🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Red flags to avoid?
Page options
77067c31
Community Member

Red flags to avoid?

I'm a new freelancer here and am still trying to figure out how this works. Is it normal for clients to request to message on Skype? Also, are written interviews common? The client also requested I provide my contact information so she can mail and email me the employment offer letter. Payment is verified but they have no hires. I would love to learn about some tips for accepting legit job offers. Thank you guys in advance!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pgiambalvo
Community Member

This is a scam. Do not reply to them. And because there are so many scams here, it has become normal for this to happen, especially to new freelancers. Here are some great tips to stay safe: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
pgiambalvo
Community Member

This is a scam. Do not reply to them. And because there are so many scams here, it has become normal for this to happen, especially to new freelancers. Here are some great tips to stay safe: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Thank you, Peter! I blocked them and flagged the job posting. 

That's totaly true, is full of scam here, I came to make a post to warn all of you of something that happened to me today, and I found this topic.

Upwork, you need to take a closer look and maybe put the offers under review before publishing them. Is full of people with 20 open jobs and 0 hires, full of clients who have 20 to 50 relevant proposals and 0 interviews, and of course, the scamers. This is not ok, freelancers are spending their conects and time sending valulable proposals to clients who only wants to do market research here and have no intentions at all in hirig. 

Today I confronted a 100% scamer from**Edited for community guidelines**who put a link to his Telegram channel in the offer and that passed the filter! A Telegram channel link in an offer. So I decided to go further and see what he was seeking, and send him a message via Telegram. After interviewing me with several questions about my methods, process, technical design things, he sent me a PDF with the "terms and conditions" to work with them.

The PDF says that you have to PAY A FEE (it depends in the project about 50 to 80 USD) as a caution in case they don't like your work. If they like your work, they are going to pay you for the full project. A total fraud. I confirmed he was a scamer and send a red flag to support in the offer he did here.

Please, you need to take a better look Upwork, this is not ok. Freelancers, be very carefull.

Best!

Mercedes A. Gonzalez

Mercedes A. G wrote:

Today I confronted a 100% scamer from**Edited for community guidelines**who put a link to his Telegram channel in the offer and that passed the filter! A Telegram channel link in an offer. So I decided to go further and see what he was seeking, and send him a message via Telegram.

Freelancers would also be filters if they stopped communicating outside of Upwork

Communicating outside of Upwork before being hired on Upwork is a violation of the Terms of Service (ToS).

Totally scams.. I was just testing it now and lo and behold, I got an incredible offer but had to pay a 'security deposit'. What a joke, luckily I'm too wakey for these clowns. So rather not respond to any job where there's a request to make contact via telegram or any other way unless it's through this platform. 

Yes, we have enough experience here and we are lucky to have the criteria to know this is a clear scamer, but I'm afraid many people are getting into this fraud. I just texted him to see with my own eyes how they works and the fraud method. He even sent me the PDF with the "caution fee" thing. Terrible...

Mercedes A. Gonzalez
taran-tj
Community Member

Hi @Bianca, 

Please be aware of these kinds of clients because they are complete spam and they will only take money from you. They are not a client, they are using upwork to steal money from the freelancers. 

f77d093c
Community Member

I'm new here too. Here is my first job and first experience. We contracted with my client for 2 milestones. I started working for the first milestone and finished it in 2 days in 16 hours in total. When I looked at the contract to confirm, it was paused by upwork. I said that I will send the file after she solve her the problem. but she released my money saying she couldn't wait. After seeing the money in my upwork account, I sent the file from upwork chat. 1 day after that, I got a message from Upwork that the client has refunded her money back..I really don't know how can she refund after release. And i lost my trust here..

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to learn about your experience, Musa. 

I can see that you already have an open support ticket regarding your concern. A team member handling your ticket will continue assisting you and will share more information with you through your open support ticket. If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to post it on the same ticket thread so that you can be assisted further.

~ Avery
Upwork
f77d093c
Community Member

still no answer?

Hi Musa,

I went ahead and followed up with the team handling your support ticket. You should expect a reply soon.

~Andrea
Upwork
f77d093c
Community Member

my ticket closed without answer but thanks

Hi Musa,

I checked and see that you have an open ticket. Please allow time for the team to review and update you directly on the same ticket. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths