🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Should I only put in proposals on payment...
Page options
c_faber
Community Member

Should I only put in proposals on payment verified clients?

I am worried about the payment verification with clients. Does this mean they may not be legitimate? When does a client have to have a payment verification?

12 REPLIES 12
mtngigi
Community Member

@Carol F wrote:

I am worried about the payment verification with clients. Does this mean they may not be legitimate? When does a client have to have a payment verification?

It only means that they're new to the site clients, that's it. They are not required to verify anything until they actually hire someone.

As long as you do no work until payment methods are verified and milestones funded, or time tracker used for hourly contracts, there's no need for worry. A vast majority of jobs I bid on are new unverified clients, and I've never had a problem. If you're new to the site, take some time to learn how things work before bidding:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/td-p/264214

sergio-soria
Community Member

It usually happens with new clients because they can post a job without adding their credit card. It's not that they are not legitimate. What is important is that you accept a contract only once their payment method is verified and money is in escrow.

Hi,

I recently did a job ‘classified Ads’ posting properties on two web sites. Was told the job would be offered and paid through Upworks. However, when completed they said I’ll keep in touch, outlining payment would be provided after seven days. I’ve just noticed a similar job posting and believe they are canvassing to avoid agency fees with no intention of providing payment.

Is this likely to be the case?

Help new to Upworks

Emma

@Emma S wrote:
I recently did a job ‘classified Ads’ posting properties on two web sites. Was told the job would be offered and paid through Upworks. However, when completed they said I’ll keep in touch, outlining payment would be provided after seven days.

Were you HIRED before doing the work? I mean: When you go to your My Jobs Page - can you see the contract?

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

mtngigi
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:

@Emma S wrote:
I recently did a job ‘classified Ads’ posting properties on two web sites. Was told the job would be offered and paid through Upworks. However, when completed they said I’ll keep in touch, outlining payment would be provided after seven days.

Were you HIRED before doing the work? I mean: When you go to your My Jobs Page - can you see the contract?

I'm guessing no.  Smiley Wink

petra_r
Community Member

@Virginia F wrote:

I mean: When you go to your My Jobs Page - can you see the contract?

I'm guessing no.  Smiley Wink

me too....

Hi Petra,

No job offer!

I kind of know because when asked to post one of the properties on **Edited for community guidelines** you are only allowed one free listing.

There’s a similar advert that’s been posted today...

Thanks for the diagram.

Emma

Emma S wrote:
Hi Petra,

No job offer!

I kind of know because when asked to post one of the properties on SmartRoom.co.uk you are only allowed one free listing.

There’s a similar advert that’s been posted today...

Thanks for the diagram.

Emma

Emma - do everyone and yourself a favour and read this thread written and compiled by Upwork staff for newcomers and also read Upwork's terms and conditions before applying for any more jobs:  

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

Sorry everyone,

Genuinely so keen to get started and feel extremely stupid.

Won’t make the same mistakes and will read the below too.

Emma

@Emma S wrote:
Sorry everyone,

Genuinely so keen to get started and feel extremely stupid.

Won’t make the same mistakes and will read the below too.

Emma

Most of us make mistakes - but once we have been burned we try to help others not to burn themselves too. 😉

Hi Emma,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this client.  When working on Upwork, please don't provide any work until your client send you an offer and a contract is created under your My Jobs tab, and ensuring that they have a verified billing method so that the work you do can be covered by Upwork Payment Protection is also a good idea. I'd suggest browsing this thread which has helpful tips for new users and you can also check out this thread for tips on avoiding suspicious jobs and scams if you haven't already.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you Bojan,

Appreciate your help.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths