🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How can I ask the client questions about a po...
Page options
arzuhy
Community Member

How can I ask the client questions about a potential job?

Dear All,

could you please support me and tell me how I can ask the client questions about a potential job before I make any proposal?

This is a general question, not about a specific job.

It is not possible to see the clients contact details on the job description site.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Arzu

7 REPLIES 7
versailles
Community Member

@Arzu H wrote:

how I can ask the client questions about a potential job before I make any proposal?

You can't. They made it that way on purpose so clients don't get flooded with spam. You will have to send a proposal.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

In trying to find out if a job is worth my time to apply, sometimes it would be nice to be able to ask questions.  For example, there is a job I might like to do, but the hourly rate is posted as $3.50.  That can't be right, can it?  It also says "19 hires, 8 active" but only "$209 total spent"?

Maybe they are hiring people in countries where this makes sense?

prestonhunter
Community Member

Arzu:

You may ask clients any questions you have in your proposal letter.

Sending a proposal DOES NOT COMMIT you to anything. It simply begins a conversation with the client. If you ask questions and find out that the job is not right for you, that is okay. You do not need to do the job if you don't want to.

You don't get client contact information before sending a proposal. You don't need it. If you send a proposal, your proposal goes to the client. Don't worry about client contact information.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Arzu H wrote:

Dear All,

could you please support me and tell me how I can ask the client questions about a potential job before I make any proposal?

This is a general question, not about a specific job.

It is not possible to see the clients contact details on the job description site.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Arzu

You may find a lot of job postings that are vague in description and make you want to ask questions. As that is not possible, only thing you can do is evaluate if you want to spend 2 connects to ask the question, which could lead to an answer, an interview, a job, or nothing, or move on. 

re: "For example, there is a job I might like to do, but the hourly rate is posted as $3.50. That can't be right, can it?"

Why can't that be right?

That is higher than Upwork's minimum, and a lot higher than what people typically get paid in many parts of the world.

If you are interested in a job, submit a proposal and quote any rate you want. You are not obligated to base your rate on anybody else's rate or suggestions.

$3.50 per hour? What is the minimum on UpWork?
Thank you,
Darci

re: "What is the minimum on UpWork?"

Previously (in oDesk days) there was no minimum. Now: The minimum allowable hourly rate on Upwork is $3.00/hour.

This only applies to hourly contracts. The minimum amount for a fixed-price contract is $5.00. Fixed-price contracts are for a deliverable, not for time. (So if I contract to do a fixed-price contract for $5.00, and it only takes me 1 minute to do, it means I'm being paid $300/hour. If it takes me 5 hours to do, it means I'm paid $1/hour. The amount of time it takes does not matter.)

See this page:

Minimum Hourly Rates

Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 6.57.13 PM.png

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths