🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How to not get banned as a web developer
Page options
6f8a536c
Community Member

How to not get banned as a web developer

Well, I try to start my freelance career as a web developer but I have growing anxiety of been banned for sharing something whit the client that can violate Upwork rules for example:

- This is my web portfolio  **Edited for Community Guidelines** as long as I understand I can't share it whit the client because it has a contact form but if I create a new portfolio widout the contact information can I upload it to a subdomain like upwork.*****.com and give it to a client? and if not can I use Github pages?

- Github: I did read that I can't have a Github link on my portfolio projects but if a client asks for it I can share it and I can add it to the proposals for example if I send a pdf portfolio then there I can have the GitHub links is that right? 

- Github 2: In GitHub, you can have your Twitter account linked and your website but as long as I understand if I want to share it with the client I can't have them set right?

- Figma: can I have the links to the Figma files in the portfolio?

- Projects: at the moment in my portfolio I have a big Real Estate app that I did for a company and to show my work I created a test mode of that app  **Edited for Community Guidelines** can I give this to the client in Upwork if I check that there are no links to my social media but I have contact forms in the show app or I need to disable the contact forms in the app? if not can I give my client's domine where the app is running **Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Mykhaylo,

Thank you for following up. Yes, sharing a portfolio and GitHub is allowed. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
LuiggiR

Hi Mykhaylo,

Thank you for reaching out to us. You can share links to external portfolios. Portfolios are an important part of a freelancer’s bidding process to show off their past work and their potential to complete a future project. That is why we are not prohibiting the sharing of external links to personal portfolios or other websites that provide examples of past work.

We recognize that some of these links might include contact information and ways to identify and contact you outside of the Upwork platform. When you share these outside links, please remind potential clients to only communicate with you through Upwork until a contract is in place. Please check this help article for more details about sharing your information on Upwork.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
6f8a536c
Community Member

Thanks for your quick response Luiggi.

I just read the article you recommended to me.

Can you please confirm me if I include these three lines in my proposals I will not be banned:

/* ---------------------------- */

- Portfolio: https://www.*****.com/ 
- GitHub: https://github.com/* ****
* Dear client please only contact me via Upwork until a contract is in place.

/*----------------------------*/

Thanks for your help!

Hi Mykhaylo,

Thank you for following up. Yes, sharing a portfolio and GitHub is allowed. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths