🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I am new to UpWork, but not new to freelancin...
Page options
68018d11
Community Member

I am new to UpWork, but not new to freelancing. I have had no responses! I need help.

I am new to UpWork, but not new to freelancing. I have had no responses! I need help. I have applied to 20-30 jobs and have not even had anyone look at my profile.  I have plenty of examples of work and have an excellent work history.  Am I missing something simple?

8 REPLIES 8
jaybopp82
Community Member

No not really.  It just takes persistence and a nicely worded proposal to land a job.  It can take months to get your first.  Hang in there, it'll eventually happen if you don't give up!

Thanks, Jason! 

Don't ever fall into the trap of believing it should take months to win work.  LeAnn: sharpen up your profile. Razor sharp.  Get yourself into the right categories that take your level of experience to engage within. Then reach out with your skills into a world that, in fact, cannot easily compete with you --  and kick the you-know-what out of your competitors.  Now.  Not two months from now.  Do it now.  Win work now.  Focus on that.

robin_hyman
Community Member

Hey LeAnne!

Welcome to Upwork!  I'm a fellow content writer and saw this job post for a content writer in the NC area:

https://www.upwork.com/ab/find-work/4608514/details/~01fb906e35d24de4cc

Additionally, here are some pointers regarding applying to projects:

* Apply if hire rate > 50%

* Apply if # of proposals are < 10

* Consider # of connects compared to budget (it just might not be worth to apply)

* Read both freelancer and client reviews.  If they are all negative...run away

* Make sure every proposal submitted is customized and address the client's needs

I would also post a few more examples of your work, preferably those that are published.  Other recommendation is to follow the Freelancing Females and Freelance Content Marketing Writers Facebook groups (if you haven't done so already).

Keep at it!

Hi Robin! Thank you so much! I applied for that post this morning.  They are several hours from me, but still possible if they only need an occasional meeting. Thank you so much for your feedback!! I will keep chipping away!

I had my first client respond and offer me a writing opportunity today!! YAY for progress!

Congratulations! 

Another tip that's not obvious from the FL side: clients only see the first 1-2 lines of your cover letter unless they click it open. Use that real estate to slow them down enough to open it.

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Hello.  I, too, am content writer.  I bring some experience to share. 

(To note, were one to check: I keep my profile private for a variety of reasons.)  I mention that simply to note this counsel is coming from a 7-year-experienced Upwork content writer. The rest of the stats are sizeable. That embarrassing introduction now completed.

Blog writing is one of the hardest categories to win work in. 
The Upwork system has a large number of freelancers in this work venue.  Your rate is "high" compared to many young U.S.-based writers trying to gain a toehold in the system.  Then, there are offshore writers, who commonly charge $7 to $15 an hour.  There are decent to good ones, and they simply live in different economic zones.  A stronger market at your price point is website content writing.  Another would be business information and marketing-sales "one pagers".  Can you adapt your skills to this content venue?  Surely so.  You have a journalism degree and real-world business experience of importance.

Your portfolio is job-losing weak. 
You have two portfolio pieces.  The first is an unformatted Word doc that exhibits no characteristics that often enthuse prospective clients.   This is strong: https://www.thepamlicoporch.com/blog/2018/11/30/bqazeaw1rk2k7an00syyvu9v6ch04w  I love your writing style.  Quietly beautiful. Wish I could write like that. That related, do you have more blog or formatted/illustrated pieces to share by URL?  Your portfolio would be far stronger if you would put up 5, 10, 20...

Upwork is stocked wide and deep with content developers.  Yet you have a journalism degree, real-world business experience of importance, and an obviously gifted writing style.  $35 an hour is a good deal for that portfolio of experience and expertise.

Improve your portfolio.  Assume blogging work will be sparse to none.  Branch out into high-end marketing materials development.  At your price point, you would clean my clock at $75 an hour for mid-tier writing work wins. 

John.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths