🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I didn't receive a text message verification ...
Page options
danielle_kress
Community Member

I didn't receive a text message verification code

**Edited to Update - this thread has been closed from further replies due to its size.**

I pushed the verify phone number button and have yet to receive my verication code. Will someone from the admin team please contact me. 

2,981 REPLIES 2,981
alexandrusanda
Community Member

I cannot finish my profile because I don't have a UK phone number and I cannot change the prefix.

Hi Ioan Alexandru,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
216aeddb
Community Member

When I enter my phone number I get the message that the number is used by another account and to please enter another one. This is my phone number. I cannot complete my application. Please advise.

Hi Shadila,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly and assist you further in completing the phone verification process. Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
romersandra
Community Member

Building a profile for the 1st time.

Unable to receive the confirmation text which appears necessary in order to submit profile for review.

I have tried numerous resends, restarted my phone etc. and I am still not getting the necessary text.

Country code and # entered are correct.

Thank you for reaching out to us, Sandra.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Bojan,

I am experiencing the same problem with regards to not receiving the verification text message to complete my profile.

Many thanks,

Karen

Hi Karen,

One of our Customer Support agents will reach out to you as well and assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
alexa_sagon
Community Member

I am having the same issue. Tried on different devices and still not working. 

Hi Alexa,

I just checked this for you and it looks like you were able to successfully verify your phone number. Feel free to reach back to us if you still need any assistance, we're here to help!

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
zoeydan
Community Member

Hi, I am trying to help my husband to sign up for an account. But he cannot do it just because both of us are using the one phone number. I have used it for my account, so it does not allow him to use the same phone number. I am wondering if anyone can fix it and allow him to use the same number as me?

petra_r
Community Member

Zoey Z wrote:

Hi, I am trying to help my husband to sign up for an account. But he cannot do it just because both of us are using the one phone number. I have used it for my account, so it does not allow him to use the same phone number. I am wondering if anyone can fix it and allow him to use the same number as me?

No, he'll have to get his own phone, or at least his own number (get a second SIM card)

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Zoey, 

It would be best if your husband can reach out directly to the Customer Support Team so that he can be assisted further regarding this concern. 

~ Avery
Upwork
jaizhang97
Community Member

Hi, I am trying to open an account but cannot do it just because my wife and me are using the one same phone number. She has used it for her account, so it does not allow me to use the same phone number. I am wondering if anyone can fix it and allow me to use the same number as her?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jai, 

A member of the Customer Support Team will reach out to you to assist you with your concern. 

~ Avery
Upwork
hallsarah90
Community Member

I made an Upwork account a long time ago and didn't get approved. I no longer have that email address so I created a new Upwork account with my new email address.

Unfortunately it has remembered my old phone number from last time (it says that phone number is already in use) so it won't let me submit my profile. I only have 1 phone number so not sure what I can do. 

I tried to go back on my old Upwork account one and change the email on there to my new one but of course it says that email is in use by another account because I just created a new one. 

Hi Sarah,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your phone number. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
oktayka
Community Member

I am trying to create Profile. I entered all my background and my address successfully, then I clicked the "Continue" button and in "Set a security phone number" popup I entered my phone UK GSM number and clicked "Verify Phone Number" button. But it threw an error message like that:  "You failed to verify this phone number. Please provide a different number." You can find screen capture as attached.

How can I solve this problem.

Thank you so much for your help.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Oktay.

~ Bojan
Upwork
riamaginedesign
Community Member

I am new to upwork, and just created my account. When I got to the phone number verification step, it said that my phone number was already in use. I had checked every e-mail I own to see if I had created an account prior to this one, and none of them were registered. I was wondering if this way a way to fix this, since I can't create an account without my phone number verification. Has anyone else run into this issue or knows how to fix it?

I would appreciate the help!

Thanks,
Maria

Hi Maria, 

I'll go ahead and forward your concern to the Customer Support Team so that they can assist you with your concern. 

~ Avery
Upwork
thomamrhein
Community Member

I am trying to verify my phone number in order to create an account but every time I try to send the code it says I failed to authenticate and asks for a different number even though it never sent me a code at all. What should I do? I am not outside the United States.

Hi Thomas, 

I apologise for the inconvenience this has caused you. A member of the Customer Support Team will reach out to you to assist you further with your concern. 

~ Avery
Upwork
jthomasart
Community Member

Hello, 

While trying to complete my profile, I am asked to verify my phone number.

When I click "Verify" I get the following message:

" You failed to verify this phone number. Please provide a different number."

I cannot find any way to get around this.   Please assist.

Thanks

Jen

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Jennifer.

~ Bojan
Upwork
ktanner5
Community Member

I'm trying to sign up for an account but when I get to the phone number verify part, it says my phone number is already in use by another account and to use a different one. I don't have a different one to use. What do I do? (I think I signed up for this years ago, but don't know how to access that old account if I did.)

Hi Kim,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process. Thank you!

Update: Hi Kim, did you try to create a new account? Could you please share more information? Our team is currently reviewing the issue you have with phone verification. You can also PM me by clicking on my name. Thanks again.

~ Joanne
Upwork
f2524203
Community Member

I'm newly registered and looking for freelance work. I am British but travel and do work on the move, I do not have a UK mobile phone number which the registration process is forcing so I cannot get past the registration phone verification step to receive a text. Is there an alternative way I can verify my account? I have a foreign mobile but cannot change the country code. I can prove my identity and address for tax and residential purposes no problem but odd I cannot register because of not having a UK Mobile!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jaimie,

Please note that your Country should reflect the one you're physically located in. Would you still like to proceed with the UK location verification?

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
f2524203
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

Thank you for your reply. On my profile setup and location step I am unable to change the country from United Kingdom (it's greyed out), is it possible to delete my account so I can re-start the application process?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jaimie,

Please be reminded that Upwork does not allow users to have multiple accounts. Let us know which country would you like to reflect on your account as your location. We’d be happy to update it for you.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
f2524203
Community Member

Thank you Bojan, please update it to Philippines?

Kind Regards,

Jaimie

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jaimie, 

I have updated your account's location to the Philippines as requested. 

~ Avery
Upwork
vratika09
Community Member

In phone verification
When I add my country code for example India(91)
Then i add my number
It says"reply in digits "
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kritika, 

When you type in your phone number, please omit any dash or space, and proceed with typing your number such as "1234567890." Please also try logging in to your Upwork account through a browser to see if the issue persists. 

~ Avery
Upwork
clementine_
Community Member

I'm not receiving any verification code via text or phone call when I try to verify my number. Therefore I can't submit any job proposals.. 

I've checked the number a thousand times and it's definitely correct. When I try to submit a request to upwork help, it doesn't show up in my "requests" either, so I don't know if it's going through.

Help please!

Have you done the verification with UpWork support yet? You usually have to do a video chat with somebody to verfiy your account before you can submit job proposals.

as far as i know , phone verification is only required if a clint request it to upwork and upwork send you option to verify it . 

there is no other option to verify phone number without support help .

and have you cmpleted video call verification yet ?

thank you 

When I click "submit proposal" on any job, it shows me this screen. I haven't seen any option for a video call verification

Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 6.52.15 pm.png

Hi Clementine,

We've removed the phone verification request which was sent a few years ago and you should be able now to proceed with building your profile and submitting proposals.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths