🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » New to Freelance
Page options
7644bb36
Community Member

New to Freelance

Hey all!

Excited to be here. I've worked in the business operations space for almost 10 years but venturing out into freelance now. Any advice on ways to get started, things you've learned along the way, or a look at my profile are greatly appreciated. Open to all input/feedback. 

thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
f2f6e690
Community Member

Hello Erica D,

Welcome to the Upwork community!

It's great to have you here and I'm glad to hear that you're excited to start your freelance journey. As an expert freelancer and community member, I can assure you that this is a supportive and helpful community that is always willing to share advice and offer feedback.

Starting out as a freelancer can be overwhelming, but don't worry, we've all been there. My advice would be to focus on building a strong profile that showcases your skills and experience, and to be strategic about the projects you bid on.

Take the time to research the clients and projects you're interested in, and tailor your proposals to show how you can provide value and solve their problems. And don't be afraid to ask questions or seek out mentorship from other freelancers who have been in the game for a while.

Above all, be patient and persistent. Freelancing can take time to build up, but with hard work and dedication, you can achieve your goals.

Once again, welcome to the community! I look forward to seeing your contributions and successes on Upwork.

Best regards

Usama I.

abu_ansarul-mush
Community Member

Congratulations on taking the first step towards freelancing! Here are some tips to help you get started:

1. Define your niche: Determine what services you will offer as a freelancer and identify your target clients. You should have a clear idea of your expertise and the specific problems you can solve for your clients.
  2. Build your portfolio: As a new freelancer, you may not have much work experience in your portfolio. You can start by offering your services to friends or family members, or even offering pro bono work to non-profit organizations to build your portfolio.
  3. Create a professional profile: Your profile should showcase your skills, expertise, and experience. Be sure to highlight your unique selling points, such as certifications or previous successful projects.
  4. Build your network: Connect with other freelancers, join relevant online groups or forums, and attend events in your industry. This will help you to build relationships, learn from others, and potentially gain new clients.
  5. Price your services appropriately: Determine your hourly rate or project fee based on your experience, market rates, and the value you bring to your clients. Avoid pricing yourself too low, as it may not only devalue your services but also make it difficult to earn a sustainable income.
  6. Stay organized: As a freelancer, you'll need to manage your own time, finances, and projects. It's important to develop good habits and establish processes to ensure you stay organized and deliver high-quality work to your clients.

Good luck with your freelancing journey!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths