🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How do you screen your clients?
Page options
801ea7fb
Community Member

How do you screen your clients?

As a very busy web developer I do not have time for games. I had to jump through many hoops to prove I am a ligitimate programmer. What steps do you take to verify that the people that post jobs on your platform are in fact real?

I spent 2 hours last night interviewing and decided that the client is a con. I have never had these issues before on other platforms. Even have never had trouble using my local Craigslist. After the research I have just finished on upwork, this platform appears to be a breeding ground for cons.

Is there any plans to curtail this or am I wasting my time here?

2 REPLIES 2
wescowley
Community Member

It really shouldn't take more than a few minutes to recognize most scams. If you haven't read this, it will probably help: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/List-of-red-flags-for-scams/m-p/1017044#M158742

801ea7fb
Community Member

I appreciate the reply Wes and agree.

However, I did read that very link along with a lot of other discussion regarding scam clients. My point is that being this website is chock full of some of the best web developers in the world and yet here we are still fighting through tons of fake BS job postings. Don't you think that the fine people at upwork could perhaps do a little bit better with their platform?

Should we just accept that this is just the way it is? This to me is more of a red flag of upwork as a platform. I am hoping that a reply from upwork will be forth coming and it say something along the lines of we agree that this is a problem and unacceptible and are implementing a solution soon.

Upwork?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths