have a 100% complete profile. Here are a few tips that might help you achieve this:

• Add additional skill tags. At this time you only have 7 skill tags and are allowed up to 10! Having the right skill tags, might help you show up in relevant search results
  • Add a recent employment history item. If you don't have a recent employment history, consider adding your business as an individual professional as one line item. It might also be helpful to add relevant details to your employment history to help prospective clients understand your background. Some types of information you could include here are information about your duties, if you worked independently or with a team, and/or major accomplishments
  • Add portfolio items. Your portfolio gives you the opportunity to impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. If the type of work you deliver is process-based instead of visual, consider adding items to your portfolio using the Case Study template. This template is designed for you to show off the analysis, process, or methodology you used in the project. Include relevant information about the challenge, your approach, project goals, and screenshots if possible. That way, you can show the client how you contributed to past projects and the solutions implemented.

2. Take the Upwork Readiness Test. Passing the test is required to be eligible for the Rising Talent program. If you need additional background before taking the test, read this help article.

3. A few additional tips that might help you extra polish your profile:

• Your profile overview is short compared to the average and therefore it is difficult to understand what are your key skills and services and how you can help clients achieve their goals. Help them understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way.  For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about. Here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview
  • Since you are new to Upwork, I suggest that you request and post testimonials from your previous work experience/clients to showcase your skills and abilities to attract attention to your profile.  It is a great way to vouch for your background and shows clients that you are reliable and experienced
  • Currently, you don't have specialized profiles. To ensure all of your expertise is captured using the features of specialized profiles, you might want to add one. Specialized profiles allow you to display more specific skills, deliverables, and more – and help power better search results and job recommendations. When clients filter their search results by specialty, only freelancers who have relevant specialized profiles will appear. 

I encourage you to visit the Upwork Events page for past and upcoming educational events. It might help you learn more about how to get started and be successful on Upwork.

As for your question on how to write proposals, you might want to listen to the Proposals That Sell recorded webinar that might help you understand how to write custom-tailored proposals and grab the client's attention.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Dafina C. | Upwork Success Partner

485425d9
Community Member

How to get more projects?

sumanfl
Community Member

Hi Dhrumil,

Actully there is no rules about how to get more jobs. You should complete your profile with 100% and try to touch every section mentioned by Upwork. One more thing, you should send proposal everyday to get response. Best of luck. Thank You.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hey,

I'm a new freelancer in the process of a setting up a profile. I'd appreciate an honest feedback on what I've done so far. Thank you for taking the time to help.

Hello Chiedozie,

I have seen your profile. I think your profile is not approved yet. To do this 1st of all you should complete your profile with 100%. Try to touch every single section mentioned by Upwork which includs project catelog, any certificate if you have etc. One more thing try to add a testimonial from your previous company. It will help your client's trust level. Best of luck.

Thank You

Hi Chiedozie,

Feel free to check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

You can also visit our Resource Center and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

I hope this helps and good luck!

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
485425d9
Community Member

Thanks for your reply Sir 

I hope your answer will help me move forward.

tayooyadiji
Community Member

Pls I need this. I will appreciate if I can get a feedback

Hi Oyadiji,

I have seen your profile. It should require more implements to your profile. Complete your profile with 100% and get verified by Upwork. And try to touch every section mentioned by Upwork. One more thing, try to add testimonial by approching your previous employer (if you have). It will help you to increase your trust level to the clients. Best of Luck.

Thank You

Suman B.

sunraisfashion
Community Member

I would like that.

Pamela, your profile reads well. Consider creating a specialized profile for one of the skills (copy writing, perhaps?) and tailor the overview section accordingly. Next, consider adding a portfolio. It is almost impossible to compete without a portfolio these days. (I have been here for ~6 years and I too feel the need of updating portfolio.). Lastly, is it possible to get some testimonials? 

Good luck, with some diligence and persistence, your profile has the potential earn a rising talent badge. 

alyssa1990
Community Member

Would love feedback please and thank you!

Alyssa C wrote:

Would love feedback please and thank you!

Alyssa, please make your profile public so we can review it. 

richiemiller
Community Member

Hi, 

I just joined Upwork, it's really nice & smooth. Is there anybody who could give a quick check on my upwork account? I worked on it for hours and days and I would really appreciate some feedback. 

Thank you very much.

Hi Richard, forgive me for being straight to the point. I offer advice between projects. 

1. Lose the first line of your profile text. The first two lines are golden real estate and leaving this bullet question there doesn't help. 

2. LOse the sentence about being new to Upwork. It's a turn off to clients and makes you a target to scammers. 

3. Move your second paragraph up, and put that first paragraph minus the new to Upwork statements at the end. 

4. Get rid of the quotes in your profile text and request real testimonials from the people who said that. 

5. Consider adding a specialized profile or a project in project catalog if you do different kinds of services like logo design/branding versus other graphic design tasks. 

Hope this helps! 

Hi Amanda, 

I'm so greateful for your efforss, thank you for the feedback. Chuck adjusted my profile according to that. In the meantime I'm working on getting testimonials in my upwork profile. 

If you have a minutes for that, you can check it if it's more or less looks good now 🙂 Also I will update my projects/catalog. 

Wish you the best day, 

R

d664988c
Community Member

Kindly help provide feedback on my profile.

Hi Olufemi,

Thanks for your message. I have reviewed your profile and have few tips for you:

• Your profile is 90% complete and I encourage you to have it 100% complete. You can check this article for some guidelines on how to do that. 
  • Take the Upwork Readiness Test. The test is required for getting a Rising Talent badge, once you become eligible. If you need additional background before taking the test, read this help article
  • Your profile overview is short compared to the average. Consider crafting it as a pitch to prospective clients. Be clear on your expertise and try to concisely explain what you can do, how you do it, and for what type of business/client. Don't just talk about yourself and your skills, but include a paragraph to explain how you can help the clients.
  • You only have 7 skill tags and are allowed up to 10. Having the right skill tags can help you appear in search more
  • I encourage you to add portfolio items as it gives you the opportunity to impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. To help you look your best, consider showcasing 4+ examples of your best work. Learn more about building a great portfolio here.
  • Add recent employment history item. If you don't have a recent employment history, consider adding your business as an individual professional as one line item. 

I hope this is helpful!

I recommend visiting the Upwork Events page. There are great past (recorded) and upcoming profile makeover webinars that can help you better understand how to position yourself and make your profile more marketable. 

Best,

Dafina C. | Upwork Success Partner

batcholazare
Community Member

I appreciate this and it will help me a lot. I am struggling to find my first job

nmmuthoni
Community Member

Dear members,

I just joined upwork and looking forward to this new venture. As a beginner, I will appreciate feedback on my profile.

Thanks in advance.

Muthoni

Hello Danas,

I have seen your profile, and as per my opinion your profile should require to add more details to get 100% complete. After that you should need to approve your website from Upwork. Try to touch every section mentioned by Upwork. And also try to get a testimonial from your previous employer. It would be better to built your trust level to clients. Best of Luck. Thank You

Suman B.

potialo
Community Member

Help me improve my profile

aditipie
Community Member

Sure, Polline. Here are a few suggestions: 1. Consider adding several items to your portfolio. You are in a competitive field. Without a decent portfolio, it is difficult to gain traction. 2. Consider checking from grammar and typos on customer service profile. There is a weird hyperlink for 'services.in'. Also, instead of 'any tasks' in the end, start with the services you offer e.g."I offer XYZ, ABC services for clients in PQR industry." 3. If you offer call support, potential clients would be interested in knowing your conversation skills. Consider adding a one minute introduction video.

Good luck, I think with some effort you will do quite well on this platform.    

potialo
Community Member

Thank you so much for the feedback. much appreciated

Hi Polline,

Thanks for posting in the Community! I took a look at your profile, and here are a few helpful tips:

• I notice you have 6 skill tags, and you could have 10! Skill tags help showcase your expertise and appear in relevant search results. Pro tip: Watch the skill tags clients are using on the projects you’re interested in to help you choose the most relevant ones.

• Great job of adding 1 portfolio item! Your portfolio gives you the opportunity to show prospective clients real-life examples of your skills and expertise. To show the clients how you can help them, consider showcasing 4+ examples of your best, most recent work. Check out this article to learn about best practices for building a great portfolio.

• I noticed you don’t have anything listed in your employment history. I suggest adding relevant details to your employment history to help clients understand your background (both on and off Upwork). It might help to focus on projects or roles that are related to the type of projects you want. Consider adding a brief description about responsibilities and examples of accomplished projects for each role. If you have any long-term projects, I suggest you list them as it shows your experience and loyalty to clients. It also establishes your credibility as an independent professional. If you don’t have employment history, consider adding your career as an independent professional as one line item, with a brief description summarizing your focus.

Let us know if you need more help!

Best,
Nadja

dd63c576
Community Member

Hi Greats,

Can you please scrutinize my Upwork profile and give me suggestions for improvements? 

Albeit, it is 100% complete and I have Rising Talent Badge and other good things but still i couldn't get any job after spending 140 connect points. Can you gimme a push to start my career here? 

ea668e2e
Community Member

I have been on Upwork now for about a year. It took me some time to really develope a good proposal process and responcess to quiestions. I am now working on developing my profile to be more apealing. I would love feed back on how it is laid out and some of the projects we have on our page. I thank you for as much constructive critisizem that you can give.

Letizia

Hi Letizia, 

You are lucky to get jobs with such a profile. Wish you best of luck **Edited for Community Guidelines**

8d732837
Community Member

I'm going to complete a month on upwork, and I feel a little frustrated because I have worked very hard on my profile and on the proposals and I have only managed to get one contract out of 50 proposals that I have sent; I don't feel like buying more connects. And I feel I need a second opinion to see what is going on.

Lina Maria, your profile reads well and does not require any major changes. You could look at jobs in your field an try to fine tune accordingly. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths