🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Proposal declined
Page options
586867c6
Community Member

Proposal declined

I am relatively new to Upwork and just had a rather odd experience. First, allow me to say that I've taught English at the university level for many years and possess editing experience. I'm also a published author and know what I'm doing. However, I just got declined for not following instructions on a job posting. I have never been accused of not following instructions before in my life. This is an untruth and unethical of the client to make this false claim. I understand if they prefer someone else (clearly that's their prerogative); however, being declined over a falsehood is quite dicey. Lack of honesty is simply unprofessional. When I first sent the proposal, the client responded, asking if I'd be willing to do a sample edit. Of course I said yes. She never got back to me. I then saw the posting again, indicating to all that she had accidentally deleted the first one. I then submitted the exact same proposal. Subsequently, she declined my proposal, making the false claim that I had not followed the instructions of the job posting. I responded to her and politely inquired what happened, so that I could learn for the future. This was unethical of her, and perhaps I dodged a bullet. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
colettelewis
Community Member

I think what probably happened is that the client asked all the prospective candidates to do a free sample edit (It is against Upwork's ToS to ask for free work), and one of them reported her to Upwork.  Her post is likely to have been removed, or she would have been asked to edit it - hence the "accidental" deletion.  The reasons given for refusing you are probably just given in a list, and she may simply have clicked on one randomly. 

Never question a client's motives. Whatever reason they give, is the one they believe. If you call them out on it, it won't advance your case, and will simply annoy them. It would be interesting though to see if your (almost) client actually hired anyone for the job. It can sometimes be galling, but it is best to simply move on. 

[By the way, although generally inadvisable,  it is not against UW's rules and regs for a freelancer to do free work, but it must be voluntarily offered.  I will sometimes do a sentence translation or a  very small sample edit if the client shows some of the text to be worked on. But I only do this, if I don't have a sample in my portfolio  (not shown with my profile) that is similar to the client's work.]

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
luqman_mak
Community Member

you Neo'd the proverbial bullet for sure.
Some clients use that tactic to get you feeling low and then take advantage what follows - you wanting to reedeem your honour
Well, next time it happens, you dont really have to apply again as you would spend your connects twice.
Welcome to the online job market 🙂

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Most clients never decline proposals.

Those who do might use a random reason. 

Nothing to get all worked up about. 

colettelewis
Community Member

I think what probably happened is that the client asked all the prospective candidates to do a free sample edit (It is against Upwork's ToS to ask for free work), and one of them reported her to Upwork.  Her post is likely to have been removed, or she would have been asked to edit it - hence the "accidental" deletion.  The reasons given for refusing you are probably just given in a list, and she may simply have clicked on one randomly. 

Never question a client's motives. Whatever reason they give, is the one they believe. If you call them out on it, it won't advance your case, and will simply annoy them. It would be interesting though to see if your (almost) client actually hired anyone for the job. It can sometimes be galling, but it is best to simply move on. 

[By the way, although generally inadvisable,  it is not against UW's rules and regs for a freelancer to do free work, but it must be voluntarily offered.  I will sometimes do a sentence translation or a  very small sample edit if the client shows some of the text to be worked on. But I only do this, if I don't have a sample in my portfolio  (not shown with my profile) that is similar to the client's work.]

586867c6
Community Member

Thank you for your response. Yes, I ordinarily refrain from questioning a client's motives. However, in this case, it just seemed so peculiar as well as untrue.  If I ever feel the need to question a client, I realize that he/she is not someone I wish to work with. I have a strong inkling that someone did most likely report her, and she was dishonest in explaining her deletion. That is a very astute observation you offered.. Thank you for your insights!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths